Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser
03.25.2012 , 06:44 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Kouensha View Post
Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. (please don't take that as any sort of negative emotion)

With the changes in 1.2 where droids can be equipped with chips to give him bonuses to crew skills, do you think it will allow the classes to have more freedom in choosing a crew skill?

Say a Consular doesn't want to do Synth/Artifice/Cyber, say he wants to do Armormech. Does it give him the ability to do so more easily or should the droid upgrades should just be used to further increase his companions bonuses to certain crew skills?

I apologize if this post isn't clear. I'm not very good at explaining my thoughts.
Nothing has changed, other classes will always be better, and you are always free to choose any crew skill you desire. Having an extra character with bonuses of your choosing just means you have an extra bonus to work with.

For instance, a consular will be able to have an extra underworld trading bonus and have two crew skill members working on it at once with bonuses as opposed to just one. The trooper will still have far superior bonuses for armormech no matter what bonuses you give the droid on your consular, since you can (presumably) give the exact same bonuses to the trooper droid.

Overall, nothing has changed with which classes are best with which crew skills.

Fliprider
03.26.2012 , 05:08 AM | #182
iw as think of artifice and arch and treasure for my lvl 20 shadow is this a good idea ???

Lewdbehavior
03.26.2012 , 04:21 PM | #183
This is a big help. Thanks for putting in the work
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

TheRealBowser
04.06.2012 , 03:56 PM | #184
I have decided to quit the game. This game just hasn't turned out in such a way that I enjoy.

The crafting system of this game always appealed to me, and even if I don't return to this game, I hope that it's looked at and used elsewhere, because it was a really intelligent and promising system.

I'm not going to go into details on why I quit, but there are a number of reasons, the most obvious probably being that this game simply isn't fun for me. I want to to be fun, but it's not. I've always though that this game had promise and potential, but it didn't live up to it and I'm not convinced that will change.

There are other reasons I won't go into, because I'm not interested in starting off-topic drama in this thread.

This guide should remain accurate unless they add more class-specific companions (HK-47 going to everyone will change nothing), say in an expansion, or unless they change something, such as that bounty hunter companion with treasure hunting to something more... useful. I don't believe this will occur.

If anyone wants to contact me for whatever reason, I am loathe to post my email on a public forum, but if you want to talk to me, my steam is the same as my name here, should you use that service: TheRealBowser.

I wish you all luck in your Star Wars adventures! Always have fun!

Hyde_v
04.06.2012 , 06:29 PM | #185
I printed this out last night. Sure does help in skill selection.

Will there be an update once 1.2 is out?
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

TheRealBowser
04.07.2012 , 11:15 AM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyde_v View Post
I printed this out last night. Sure does help in skill selection.

Will there be an update once 1.2 is out?
I have quit the game (My subscription ends tomorrow), so no. However, there is not anything in 1.2 that effects which companions are best for your class.

Everyone's ship droid is exactly the same, so it won't effect which class is best at which crew skill. Likewise for HK-47 in 1.3.

RepublicGurl
04.07.2012 , 12:17 PM | #187
Forgive me if this is the wrong section to post these questions, but at the moment I am at a loss. I'm relatively new to MMOs (this is my first), and to make matters more complicated I cannot play as much as I'd like. (Maybe a few hours between a course of days.)

Anyway, I really, really want to understand how crafting works, and what- specifics -I would need to craft a yellow lightsabre... if anyone knows. I so badly want to change my lightsabre and get the right mechanics down for my Jedi Knight that I have made a new character just to do so.

At what level, as a Jedi Knight, am I eligible to change my lightsabre color? And, I'm not sure if it is a bug or what, but some of the sabres (well... all of them except the one I started with) that I am gifted or loot cannot be upgraded at all. When I put the sabre hilt into the upgrade station, all the letters jumble together, like you see on a computer with a virus, and nothing highlights for me to change 'em.

(It's quite... frustrating.)

If anyone could tell me how to change my ligthsabre crystal to a yellow one (do I have to make crew members have a certain skill, or do I need to physically find a specific color crystal- and where if so) I would really appreciate it!
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend..."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living for..."

Nataenelas
04.07.2012 , 09:44 PM | #188
RepublicGurl - there's no level requirement in order to change the color of your lightsaber. The lightsaber itself needs to be modifiable. Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable. To check if yours is modifiable, control right mouse click it. If it's upgradeable, a new window titled Workbench will appear.

Color crystals can be purchased on the Galactic Trade Market or crafted via the Artifice crew skill.

RepublicGurl
04.08.2012 , 09:28 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataenelas View Post
RepublicGurl - there's no level requirement in order to change the color of your lightsaber. The lightsaber itself needs to be modifiable. Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable. To check if yours is modifiable, control right mouse click it. If it's upgradeable, a new window titled Workbench will appear.

Color crystals can be purchased on the Galactic Trade Market or crafted via the Artifice crew skill.
Thanks!
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend..."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living for..."

amantheil
04.08.2012 , 09:45 AM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by RepublicGurl View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]
At what level, as a Jedi Knight, am I eligible to change my lightsabre color? And, I'm not sure if it is a bug or what, but some of the sabres (well... all of them except the one I started with) that I am gifted or loot cannot be upgraded at all.
That's typical - it seems to be pretty rare to get an orange quality item, especially a weapon, as a quest reward, and from what I can tell they're incredibly rare as drops from regular NPCs.

Bosses in flashpoints drop them more frequently. They also do sometimes show up as quest rewards - principally as the reward for the final quest in a long quest chain. And you can buy orange quality item from commendation vendors on planets (and other vendors on planets will sell them for credits, usually it's pretty expensive).

But keep in mind that you can always upgrade your existing item instead of buying a new one, especially if you like the look of your existing one.

Quote:
Typically, green lightsabers are not modifiable.
One exception to this might be companion weapons. I don't know about light sabers, but I have seen some companion-only weapons that are green and modifiable.