Implement Non-Cross Server Dungeon Finder System (So That the Community is Untouched)

Xugos

A lot of people automatically revert to "the community will be destroyed" when a dungeon finder is proposed, but that's largely because when they think of the concept of a "dungeon finder," they immediately think to WoW where the system was cross-server and teleported you to the dungeon.

If Bioware created a dungeon finder system where there was NO teleportation to the instance and where the only thing that happened was the creation of the group, there would be absolutely no detrimental effect to the community.

As long as the dungeon finder is limited to players within the same server, I see no reason why the community would be destroyed. It would just mean that you could quest instead of loiter at the Republic/Imperial fleet. It would make the over-all process far less tedious.

TL;DR: implement a dungeon finder that is not cross-server. This way the community is not harmed. Think WoW LFG system pre patch 3.1 during WotLK.

Edited by Xugos

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be nice honestly. Would make running flashpoints easier. Don't know why it's not in now. And if it is then well... damn that UI is worse than I thought (mediocre as is).

Wait wasn't that the WoW LFG system pre-Wrath???

Edited by Darkfailz

I don't think anyone would be opposed to a system such as this. All it would do is essentially automate the constant spamming in various chat channels you currently have to do to form a group for flashpoints. All it does is reduce the tedium.

It really wouldn't take much to improve on the system they've already got without implementing any sort of auto-group LFG queue.

You can already list yourself as looking for a group and add a short note about what you're looking for and which role you are. What they need to do is break that information off into a separate UI window that shows people across every zone/planet and can be sorted by level range, role, desired instance etc.

Then you can just form your own groups up a lot easier without having to resort to auto-group zombie mode cross server LFG stuff.

Why does there haft to be a LFG? WoW and Rift are the only MMOs that have this.

Because it was a good idea?

Just because another game has a good tool idea doesn't mean it should be shunned from existence when that mmo ruins it along with the community.

If wow had left LFD server side only I doubt it would be the same.

Cross server is what ruined many peoples opinion on the LFD tool in wow. No accountability as the chances of running into people on your server were slim to none meaning if people wanted they could just be dbags and terrorize groups or just leave and reque with totally new people.

A server only version hampers this as you will probably know the people you will be put in group with and if you act like a dbag then your name will be spread like the plague and you will find doing anything social on your server very hard after a few times of acting like your 12.

WoW and rift isnt the only ones that have LFG. LotRO has a LFG and a grp join, also they have an instance finder that after completing prerequisite quest you can enter that said instance from anywhere. I would love to see something like that with a LFG.

how bout no to the randomly assigned dungeon finder and just give us a LFG/LFM panel where we can put our own groups together. :)

Please say why you feel this would be superior.

Why does there haft to be a LFG? WoW and Rift are the only MMOs that have this.

we don't have to have it, but an intuitive easy to use group finding system would make finding flashpoints alot easier, and you wuoldent haev to sit in fleet to do it, thus, more people would use it, thus, the system would be more effective. Group findign tools grow exponetionally in usefulness the more popular they become.

Seriously? Flashpoint finder? Here's why not:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1185950#post1185950

Community is about finding friends to run with, learning about people and building relationships for later. Not getting a group in 10 sec, getting your loot and moving on.

And using an archaic 2004 grouping concept will mean you will make less friends to run with, you will spend less time learning and building relationships. I don't know about you, but i talk alot more when i am planning an elite pull than I do while waiting for a group to fill up. "Yo, found a healer yet?" "no." "ok. gonna quest while you lfm."

Community is about finding friends to run with, learning about people and building relationships for later. Not getting a group in 10 sec, getting your loot and moving on.

Im sorry but how do you come to the conclusion that its any different?

You spam LFG/LFM get random people you run the fp with them if you like them you friend them and bam.

You que up you meet people in the same random fashion you run with them if you liek them you friend them..

Theres really no difference lol.

I never once experienced the community or building relationships from attempting to form a group for two hours back in bc, every single night. The only thing I experienced was frustration, and then failure, when someone had to leave after the first 15 minutes, or as 2-3 people left before the group even formed. I don't see the point in limiting a group finder to one server only, and I certainly don't see the point of arguing against it completely.

Please say why you feel this would be superior.

Because it doesnt involve throwing me into a group with randomly selected players.

I forget that everyone only knows about WoW and not some of the other LFG/LFM tools around. Infact I know nothing of WoW's system because well the game was crap IMHO from the start, but thats a whole other topic.

System Im talking about is just another panel in the who window, you can create an LFM that states what quest/flashpoint/op you are intending to run, it allows you to select the level range and classes you would like to join, and it allows you to add any other comments that might pertain to the group. ie: Zerg run, roleplayers only, companion looting OK.

Enter the info in and hit create group, the group is listed in the LFM panel and all players on the server can see it, those that fit the criteria (level,class or other) click join and the party leader chooses to accept or decline the person.

I personally feel that a system like this would improve the community and grouping. People with like minded interests can find groups with others that play like them. This allows groups to be formed to *OUR* preferences and filled by players *WE* chose to group with.