Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

nix_crash
01.06.2012 , 06:40 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Perlexia View Post
To alleviate this i can think of several solutions. I am aware that these bring along other balance issues in PVP. They are only suggestions, and there is more discussion required:

- Give melee dps higher DPS which should even out sustained DPS over a fight, because they cant DPS some bosses for the same duration than ranged can.
- Increase their mobility
- Give them some sort of AOE mitigation.
wrong, the best solution is always to change the encounter, not the chars or when the encounter dont get these mechanic the changed char would get an unsurmonteable advantage (not counting pvp drama).
just remove most melee-range aoe from bosses, changing those skill to cleaves that force melee in the "right" position (so some boss would get a frontal cleave or a backward cleave and so on, if you known the mechanic you can position yourself in the "safe" zone and do full dps, if you dont you get full damage) but dont punish them to be at melee range and make sure that the aoe skills target only players over a certain range from the boss and act more often than melee range skills.

nix_crash
01.06.2012 , 06:56 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by ddayyy View Post
There is no easy fix to this. Remember if you make the bosses do ranged aoe (i.e. just affect players far away from the boss) the ranged classes will just move in and fight him near the melee. The range do the same amount of damage close by the boss as far away, so it's no prob for them.

If the aoe is close by, the melee lose a massive amount of dps.

One solution here is to have all AOE with massive range ... so it affects both range and melee dps, to make it fair.
so, you want all fight become tank and spank, with no mechanics, no necessity of positioning and so on?
booring.

Perlexia
01.06.2012 , 07:08 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by nix_crash View Post
wrong, the best solution is always to change the encounter, not the chars or when the encounter dont get these mechanic the changed char would get an unsurmonteable advantage (not counting pvp drama).
just remove most melee-range aoe from bosses, changing those skill to cleaves that force melee in the "right" position (so some boss would get a frontal cleave or a backward cleave and so on, if you known the mechanic you can position yourself in the "safe" zone and do full dps, if you dont you get full damage) but dont punish them to be at melee range and make sure that the aoe skills target only players over a certain range from the boss and act more often than melee range skills.
You are right, but I have said a couple of times in the thread, that the best solution would probably be more thoughtful encounter design. Just isnt in the 1st post.

Occams_Razor
01.07.2012 , 03:29 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by nix_crash View Post
so, you want all fight become tank and spank, with no mechanics, no necessity of positioning and so on?
booring.
Come now, no one said that. In fact, creating interesting mechanics that do not excessively punish melee DPS wouldn't really be that hard. Leaving a "safe zone" in the damage area, like cleaves instead of bursts, or if the AoE is intended to create a healing complication, make it unlimited range. Making the movement instigation something that pops up under people's feet and can affect melee and ranged equally (though this can be excessively punishing to Melee DPS if they hit a string of RNG bad-luck and suddenly the boss is surrounded by zones of damage).

The point is that it's probably pretty easy to focus on mechanics which don't naturally disadvantage DPS players, but because the burst AoE centered on the boss is such a trope of the genre, it keeps worming it's way into every game. Leaving out that one mechanic will not make all fights tank and spank.

Nylirr
01.07.2012 , 03:47 PM | #95
The best fix for this without affecting pvp balance would be to make X fights that favour melee and X fights that favour ranged.
Pancaeks.

Terrahero
01.07.2012 , 05:16 PM | #96
I would like to point out that alot of encounters may seem melee unfriendly, there are definatly some encounters that are a major pain for me and my Sniper.

A very recent experience with the engineer boss in Boarding party HM, he is constantly doing knockbacks all over the place. This is a major ********* on my dps, interupting my long casts, or channeled attacks.

Similarly awefull is the last boss in BT (hm), her ranged pull ability is constantly interupting my abilities and casts. Especially awefull on the long-cooldown channels, getting it interupted just as i use it means my energy is gone, cooldown is up, damage is zero. Not to mention the short lasting proc (4.5sec) i lose with the running away, costs me the use of one of my strongest attacks.

And there are plenty other bosses and cases where i am moved, or forced to move. And as a caster dps this is a massive strain on my dps output. So the biggest issue with melee is rather that they take more damage and this make them more a risk of dying, great example being boarding party. Its not the lost dps that makes melee a poor choice, but the fact they take much more damage. And as a result are damn near impossible to keep alive.

Boarding party in specific needs some work, but the melee problem could be fixed with 1 single change. Fire bomb hits only 1 target and not aoe, done, melee and ranged are both equally adequate.