Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Clarification PLEASE

Ultrakupness
01.05.2012 , 12:37 AM | #1
I said something about this in guild and my guild erupted with a yes you can/no you can't explosion with no real clarity when it was done. I then googled the same question to find the same yes you can/no you can't banter I'd just witnessed in game. So here goes...

Are Keyboard/Mouse macros bannable?

I'm not talking about automated scripting, I'm talking about simple macros like binding two similar abilities to the same keyboard macro key.

Ex: Sith Warriors two rage building abilities, Battering Assault and Assault. Since Battering Assault has a 12 second CD I'd like to be able to (in game) keybind Battering Assault to F11 and Assault to F12, then set up my keyboard profile to make my G4 button press the button combo F11,F12 resulting in not having to watch that CD (or have it take up two prime real estate action bar slots), casting Battering Assault when it's up and Assault when it's not.

Common sense would tell me that this is fine since SWTOR has an officially licensed KB and Mouse (both by Razr) boasting the ability to do exactly what I just described up to 10 keystrokes per button. However based on the mix of information available on the topic I'd rather not have to argue with Bioware/EA regarding why my common sense got me banned.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

*Sorry this is a double post from the Customer Service board, but threads get buried there in about 2 minutes.
Lunchbox Wanted on Twelve Systems Sith Wyrm

Blackxdragon
01.05.2012 , 01:56 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrakupness View Post
I said something about this in guild and my guild erupted with a yes you can/no you can't explosion with no real clarity when it was done. I then googled the same question to find the same yes you can/no you can't banter I'd just witnessed in game. So here goes...

Are Keyboard/Mouse macros bannable?

I'm not talking about automated scripting, I'm talking about simple macros like binding two similar abilities to the same keyboard macro key.

Ex: Sith Warriors two rage building abilities, Battering Assault and Assault. Since Battering Assault has a 12 second CD I'd like to be able to (in game) keybind Battering Assault to F11 and Assault to F12, then set up my keyboard profile to make my G4 button press the button combo F11,F12 resulting in not having to watch that CD (or have it take up two prime real estate action bar slots), casting Battering Assault when it's up and Assault when it's not.

Common sense would tell me that this is fine since SWTOR has an officially licensed KB and Mouse (both by Razr) boasting the ability to do exactly what I just described up to 10 keystrokes per button. However based on the mix of information available on the topic I'd rather not have to argue with Bioware/EA regarding why my common sense got me banned.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

*Sorry this is a double post from the Customer Service board, but threads get buried there in about 2 minutes.
This is what is stated under the Terms of Service (#11)

Quote:
- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
When you are using the mouse, it is a "macro" software that controls the button for the mouse, so the answer is YES it is bannable.
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." -Darth Malak

shama
01.05.2012 , 02:40 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrakupness View Post
Common sense would tell me that this is fine since SWTOR has an officially licensed KB and Mouse (both by Razr) boasting the ability to do exactly what I just described up to 10 keystrokes per button.
Sorry, I don't have an answer but did want to clear up some confusion. That keyboard isn't advertised as doing '10 keystrokes per button' ... it is saying that it can have 10 buttons pressed at once. Most keyboards can only recognise 3 or 4 key presses at a time, which means if you try and press 6 keys at once (say) then only the first 3 or 4 will be detected by the hardware/software. With this keyboard you could press 10 keys at once and have them all individually recognised.

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/keyboard

shama
01.05.2012 , 02:42 AM | #4
Oh and it is anti-ghosting of 'up to 10' keys, which means that depending on which keys you press you may still only be able to press 3 or 4 at once