Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Am I In The Wrong?

kedirakevo
01.04.2012 , 09:40 PM | #1
I was playing a flashpoint with a group, and its the first time something like this happened to me....

Im a DPS Commando, and throughout the instance I was DPSing things, grabbing aggro and stuff... Towards the end the group members got hostile and started calling me names and such, chiding me for not allowing the tank to... TANK...

I have grouped with others before and never came across a group thats soooo uptight regarding the whole thing. Really not a fun experience. I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.

When I played other mmos, Im usually the tank, notably Lord Of The Rings Online. As a tank I dont go screaming @ DPSers who out aggro me as long as you aren the cause of a wipe or anything.

So, any comments?

Inasogard
01.04.2012 , 09:55 PM | #2
Tanking can be a lot more difficult in this game than others due to the lack of attacks having build in threat.

If other games I loved having someone like that chain pulling as I grabbed aggro. Here is a little differant...

Speaking as a Jug tank, single target there is not to many issues, but when chain pulls are coming, AoE threat is near non existant and can be frustrating and put more strain on the healer when doing what you explained..

woocls
01.04.2012 , 09:58 PM | #3
yeah, it really depends on the level range. If your tank has enough moves to regain threat if it should come to that or your healer has enough healing to keep everyone alive it should be fine. But at lower levels it can be very hard on both the tank and the healer.

Igualmente
01.04.2012 , 10:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kedirakevo View Post
I was playing a flashpoint with a group, and its the first time something like this happened to me....

Im a DPS Commando, and throughout the instance I was DPSing things, grabbing aggro and stuff... Towards the end the group members got hostile and started calling me names and such, chiding me for not allowing the tank to... TANK...

I have grouped with others before and never came across a group thats soooo uptight regarding the whole thing. Really not a fun experience. I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.

When I played other mmos, Im usually the tank, notably Lord Of The Rings Online. As a tank I dont go screaming @ DPSers who out aggro me as long as you aren the cause of a wipe or anything.

So, any comments?
I think you are in the wrong. Just let the tank do his job. I usually attack the same target as the tank, just so it's harder for me to grab aggro instead.`

IMABUNNEH
01.04.2012 , 10:09 PM | #5
From a tank point of view:

It depends on the flashpoint, the level, and the outcome. If pulling aggro wasn't causing deaths, or causing the healer too much work, then it's not an issue. HOWEVER if the tank asked you to try not to pull aggro earlier in the instance, was probably better to do so before they turned nasty.

Tbh some of the 50 HM FPs we know sprint through, I barely tank at all, other than taking initial aggro, since our Sorcerers can just rip it off me anyway. Things die fast in most FPs, and don't OMGINSTAKILL anyone. So if, for example you were doing something easy, then they were probably a little uptight.

If it caused any deaths or panic situations, or you'd been asked nicely first and just ignored them, then yes you were in the wrong, and should pay attention to the group dynamic.
<FUSE>

SelinaH
01.04.2012 , 10:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by kedirakevo View Post
I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.
If the primary reason why there were no deaths or wipes was because both the tank and healer were really on the ball despite having to work extra hard just to make sure everyone stayed upright, then you're in the wrong.

If the entire mission was a cakewalk for everyone involved, then they overreacted.

Faryon
01.04.2012 , 10:15 PM | #7
I play as an Assassin tank and I've realized that in many situations I just make it worse by trying to control all the mobs of a large pull. The damage dealers should be more than capable of taking care of normal and weak mobs without taking too much damage and my regular healer (Operative) prefers to throw an extra hot on a DD rather than having to spam heal me because the entire pull is hitting me.

Of course if the DDs start breaking CCed targets I get a bit annoyed since it can be a pain to get aggro if I'm not the initiator and taunt is on CD.

My advice: Always let the tank initiate a pull and give him/her at least 2-3 sec before you start AoE nuking. Don't overnuke strong and elite mobs. Don't break CCed targets before the tank. And don't worry too much if you get aggro on a few normal or weak mobs because you should be able to kill them off before the healer REALLY needs to heal you.

Aerithel
01.04.2012 , 10:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaH View Post
If the primary reason why there were no deaths or wipes was because both the tank and healer were really on the ball despite having to work extra hard just to make sure everyone stayed upright, then you're in the wrong.

If the entire mission was a cakewalk for everyone involved, then they overreacted.
Quote: Originally Posted by Faryon
My advice: Always let the tank initiate a pull and give him/her at least 2-3 sec before you start AoE nuking. Don't overnuke strong and elite mobs. Don't break CCed targets before the tank. And don't worry too much if you get aggro on a few normal or weak mobs because you should be able to kill them off before the healer REALLY needs to heal you.
My sentiments exactly.

Avanaco
01.04.2012 , 10:22 PM | #9
Yeah you were wrong.

There's a couple things that make tanking trickier in this game than in "that other game".

1. Ranged mobs are the majority not the minority. This means that aoe tank scenarios, a tank often has to hold onto mobs at range with poor ranged threat ability. Couple this with fairly long cool downs, and you as a dps need to start being more careful: focus down targets, nuke out weak/reg mobs fast, etc.

2. Threat is dps based. We get a threat multipler, but the base threat being generated prior to thr stance multiplier is the same a dps would be generating with poor gear and an unoptinized spec. This means that it is your responsibility to watch your targets more carefully. It also means that it's more challenging for the tank to "rip" threat off dps when they dot have a taunt available.

Dps in this game need to be far more careful. It's also irritating that tanks don't look as "great" when they play as in that other game simply ecause mechanics are designed to make it more challenging and teamwork demanding.

tehdonno
01.04.2012 , 11:34 PM | #10
Just go on the weak/normal mobs first, I never bother with them when I'm tanking, theyre just a hassle to get to and they die in a few hits anyway. After they're killed go on the tanks target or just pick up a strong mob yourself.

As long as you follow this and kill weakest -> strongest it's a cakewalk, and makes it easier for the tank because tanking a pack of 5-6 ranged mobs is just impossible anyway.