Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is a security key worth the hassle?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is a security key worth the hassle?

DormantX
12.14.2011 , 12:05 AM | #1
Would it be too much of a pain to have to fondle with your phone/key-chain every time you want to log-in? You need a new password every time, I just don't see how this could be preferred. This will be my first pay2play, so is security/hackers really this big of an issue?

Lord_Itharius
12.14.2011 , 12:06 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DormantX View Post
Would it be too much of a pain to have to fondle with your phone/key-chain every time you want to log-in? You need a new password every time, I just don't see how this could be preferred. This will be my first pay2play, so is security/hackers really this big of an issue?
They were in WoW. I was hacked about 4 times before switching to the authenticator, after which I was never hacked again.

SWTOR probably has a few months before hackers start targeting people's accounts for credits and farming.
"can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out." - battlebug

TiiRahnedancer
12.14.2011 , 12:08 AM | #3
It's really not much of a hassle at all. Push button, enter code, play.

TwinIONengines
12.14.2011 , 12:09 AM | #4
I don't find it a hassle and I enjoy the added peace of mind.

Never had my account hacked before or after... but then again I never fell for the "your account is expiring" emails either.
(███████████████████▐▐▌▌Θ▐▐▌▌███████████████████)

Starsunder
12.14.2011 , 12:09 AM | #5
Very worth getting, I've had one since there were released on WOW.

You can also get the Mobile APP when they release.

I got the CE so I get one launch day hehe
The Dark Hand
Casualcore PVE Raiding Guild | Giradda the Hutt Server

jtype_sw
12.14.2011 , 12:10 AM | #6
Not worth itCODE]nticator, it's a huge hassle and not worth the 5 seconds it takes to input the key.

While you're at it, don't lock your house and car doors either.

scarbeard
12.14.2011 , 12:11 AM | #7
I've never used one, but for like $7 shipped I figured it was worth a shot. If it ends up being to confusing for an older gent such as myself, I guess I could not use it.

Diablo_the_lord
12.14.2011 , 12:11 AM | #8
I got hacked once in WoW after I quit, so I put an authenticator on it and bam. Never happened again. Its not that much of an inconvenience, either. It takes like 10 seconds longer to log in.

Bovronius
12.14.2011 , 12:12 AM | #9
I never had my account hacked... but had enough guildies and friends get their accounts stolen that it was manditory for anyone with any guild bank access in my guild..

It is completely worth it.. (Especially if they do mobile version)

Rishimaze
12.14.2011 , 12:13 AM | #10
The way the authenticator is set up with WoW now is if im using the same computer to login that ive been using I dont even have to put in a code. They will likely switch to this or start with this but even if they don't it will definitely be worth the tiny amount of time spent. Never fun logging in to naked characters.