Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

knite
12.15.2011 , 07:42 PM | #11
Obviously, this is all my personal opinion. Some are much more important than others but just getting all the ideas out there.

My list:

Appearance Tab:

This is the easiest way for a player to customize their appearance. Each piece needs to be able to be toggled on or off, but it is basically a second armor screen, just for how your character looks. Also, in addition to the head piece toggle, I'd love to see an option to toggle hoods up or down on hooded robes. Also, I realize they're attached to the chest piece, but please add an option to toggle shoulder armor off...

Character Creation:

More body types...:
4 is just too few. It really shows when you're playing the game and every other Republic official looks like he's going to send you on a quest for Cheeseburgers. There should be at least 3 more body types in between the existing 4.

More hairstyles:
Sadly, most of the hairstyles in game right now are lazy and many are downright ugly. There are no long hair styles and many are just rehashes of the previous style with some bangs or a ponytail added. Please add some long hair options. You made Lekku work, it can happen. Oh, and "stubble" should be in the beards slider... not complexion.

Better looking faces:
Right now it seems like only the first few options for humans and twi'leks are the acceptable ones. After those few, it is almost impossible to make a good looking character. Please make a quality pass on these and add at least a few more that are even remotely pleasing.

Separate "lazy" tabs:
Eyebrows, makeup and complexion are all one slider. Lekku markings and makeup are all one slider. If more than one thing is being changed, it needs to be a new slider. In addition, make-up and alien markings (Zabrak, Lekku, etc) should have a few color options once the style you like is chosen.

Other:

An in-game boutique/image designer/black market plastic surgery vendor should be added for players to change their appearance at will. (It would be amazing if you could use this vendor to fully customize your companions, too.)

Customization kits for Starships and Vehicles: This can't be too difficult since most have some sort of color scheme already. Think T7 customization kits and you're golden, unless you really want to wow us and go all out with subtle style changes to exterior and interior both.

A bigger dressing room window or at least the ability to zoom.

A weapon dressing room that shows a large view of the weapon you're inspecting.

The ability to "Try on" items that are hotlinked in chat.

User-created, custom guild emblems.

User-created Huttball team logos (or more than two options).

That's all for now! (phew)
Knite Shadowbane - Jedi Guardian
"We Guardians are the Republic's first line of defense against the thousand enemies who seek to destroy it."
―Guardian Crix Sunburris

Ethern
12.16.2011 , 06:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodalus View Post
Thus, there is BIS, and fully-modable gear is not BIS. Endgame The endgame clone army is inevitable, particularly since the AC armor is a super-simple palate swap, basically only varying in the secondary/highlight color.
Indeed. And the development of the game has gone too far for us to see a real improvement .
What I mean is that even with custom gear and even with an appearance tab, customization will not reach a satisfactory level, for the simple reasons that cloaks and shoulders are NOT separated from the chest piece.
I am enjoying the game right now and criticize less Bioware, but everybody has to admit that itemization in that regard is one among the worst even witnessed for a modern MMO.
The future cannot be bright.
I gave up and sold all my academy set (usually I keep my first equipment for lol), as well as any gear, including iconic ones (such as Vette's slicing set) provided they have inferior stats.
Level 50 SW Marauder Rage PvE - Unsuscribed - lack of: X server LFD - appearance customization - +Travel between planets has too much steps - Stupid crystals restrictions based on alignment.
I'll be back for chapter IV.

Ohoni
12.16.2011 , 10:14 PM | #13
Needless to say, I support this. Not even hours into the new build I had to make costume choices that I didn't like, and I'm still stuck with an ugly combination of mis-matched pieces (currently "rocking" a white top with a skirt over drab green heavy armor pants). The orange gear is NO substitute.

dutch_gamer
12.17.2011 , 10:11 AM | #14
I just did a search for orange armor on the GTN/AH (can't even search for orange separately) and I only found 3 armor pieces and there were many pages full of blue and green armor. I really hope that orange armor is going to stay this hard to find because currently I am rather disappointed. I honestly believe orange armor will probably stay extremely rare whereas it is much easier to find orange weapons.

I also again have to express my dissatisfaction with there being no color matching. I think Bioware really made the wrong decision to take it out because they want something new to give a sense of accomplishment by keeping their extremely lack-luster visual progression system. Sorry Bioware but two pants with a stripe in a different color is NOT new armor and nor is an adequate way to represent progression.

Vodalus
12.17.2011 , 11:45 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by dutch_gamer View Post
I just did a search for orange armor on the GTN/AH (can't even search for orange separately) and I only found 3 armor pieces and there were many pages full of blue and green armor. I really hope that orange armor is going to stay this hard to find because currently I am rather disappointed. I honestly believe orange armor will probably stay extremely rare whereas it is much easier to find orange weapons.

I also again have to express my dissatisfaction with there being no color matching. I think Bioware really made the wrong decision to take it out because they want something new to give a sense of accomplishment by keeping their extremely lack-luster visual progression system. Sorry Bioware but two pants with a stripe in a different color is NOT new armor and nor is an adequate way to represent progression.
/agree

I've not found any orange armor on the GTN on my server (and no, it's not a slow server, the only time it doesn't have a queue is in the middle of the night). It's supposed to be lumped together with the blue in the GTN (prototype and custom). I've also still not acquired a single orange schematic from UT. I'll also almost definitely not be able to afford my speeder training when I hit 25 because of how much I've spent on crew skills and missions in my search for this illusive orange armor.

Of course, even if I do finally find some, who says I'll like the look of it. But, hey, that's customization by RNG for ya!
I'm not a hater, I'm a disillusioned and disappointed fan.
"I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes searching around the preferences because I was sure a feature like this would not have been omitted."- A simple quote that I have seen countless times; This is what is wrong with TOR in my book.

magnuskn
12.17.2011 , 04:25 PM | #16
Since I bullrushed to level 30 ( playing four days almost straight through ) to get my legacy name secured ( and I think that was a horrible decision by BioWare to make it take so long to get it... I themed most names I secured on my server to that legacy name, so that made me panic a bit and force myself to play so much through... I'll take it much, much easier now for the rest ^^ ), I might have a different perspective on things than you guys.

I have almost a full set of moddable gear which looks quite good together. When you get to around level 28, a lot of options open up, since you can get full sets of fully moddable gear at around that level ( belts and bracers not included, but those are not that visible, anyway. ).

Some of the social sets are really pretty nice and if I ever get Social III, I plan on making the Ulgo set from Alderann my main look.

Also, I grouped today with a Jedi Knight who had an awesome looking robe/pants set-up, also fully moddable. And then, in the flashpoint, another cool robe-like chest piece dropped for him, of which I was very envious, since it was a robe with the hood down. Sadly, only for heavy armor wearers.

If I can quetch about anything, it is that light armor robes look mostly very threadbare, compared to the heavy armor ( and maybe medium armor ) robes. If I'd known that there are fully moddable heavy armor pieces which look completely like robes, I might have chosen another class as my main... I still may do that, since Guardians use a single lightsaber, but one thing after another. First my current character has to get to max level. I couldn't stand having to go through the depressing swamps of Taris so soon again, anyway.

Keeping your armor up-to-date is a bit harder than just using quest drops, but completely do-able. In fact, I normally am much better equipped than the gear as quest rewards.

Having a profession like cybertech or artifice also helps immensely, since you can make mods/armoring ( cybertech ) or enhancements ( artifice ) that way. The rest can be gotten via commendations, vendors or the GTN.

Now, finding that *exact* look you want will take some time. The economy isn't running yet, few people are crafting, many people have discovered many orange recipes and also aren't crafting them and very few people are high level. We have to wait a month or two before coming to definite conclusions.

I haven't really looked for set bonuses, but so far I haven't seen one piece of armor which has them.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Criello
12.17.2011 , 04:28 PM | #17
maybe it deserves a sticky or just some attention because its obviously a HUGEEEEEEEE issue.

great game. too many carbon copies, not enough individualism, no chance to change.

thats pretty much it... hope it gets attention

magnuskn
12.17.2011 , 04:41 PM | #18
If I'd want to be paranoid about anything, it is that you cannot buy epic mods for flashpoint/operation commendations, while you can buy normal un-moddable epic gear for them.

IMO, the devs should put those kind of mods up for sale by the epic gear vendors.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

JAYSPADEZ
12.17.2011 , 04:57 PM | #19
i wouldnt mind a few options, i saw an npc with dreads and i was hoping i could fit my female agent with them. it would hurt to add hairstyle and possibly a face slider or too

RIP SLIM DUNKIN

BRICKSQUAD 4 LIFE

JAYSPADEZ
12.17.2011 , 04:59 PM | #20
Almost forgot there are extra customization options in rp servers