Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

Zimbra
05.10.2012 , 11:47 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Sharee View Post
It definitely is possible to crit on gathering a node, however it seems to be extraordinarily rare. I have been playing since day 1 of early access, and i have crit on manual gathering exactly once. It was a slicing node, and it gave me a blue-border money box(along with a normal white-border one). The blue box contained about 500 credits while the white only contained about 100. (it was on corusant, during the first week of early access)

If i knew at that time how rare it was i'd have taken a screenshot
Just to go back to this idea, do we have confirmation on whether a companion's critical bonus on a gathering skill (e.g. Akaavi Spar on Bioanalysis, or M1-4X on Scavenging) affects node-gathering in the world?

It would make sense if it did, since there are distinct options in game for either having your character gather the node or having your companion do it - which is to say, a node that is close to some mobs, where you can reach it but your companion might take a step too far, would cause you to have to fight those mobs if you want the shot at getting extra materials from your companion's superior gathering skill.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who seem to think that a companion's gathering skill bonus has no effect on how much you'll get from a node (which is usually two, three or four of the item in question).

So which is it? Is it worth having T7-01 out to slice those Durasteel Footlockers on Ilum, does anyone know? Are Inquisitors who force Talos Drellik to dig in the dirt for Primeval Artifacts just wasting their time?

Thanks kindly in advance

TheRealBowser
05.10.2012 , 02:28 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Zimbra View Post
Just to go back to this idea, do we have confirmation on whether a companion's critical bonus on a gathering skill (e.g. Akaavi Spar on Bioanalysis, or M1-4X on Scavenging) affects node-gathering in the world?

It would make sense if it did, since there are distinct options in game for either having your character gather the node or having your companion do it - which is to say, a node that is close to some mobs, where you can reach it but your companion might take a step too far, would cause you to have to fight those mobs if you want the shot at getting extra materials from your companion's superior gathering skill.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who seem to think that a companion's gathering skill bonus has no effect on how much you'll get from a node (which is usually two, three or four of the item in question).

So which is it? Is it worth having T7-01 out to slice those Durasteel Footlockers on Ilum, does anyone know? Are Inquisitors who force Talos Drellik to dig in the dirt for Primeval Artifacts just wasting their time?

Thanks kindly in advance
You don't critical on nodes. Some slicing nodes occasionally have uncommon items, but nowhere near the level of crew missions. The main reason I (very strongly) believe gathering nodes do cannot 'crit' and do not receive companion critical bonuses, is because efficiency bonuses have no effect whatsoever on gathering nodes, and this I *have* tested.

Considering the chance to get uncommon items from slicing nodes is probably less than 1/100, if you received a bonus 2% chance, you'd absolutely notice. No other nodes give you bonus items regardless, and they would not have slicing nodes 'crit' and the other gathering nodes not.

So, to hopefully lay this to rest, gathering nodes *do not* critically hit nor do companions have any effect whatsoever on gathering them, only on the missions. You are welcome to test this yourself and come to your own conclusions, but this is my conclusion based off the tests and information I have gathered.

PS: Regardless of whether or not you believe gathering nodes 'crit' or not, I can say with absolute certainty, that crew skill bonuses have zero effect on gathering nodes.

Lazirus-
05.12.2012 , 05:07 PM | #223
What an incredibly helpful guide.

Thank you for your hard work; subscribed and 5 star'd.
"It is said correctly that law exists not for the just but for the unjust, for the just carry the law in their hearts, and do not need to call it from afar."
Master Fitze Felix | Jedi Shadow | The Harbinger

pahbi
05.12.2012 , 10:14 PM | #224
While I appreciate the hard work that likely went into this guide.

Honestly, truely, there are only a few useful crew skills a the moment. And this applies to all classes.

While your leveling, cybertech (+scavenging and underworld trading) will help you make armor and mods for your moddable armor for you and your companion. You can use your commendations to buy enhancements. The enhancements aren't optimal, but hey, its just for leveling.

You'll also get gifts from underworld trading to give to your companions.

At level 50, you use cybertech to make a set of epic armor and mods for you and your companion. You will do the daily +2 quest on Ilum to get epic enhancements for you and your companion.

Then you drop cybertech like a bad habit and pick up biochem (+bioanalysis and diplomacy).

You work up biochem and diplomacy until you can make a set of rakata stims. Yeah, the rakata stims got nerfed. So what. They are reusable and they work just fine.

Once you have your set of rakata stims, you drop bioanalysis and pick up slicing. You have to keep biochem in order to be able to use your rakata stims. You'll use slicing to get credits + slicing parts + schematics and missions you can sell. You will use diplomacy to get crew gifts and to increase your light (or dark) score to light V or dark V.

And that is how crew skills work in this game. Anything else you pick is basically, literally, of little value except for roleplay reasons or just because you feel its interesting. Patch 1.2 didn't do anything to change that.

- P

TheRealBowser
05.13.2012 , 01:10 AM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
While I appreciate the hard work that likely went into this guide.

Honestly, truely, there are only a few useful crew skills a the moment. And this applies to all classes.

While your leveling, cybertech (+scavenging and underworld trading) will help you make armor and mods for your moddable armor for you and your companion. You can use your commendations to buy enhancements. The enhancements aren't optimal, but hey, its just for leveling.

You'll also get gifts from underworld trading to give to your companions.

At level 50, you use cybertech to make a set of epic armor and mods for you and your companion. You will do the daily +2 quest on Ilum to get epic enhancements for you and your companion.

Then you drop cybertech like a bad habit and pick up biochem (+bioanalysis and diplomacy).

You work up biochem and diplomacy until you can make a set of rakata stims. Yeah, the rakata stims got nerfed. So what. They are reusable and they work just fine.

Once you have your set of rakata stims, you drop bioanalysis and pick up slicing. You have to keep biochem in order to be able to use your rakata stims. You'll use slicing to get credits + slicing parts + schematics and missions you can sell. You will use diplomacy to get crew gifts and to increase your light (or dark) score to light V or dark V.

And that is how crew skills work in this game. Anything else you pick is basically, literally, of little value except for roleplay reasons or just because you feel its interesting. Patch 1.2 didn't do anything to change that.

- P
You are not the first person to comment that certain crew skills are worthless, and you will not be the last. Yes, I'm well aware that some people think only biochem is useful, and that you should drop every other crew skill. Awesome, I am happy for you, but I disagree.

Being able to craft for alts is extremely useful, being able to make money from crew skills is also helpful. I have not once been able to make money from biochem, but constantly make money from artifice, an allegedly 'worthless' crew skill. I also constantly supply my characters with quality item modifications.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this really is not the place for it. There are countless threads on this forum about how unbalanced crew skills are, I really do not want nor need that kind of pessimism in this thread, with all due respect. Thank you for understanding.

PS: If you decide to continue this conversation here I will not respond to it. This is my full and complete reply to it, I have nothing else to say nor add. I'd very much like to keep this thread on topic if possible. The only reason I am posting this at all is because I keep getting messages like this on this thread, and I'd like them to stop appearing here.

KackMebuff
05.30.2012 , 08:00 AM | #226
This was really great and really helpful in planning my alts! Thanks much, mate!
Jedi Knight Mebuff Kazzstar - Lvl. 38 Jedi Sentinel
Republic Trooper Chree - Lvl. 17 Republic Commando
Sith Warrior - Apprentice Stilte - Lvl. 11
Bounty Hunter - Ohurr - Lvl. 11

Ranid
06.03.2012 , 12:32 PM | #227
thanks for taking the time to create this guide.
Organ Harvester: "Are you deaf? I asked for Iridonian hearts! Not Rodian, Not Ithorian! Iridonian!"
Organ Harvester: "What do you want me to do, put them back?"

Kytea
07.01.2012 , 12:48 AM | #228
Hi Realbowswer

Are you going to update this fantastic guide for the 1.3 changes?

Enroach
07.02.2012 , 07:07 AM | #229
Quote:
I no longer play Star Wars The Old Republic, but I will still update this thread when there are changes that effect this guide, and I am allowed to post on the forums to do so.

I don't see any changes in 1.3 worthy of mentioning besides, perhaps, general changes to the value of crafting criticals (which I still feel are better than efficiency) and augment slots. As far as I can see, HK was not added this patch.

Please continue to enjoy your Star Wars adventures.

~TheRealBowser
As posted on social.bioware.com

Danthis
07.02.2012 , 02:45 PM | #230
Thanks for this guide.