Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

Vodalus
12.17.2011 , 05:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JAYSPADEZ View Post
Almost forgot there are extra customization options in rp servers
There are?
I'm not a hater, I'm a disillusioned and disappointed fan.
"I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes searching around the preferences because I was sure a feature like this would not have been omitted."- A simple quote that I have seen countless times; This is what is wrong with TOR in my book.

magnuskn
12.17.2011 , 05:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodalus View Post
There are?
News to me as well.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Dextroverse
12.17.2011 , 05:36 PM | #23
This thread is relevant to my interests.

magnuskn
12.17.2011 , 06:00 PM | #24
Then suscribe, because otherwise you won't find it under the avalanche of new threads every day. Happened to me for the last three days.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

dutch_gamer
12.18.2011 , 04:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
If I'd want to be paranoid about anything, it is that you cannot buy epic mods for flashpoint/operation commendations, while you can buy normal un-moddable epic gear for them.

IMO, the devs should put those kind of mods up for sale by the epic gear vendors.
I totally agree. For all I care one epic mod costs the same amount of commendations as one piece of epic gear, but at least make it possible.

All I want is to be able to choose my own wardrobe instead of being forced to end up updating my look because certain gear is just better than what moddable gear. I would also like it to be made somewhat easier to get orange armor. Getting orange weapons is easy enough but armor does seem way harder to get. I have seen enough armor I do like and I would hope for most to be moddable but I do think the effort needed to acquire the armor without mods could use some tweaking. I think getting the mods themselves already takes enough extra effort.

Vodalus
12.18.2011 , 05:52 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by dutch_gamer View Post
I totally agree. For all I care one epic mod costs the same amount of commendations as one piece of epic gear, but at least make it possible.

All I want is to be able to choose my own wardrobe instead of being forced to end up updating my look because certain gear is just better than what moddable gear. I would also like it to be made somewhat easier to get orange armor. Getting orange weapons is easy enough but armor does seem way harder to get. I have seen enough armor I do like and I would hope for most to be moddable but I do think the effort needed to acquire the armor without mods could use some tweaking. I think getting the mods themselves already takes enough extra effort.
As usual, /agree.

Orange weapons come easy enough- quest rewards, capitol world commendations. . . - but orange armor is less available, and what you do get has some pretty polarizing looks. I've gotten 2 orange chest pieces, neither of which are as good looking as some of the green and blue dops I got on Hutta. For now, my IA is running around in a grey trenchcoat with a giant, puffy, foldy, bulky, mountain of fabric on her chest; sort of old west bandana, but huge and not red. The other orange piece I got was the panther something or other after finishing the Revanite chain. Yeah, my slick spy doesn't need a big, clunky, pointless box with knobs on it strapped to her chest. It looks like they took the targeting consoles from Ep. I X-wings and Tie Fighters and stuck it to the chest of the armor.

I did find 2 orange chest items on the GTN, one of which I actually liked (mostly), but since I've been spending my credits on UT (without a single orange schematic dropping yet), I can't afford it. . . and won't be able to afford my speeder training in 9 levels, but that's a different issue.
"I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes searching around the preferences because I was sure a feature like this would not have been omitted."- A simple quote that I have seen countless times; This is what is wrong with TOR in my book.

Gaff
12.18.2011 , 06:02 PM | #27
Appearance customization in this game is a mess. We complained about it all throughout beta and they didn't do a damn thing.

Character creator has extremely limited options all around and there NEEDS to be a body type between 2 and 3. Won't even get into race selection as that is a different issue. I'm talking about giving us quality for what we have now. They didn't even do that. This is my biggest issue with the game right now and the main issue why I will probably not give it a chance past the free 30 days. Come on! It's like they stopped working on it a third of the way through. For example the near human races don't even have the updated face models that the Cyborgs do (the Trooper and Imperial Agent Cyborgs were the last modified character creator options in beta. Note the subtle differences to the facial structure options of what is usually the first face option on the other races. Also note their cybernetic parts' detail in comparison to other classes' Cyborgs).

The mod system was originally meant to be SWTOR's "unique" form of an appearance customization system. It was a way to give people another grind sink and/or a way to give crafters more to do. It used to be that you could modify any item, but the higher quality the items the more mod slots they had available so it defeated the purpose of the system: everyone HAD to get a certain quality of item.

Instead of improving this system to allow every item to be upgraded the same (thusly the "You can take your starting gear with you all the way to endgame" quote or something to that degree that Bioware stated), they made only orange quality gear modable. There is not a lot of orange quality gear and for what there is there is not a lot of visual choice.

There was an Appearance Tab thread all throughout the beta but Bioware kept shooting it down because the mod system was supposed to take care of all of our visual customization needs.

Well, guess what.
"You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

alSayyid
12.18.2011 , 06:15 PM | #28
There is an odd disconnect between character creation colors and in game. (Twi'leks come to mind) It has made things somewhat complicated.

Not to mention there are a plethora of things that are linked which should be separated, horns/hair for example.
Man's greatest joy is to slay his enemy, plunder his riches, ride his steeds, see the tears of his loved ones and embrace his women.

-The Great Khan of Khans

Vodalus
12.18.2011 , 06:20 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by alSayyid View Post
There is an odd disconnect between character creation colors and in game. (Twi'leks come to mind) It has made things somewhat complicated.

Not to mention there are a plethora of things that are linked which should be separated, horns/hair for example.
Yeah, like eyebrow shape and dirt. . . I mean, complexion.

Jaku
12.19.2011 , 04:12 AM | #30
I think we do need an A-Tab, the moddable gear, although a great idea, just does not cover everything.

I'm guessing the best raiding/pvp gear will be a bit more optimal than an orange item with the best mods it in, due to the set bonuses. And not only that, I don't believe there is an orange version to every single armor design.

It would also make use of the social gear.

I don't find the lack of one gamebreaking, but I think it's a feature they should keep considering. Hell, even WoW has an A-Tab now, which works pretty well.
"Your chances come in two shapes. Slim, and fat." - Mace Windu

Quote:
This is a story driven story.