Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Republic Ghost Town

Auxili
01.04.2012 , 05:19 PM | #1
Page 46~ Edit:
Now that these Ilum changes have been implemented, I'd just like to say: We told you so.

While this thread began as a discussion about world pvp faction imbalance on pvp and rp-pvp servers, it has grown and evolved greatly. Compared to Empire players, the experience Republic players have regarding Republic PVE, Republic Economies, and Republic PVP is unsustainable if not dealt with.
All three aspects of the game are vitally important to both players and the developers; neither takes precedent over the other.

It is up to Bioware to incentivize the Republic faction and support the idea of a balanced SWTOR that is a long-term-success. It is not good if Bioware chooses to make Empire the de-facto faction - the only one that will provide a true MMO experience with players to trade, pve, and pvp together without the need of the opposing faction.

We all urge Bioware to take a second look at how important faction population is to SWTOR in both the immediate and long term.
We urge them to make a statement concerning their plans moving forward.

Thank you for reading this collection of experiences from the Republic playerbase.

----

To those who rerolled Republic to get better warzone queues, you may have acted too fast.
Today Bioware stated they'll be adding more same-faction Warzones. This will help alleviate the Empire queue times - empire players can play more than hutball and queue up faster.

The downside is that the republic population will drop even lower than it currently is on pvp and rppvp servers (2:1 ratio, at best). Get ready for an even bigger ghost town.

Currently, the promise of better pvp queues is the only benefit the republic has over the empire on these servers. Without this incentive, people will have no reason to reroll republic, get faster queues, and help out the underdog side out.

I know Bioware is aware of the faction imbalance and how it will impact world pvp, and the republic faction as a whole on pvp servers, negatively. I mean, they must be - Ilum would be a huge nightmare if they let Empire zerg the Republic.
I'm just curious what they have in mind to make republic an attractive choice for pvp players and guilds. Has anyone heard anything? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

--
EDIT:
Taugrim has spoken on this subject and explained the circumstances.
Fast forward to 1h:27mhttp://www.twitch.tv/taugrim/b/304575438 <--

I urge everyone to see this to understand what is at stake.

"SWTOR doesn't feel like an MMO to the republic players on PVP and RP-PVP servers."

I'd like to post this from another thread, as it was well written and informative:

Quote: Originally Posted by Arcoril View Post
Let's look at why the deck is stacked against this game:

EA's Track Record

Warhammer was left to die. They didn't have the expertise to fix that game and when it became apparent that it couldn't be salvaged, they diverted its development team to SWTOR. The fate of SWTOR is in the same hands of the people who tried to save Warhammer, but ultimately couldn't.

James Ohlen's Attitude

James is incredibly smug and passive-aggressive. Look at the Eurogamer article that's been referenced many times on these forums.

Gabe Amatangelo Doesn't Get PvP

It's not that Ilum was poorly implemented; it was poorly designed. There's a difference. A good idea can have a poor implementation. A poor idea, regardless of its implementation, can never turn out well. Ilum's flaws demonstrate that Gabe simply doesn't understand the dynamic among player behavior, faction imbalances, and incentives.

Broken/Missing Game Systems

The fact that things like (but not limited to) unresponsive combat, static UI, and low frame rate exist post-release are horrifying. These are things that should have been identified during the game's early design phase. Since they weren't addressed in the distant past, we can only assume that James Ohlen and his team of designers didn't view them as a priority. Furthermore, it demonstrates that they simply don't "get it." And this is worrying because any fixes being implemented by a team that doesn't "get it" is likely to fail again.

Auxili
01.04.2012 , 05:33 PM | #2
A great post someone made in another thread:

Quote:
After a week of fleet comparison my server is at about a 2.5/3:1

I ended up rerolling my 50 on the republic side due to my disdain for huttball. While that fixes my pvp problem, the fact is, this is now impacting the leveling and pve side of the game. Like most US East servers we're always "heavy" in the evening, but even so the lopsided population makes finding flashpoint groups very difficult. Usually if you run a flashpoint as republic you are the only ones running that flashpoint as you can tell by the upper left social numbers.

This is without a doubt swtor's biggest longevity problem and I haven't read anything suggesting they have a plan to remedy it.

DirtyDozen
01.04.2012 , 05:40 PM | #3
It is a glaring issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at reasons for the lopsided pops. Two faction games seem to always have this problem.
Squadron 238

Auxili
01.04.2012 , 06:03 PM | #4
You either choose:
#1- More empire-versus-empire warzones
or
#2- World pvp, a healthy republic faction on pvp servers, and empire-versus-republic pvp.

But you cannot have both. If bioware gives us #1 without any benefit for Republic pvpers, then we can say goodbye at any chance of having #2.

To those who wants the republic faction to have an active community on pvp servers, please do not underestimate the effect more same-faction warzones will have.

imtrick
01.04.2012 , 06:05 PM | #5
Since when is the Republic side a ghost town?
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community

Auxili
01.04.2012 , 06:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by imtrick View Post
Since when is the Republic side a ghost town?
It will be, is the point. There's currenlty half as many on pvp servers, even less on many normal pvp servers.
This will only get worse, since those who rerolled republic for pvp purposes can go back to empire since they'll have many same-faction warzones, rather than just hutball.

All explained in the OP.

Perforate
01.04.2012 , 06:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDozen View Post
It is a glaring issue. I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at reasons for the lopsided pops. Two faction games seem to always have this problem.
I can give you two reasons right now that I've heard from my casual friends ( we all play Republic ):

1 - Imperial spaceships look cooler than their Republic counterparts

2 - Imperial PvP/PvE armor looks cooler than Repulbic versions

It surprised me to hear these complaints but apparently looks do matter a lot.
Take All You Can Give Nothing Back

Auxili
01.04.2012 , 06:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Perforate View Post
I can give you two reasons right now that I've heard from my casual friends ( we all play Republic ):

1 - Imperial spaceships look cooler than their Republic counterparts

2 - Imperial PvP/PvE armor looks cooler than Repulbic versions

It surprised me to hear these complaints but apparently looks do matter a lot.
It really is up to Bioware to decide if they want to exacerbate the population difference on pvp servers (cater to the empire faction and allow the republic faction to dwindle), OR if they want to help make the republic an attractive choice for pvpers.

Currently, players are rerolling republic for better queue times, thus making that faction stronger. Republic on pvp servers now have a better economy and more players to do flashpoints with. Currently, the queue times are the only attractive pvp perk the republic has. Empire still has the players and pvp community.

Bioware seems to want to encorage players to stay on the empire side. I'm not sure why this is, but it serves to make the empire stronger than the republic (moreso than it already is, pop-wise).

I still have hope that Bioware is going to fix this problem soon. But I really have nothing to go on. Currently, all I have is the recent news that bioware wants to strengthen the empire pvp experience.

IIII-IIII-IIII
01.04.2012 , 06:15 PM | #9
I saw an overwhelming amount of people leaning Empire pre-release, so I rolled Republic. No circumstance before/presently will cause me to re-roll Empire.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

Chomag
01.04.2012 , 06:16 PM | #10
Why would I wanna play kindergarten+highschool aka emopire ?
Hard mode: Play Republic
Nightmare mode: Play Republic on a pvp server
Are you man enough for the challenge ? Aunt Satele wants YOU.
Republic. No kids allowed.