Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

04.12.2012 , 10:43 AM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by amantheil View Post
That's typical - it seems to be pretty rare to get an orange quality item, especially a weapon, as a quest reward, and from what I can tell they're incredibly rare as drops from regular NPCs
I play Empire and all my Sith characters have at least 3 or 4 orange lightsabers from drops or quest rewards. They are not rare. They are also available with planet commendations from your capital world. The capital world commendation vendor sells orange weapons for every advanced class.

04.14.2012 , 10:10 AM | #192
It looks like my account is active for a few days, so I'll take this time to make minor adjustments to this sticky to satisfy the mods. I have not returned to the game, however, if you would like to talk to me or for me to make any adjustments in this thread, now's the time to let me know about it!

04.15.2012 , 12:58 AM | #193
The post has been given minor adjustments for 1.2, including a small section on the ship droid to further help you choose which classes are best for given crafting skills.

It does have a little more significance than I thought, but not much. Take it as you will.

04.15.2012 , 01:33 AM | #194
For anyone who is planning out both side of their server, this guide is a must have
...Lemme finish my reactor core and I'll talk to yo...(zzzz...)

Darth Vader still single... keeps looking for love in Alderaan places.

04.19.2012 , 04:14 AM | #195
Great guide OP...

Just a shame Bioware decided to send players on a roller-coaster ride with crew skills.....It baffles me how they can make a player choose a class, then at level 10 choose a craft profession, and after about level 40 that player then starts to realize they have picked the wrong class with regard to their companions tat can help them with their crafting..!!

I've posted how I think it should be in the Suggestion box, Basically no companion should have any default crew skills, the skills should be developed based on what the player chooses as a Craft profession, not what comes as default to the companions of the class the player chose on Login.

Again great post OP....just a shame that there is actually a need for it.....Because quite frankly the companion bonuses are a complete mess.!!

Akkavi Spar, +5 Bioanalysis crit, +10 Armormech Efficency........What on earth is that all about, when no other character in the smuggler line even has Biochem Crit or Armormech crit...........

Absolutely pointless !!

04.22.2012 , 12:45 PM | #196
I was pretty impressed by 1.2's content, and I liked the offer Bioware was giving. I've decided to return for the time being, and my account will remain active for the next 2 months at least.

04.22.2012 , 03:45 PM | #197
Great thread! worth to be sticky!
R.I.P SWG. Europe farstar yo!

04.22.2012 , 07:06 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealBowser View Post
I was pretty impressed by 1.2's content, and I liked the offer Bioware was giving. I've decided to return for the time being, and my account will remain active for the next 2 months at least.
Welcome back to swtor and thank you so much for working so hard on this thread! It's the most common sense and comprehensive guide to choosing crew skills I've seen. Well written also.
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Twin Spears | Peacekeeper | International

04.22.2012 , 08:00 PM | #199
Excluding efficiency bonus and reducing the list to crafting skills and for the comparision between factions I kept the mission skills

Anything but crit is neglectable. Anything that's not working to give us more augmentet items or double the outcome of items is sort of a small added bonus ... anything that does isn't - it's vital ... a crafted custom (eg.) weapon is worth nothing if not augmented and gives you a great return if it is.

Ship Droid and other non-unique companions. These are the bonuses you can have him use:

Engineering Droid Sensor: +5 cybertech critical
Exploration Droid Sensor: +5 synthweaving critical
hxxr's thoughs

Nice, so Two of the 6 crafting skills get a +5 crit bonus ... really nice and balanced, not that 5 Crit is a major increase that would be sought after any crafter ....

Hunter Droid Sensor: +2 armstech critical
hxxr thinks

At least some get +2 crit ... however this is still only 40% of the +5 bonus.
And well ... armormech, biochem and artifice are kind of missing entierly ... that's a 0% bonus for half of all crafting skills.

a. Jedi Knight

Kira Carsen: +5 crit synthweaving
Doc: +5 crit biochem

c. Trooper

Tanno Vik: +5 crit armormech

d. Smuggler

Corso Riggs: +5 crit armstech

f. Sith Warrior

Vette: +5 Crit Treasure Hunting
Jaesa Willsaam: +5 Crit Synthweaving

h. Imperial Agent

Vector: +5 Crit Diplomacy
hxxr's thoughts

There are two archtypes missing out entierly and most of them at least partially ... the Jedi Knight wins by far with two possible choices on +5 crit to a crafting skill ... that's 33% more crit chance which actually is a huge deal.
Also ... all 4 major armor and consumable crafting skills are represented on the republic side ... Empire has a strong option with Sith Warrior, but only for Synthweaving.

hxxr's conclusion

Something's really rotten here, for a game that just had an update with a very high number of crafting changes.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rtwozero View Post
Just remember that combat logs only state mathamatical facts. They are not rude or arrogant.

04.22.2012 , 10:35 PM | #200
This doesn't really have much to do with the actual thread, but I do think that Bioware should remove critical and efficiency bonuses entirely and just have the various classes have +1, +2, or +3 bonuses, where they receive +1% critical chance & 5% faster crafting time, 2% crit &10% efficiency, and 5% crit & 15% efficiency. But this is just my biased opinion, since we know that efficiency is inferior to critical.

I'd also be okay with efficiency giving an additional bonus, such as -10%/20%/50% credit price/materials for crafting the item, in addition to 5%/10%/25% faster crafting.