Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is a security key worth the hassle?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is a security key worth the hassle?

PalawaJoko
12.14.2011 , 12:15 AM | #11
Never been hacked in any MMO whatsoever, but I still like the idea of extra security. So it's definately worth the hassle.
..{⋤⋥}_________+
../ΞΞ/‾|└‾⌋_/\∏∏∏/
./Ξ/
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

Lord_Itharius
12.14.2011 , 12:16 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinIONengines View Post
I don't find it a hassle and I enjoy the added peace of mind.

Never had my account hacked before or after... but then again I never fell for the "your account is expiring" emails either.
You didn't have to. I've been keylogged browsing wowhead and alakazham.
"can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out." - battlebug

Taelin
12.14.2011 , 12:16 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Itharius View Post
They were in WoW. I was hacked about 4 times before switching to the authenticator, after which I was never hacked again.
Then you were doing something to get yourself hacked.

I have never been hacked, in any game, ever, and I've never used a security authenticator.

As long as you don't share your password, or go downloading random, untrustworthy mods, you shouldn't need one.

Is it still a good idea to have one? Yes.

Why? Because it's extra security "just in case", never a bad thing.

Am I going to get one this time? Yes.

Why? Because hackers have stepped up their game and are attacking company servers now, instead of just phishing or compromises the computer illiterate.

Plus, it's $4, that's only $.50 more than it costs me to buy a pint of Guinness at the bar.
☼Quixotic☼
- Juyo Server -
www.quixotic-guild.net

Selestian
12.14.2011 , 12:17 AM | #14
Any clue when they are gonna have smart phone versions of this?

Nobrandminda
12.14.2011 , 12:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DormantX View Post
Would it be too much of a pain to have to fondle with your phone/key-chain every time you want to log-in? You need a new password every time, I just don't see how this could be preferred. This will be my first pay2play, so is security/hackers really this big of an issue?
Very much worth getting. You barely even notice it after a while.

I've never been hacked myself, but I've had it happen to several friends (including one or two guild leaders, which has a way of ruining your plans for the week).

Also, as a bonus, you get access to the Security Vendor, and by the way, does anyone know what he sells? Surely one of the CE owners from Europe has gotten to play with their Security Key activated by now.

Taelin
12.14.2011 , 12:17 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Selestian View Post
Any clue when they are gonna have smart phone versions of this?
Probably the same time they ship the hardware keys.
☼Quixotic☼
- Juyo Server -
www.quixotic-guild.net

Jackobite
12.14.2011 , 12:17 AM | #17
Yeah wow handles the authenticator pretty well now, once you put it in its fine until I reset the router

If they come up with one for iphone Ill prob get it, I know one of my guildies in Rift got hacked they got it sorted but it took days.

DormantX
12.14.2011 , 12:18 AM | #18
Alrighty, I'm convinced. I'll get the free app. And use it. And stuff.
It's a wonderful world.

Intertus
12.14.2011 , 12:18 AM | #19
I am going to wait on the Mobile Auth. to be released. Should be along soon, hopefully. I would prefer the Mobile one over the Key-Fob, but if it'll take a while(6+ months) I'll pick one up.

Lord_Itharius
12.14.2011 , 12:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
As long as you don't share your password, or go downloading random, untrustworthy mods, you shouldn't need one.
This isn't true at all. Your account info can be keylogged as easily as having your web browser open on any page while logging into WoW through the client. All the hackers need is to run a java script that captures your input and boom, account hacked. And once they get in once, they'll try for it again and again, even if you change your password. These hacks were before Blizzard made the authenticator.
"can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out." - battlebug