Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Global Market suggested prices...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Global Market suggested prices...

Latsabb
01.05.2012 , 05:09 AM | #1
Hello, I am new, so this might be a stupid question. And for that, I am sorry.

Anyway, I ran out of room, and decided to start dumping off spare stuff on the Global Market. Searching for the items in that window is cumbersome to say the least, which becomes a REAL pain in the butt when I have a ton to sell, and dont know the prices of any of them. But, when I go to the sell tab, and right click an item, it comes up with a price automatically to start with. Is that based on actual market data, kind of like an "average" selling price, or is it a static price that BW came up with? I ask, because I think I just sold a ton of scavenging things for dirt cheap... I might not have, but they sold so fast, I am a bit freaked out.

Thanks!

Maurdiib
01.05.2012 , 05:50 AM | #2
I've spent a good long time buying, trading, and selling so far, but don't quote me because mostly what I learn in this game is from purely anecdotal evidence.

I think the price or value automatically provided represents an intrinsic value calculated by the stats, the level, and rarity of the item in question - as well as any modifications. The worth, not the actual value, of an item depends mostly upon subjective terms (i.e. how much someone is willing to pay for something they really want or need as opposed to it's actual value).

There is of course, the constant of supply and demand; constantly shifting high demand/short supply and vice versa, but constantly shifting nonetheless. To truly figure a price to list your sale, consider your target market. How many of that particular (or even similar) item have been seen by the players of the relevant level? How many players of a particular class want that particular item? Is the item, or something stat equivalent, available at a vendor or as a quest reward? If available at a vendor, what's the price of that item. Are people lazy enough to just right-out buy your item on the market instead of grind for it? Obviously the list goes on for much more than that, but try to ask yourself some of these questions. Make it a habit of inspecting players to see what they are wearing. Also make it a habit of seeing what the item is going for on the market from all available sellers.

Despite all of this, you will find that most of it is intuition. Also make note that you can, and will, occasionally sell items for far more than the suggested sale price. A lot of it truly boils down to supply and demand though.

To answer the last part of your question, I couldn't really say from your information provided whether or not you got ripped off. All I can say that your items sold because you either supplied a fair price, the person truly needed them and had to buy them (supply and demand), or you actually did under-price them.

Also, if you find yourself constantly putting the same items on the market and getting them returned to you due to listing expiry, you should probably just sell them to a vendor. I often times just give stuff away too. You never know, you might make a bigger profit way down the road doing something like that.

I hope I helped.

-Azimov-
01.05.2012 , 06:30 AM | #3
When I checked one item it was 4.5x what a vendor would pay me for it.
So it was much more profitable than just vendoring them even if I reduced that price.
I havent done extensive test to see if this ratio holds true for all items, I just wanted to make sure it didnt default to vendor price which would make bothering to put in on GTN a waste of time.

Latsabb
01.05.2012 , 06:44 AM | #4
Ok, so it is not an average price, based on what is/has been for sale before, like in some games. Damn. That means I will actually need to sift through each one with the cumbersome filter BS... I wish I could just search by name without having to screw around with the drop boxes.