Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

Bordje
01.28.2012 , 09:19 AM | #121
I was so stumped on this, thank you very much.
Bordje/Imperial Sniper/50
Server: The Harbinger
"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

TheRealBowser
01.29.2012 , 10:58 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by TheCosmicMuffet View Post
I agree, and the jump between +2 and +5, is, itself, a pretty big deal. Even when imps have a critter, assuming you want to specifically run up a class just for access to that crew member, they don't have it at as high a quality. Smuggler, trooper, and jedi knight dominate the options for armor, biochem, and arms.

This is that old routine of the game bonus question where you offer a player +30% xp, or a 1% extra damage. It sounds like you want the xp while you level, but you're going to be cap someday, and the efficiency improvement won't matter to you anymore--all you will want is access to better stats which you can't get any other way than RNG and luck.

Maybe they should just put crit into companion opinion of you and give them base efficiency improvements. They simply classify a companion as 'talented: cybertech' or whatever. That way they can do a behind-the-scenes calculation to crit, regardless (which they can also balance whenever they feel like universally across companions), and give a uniform speed bonus in the chosen discipline.

So for example: 4X; talented (Cybertech). His crafting comes out 15% faster, from word go, but as you get him more affectionate, behind the scenes he gains an extra cybertech crit bonus. Which helps him make awesome droid parts. Which nobody cares about and won't buy on the GM. But good for him--he should have a hobby.

:jawa:
This isn't a bad suggestion, but I think it should still be at different levels if this was done. Say, 4X only giving a +5% efficiency and +1% crit for cybertech, while giving a +15% efficiency and +5 crit for scavenging. Not that I dislike the current system, but I could work with your idea too.

Ravynwind
01.29.2012 , 06:39 PM | #123
I know plenty of others have said this but I just wanted to say thank you for creating this guide. I found it very useful and helpful.

WhiteWeasel
01.30.2012 , 12:42 AM | #124
Yes i have to tell you the same as many many other people before.

Awesome guide. Exactly what i searched for

Really thinking about changing the crew skills of my highest level toon ...a Consular.
Her crafting and missions skills just were not that much fun, but your guide just help me with a decision that i hope will be more fun.

Thx for the time you invested into this guide. Sticky well earned Sir!

Diiiego
01.30.2012 , 11:12 AM | #125
Hi, First - AWESOME GUIDE!!!

Love the guide! But now I have a litle problem, I thinking of swichting from Biochem to armsmech on my Trooper(Commando), But will it be worth it in the endgame? will I have use of it?

And if I want to play alot of PvP will it be so smart to change from reuseble adreanalins to PvE gear?? Or can you make PvP gear at max skill in armsmech? :O

Hope someone helps me out with my toughts and so... ^^

Necodreus
01.30.2012 , 12:31 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Diiiego View Post

Love the guide! But now I have a litle problem, I thinking of swichting from Biochem to armsmech on my Trooper(Commando), But will it be worth it in the endgame? will I have use of it?

And if I want to play alot of PvP will it be so smart to change from reuseble adreanalins to PvE gear?? Or can you make PvP gear at max skill in armsmech? :O

General feeling is stick with bio-chem for now as Armormech/armstech, seem only good for lvling. The best gear atm comes from pve hardmodes, and upper reaches of pvp gear. I am an armor and love it but i know when i pvp sometimes want those reusables. If you want to do armor just make an alt for it, what i did with bio.
Primary Edict: Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance to life: death. Squadron 238B

Diiiego
01.30.2012 , 03:46 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Necodreus View Post
General feeling is stick with bio-chem for now as Armormech/armstech, seem only good for lvling. The best gear atm comes from pve hardmodes, and upper reaches of pvp gear. I am an armor and love it but i know when i pvp sometimes want those reusables. If you want to do armor just make an alt for it, what i did with bio.
Thanks for the tips, my Commando is still only lvl 29, so I would have us for it while lvl and to give to compaions, I don't think I will have the time or energi to do high end pve stuff :P But will I have any use of it in end game at all (gess I would do most Pvp and some flashpoints and so in end game)? or would I just make a bad decision? :O

TheRealBowser
01.31.2012 , 12:40 AM | #128

I can't really give advice on which crew skill is the most useful, only which companions are best at doing certain crew skills.

People say biochem is the best and logically it makes sense. Biochem also is not a terrible choice for troopers bonus-wise. It's not what I'd choose but it's certainly acceptable.

Lunardog
01.31.2012 , 08:58 AM | #129
very cool and usefull post , thanks

Necodreus
01.31.2012 , 10:53 AM | #130
Thanks for the tips, my Commando is still only lvl 29, so I would have us for it while lvl and to give to compaions, I don't think I will have the time or energi to do high end pve stuff :P But will I have any use of it in end game at all (gess I would do most Pvp and some flashpoints and so in end game)? or would I just make a bad decision? :O

End game is mostly your dailies, HM Fp, NMM fp, Ops, World boss's, Space combat, Pvp, and playing alts if none of that interests you. So if you like alts and going to make another trooper/smuggler you can change if you wish to gear them up and companions, it gets more worth it.

I would read slaigns reverse engineer thread though to see if you want to really get involved with the current craziness of REing to get better items. Its a huge money time sink and can get fustrating especially when you have RE'd something 100+ times for that one T2 item u want and keep getting "you already know this schematic" (saying you have learned one already and its not the one you want but the game keeps it on the RNG so u learn it over and over.) With 80 or so schems, each of them RE into 3 other types, and those 3 into 5 others for a total of 15, Its fustrating lol..

Theres no good answer just how u want to play
Primary Edict: Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance to life: death. Squadron 238B