Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hero Engine: why?

Lankard
01.04.2012 , 06:39 PM | #21
The Hero Engine was chosen by BioWare because at the time it was all the talk of the idiots at E3 who even managed to give a Best in Show award to the game it was developed for - Hero's Journey - which turned out to be complete vaporware. The Hero Engine was designed by a game company, Simutronics, which is almost entirely a text-based MUD game designer with no experience in graphical MMO's.

The Hero Engine is and was nothing more than a money-making scheme for Simutronics and Hero's Journey turned out to be nothing more than a slick way to sell the game engine. It is still knocking about, still vaporware too, at a German company now. But that company is run by the ex-CFO of Simutronics and that tells you all you need to know about what is really going on with it.

Lazorous
01.04.2012 , 06:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by klinesmoker View Post
You doubt people's talk that paints them as programmers and then expect anyone to listen to what you say based upon your own theoretical ONE YEAR spent learning programming?

That makes me laugh.
And your credentials are?

10+ years Software Programmer here.

Kugruk
01.04.2012 , 06:44 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Godsfear View Post
Warhammer did the same thing. If I could kick the guy in the nads who chose Warhammer's engine I would do so gladly.
Nope, it's worse than you think. WAR used DAOC's engine.

Arkerus
01.04.2012 , 06:45 PM | #24
I love the way the engine looks and there is a multi-thread release coming soon.

However, I'm not going to stop playing just because of some issues. I really, really like this game and its been a long time since I had this much "fun" in an MMO.

I am confident in Bioware. I don't have the same faith in other companies...

_BaconStrips_
01.04.2012 , 06:46 PM | #25
This thread makes me sad, knowing that the game was doomed before it even began.
Even so, they have commited the grave sin of not giving us server forums and that is all on them, so it doesn't really matter to me. If they don't add them before diablo 3 comes out I won't be giving them any more of my money.

stupidhero
01.04.2012 , 06:48 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kugruk View Post
Nope, it's worse than you think. WAR used DAOC's engine.
Huh - I thought WAR, just like Rift, uses a heavily modified version of the gamebryo engine?

PulseXXX
01.04.2012 , 06:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lankard View Post
The Hero Engine was chosen by BioWare because at the time it was all the talk of the idiots at E3 who even managed to give a Best in Show award to the game it was developed for - Hero's Journey - which turned out to be complete vaporware. The Hero Engine was designed by a game company, Simutronics, which is almost entirely a text-based MUD game designer with no experience in graphical MMO's.

The Hero Engine is and was nothing more than a money-making scheme for Simutronics and Hero's Journey turned out to be nothing more than a slick way to sell the game engine. It is still knocking about, still vaporware too, at a German company now. But that company is run by the ex-CFO of Simutronics and that tells you all you need to know about what is really going on with it.
Not quite. Hero's Journey was more of an excuse for engine beta testers. I should know, I was one of them. I left about 1-2 months in when it was painfully obvious that the game was nothing but vaporware, and an excuse to work on the game engine itself.

The engine is amazing. User friendly, highly customizable, and specifically designed for MMORPGs, unlike some engines. Runs great if you have the specs, runs like crap if you don't...just like any game.

ElevenSword
01.04.2012 , 06:52 PM | #28
$300 million dollars and they skimped on the engine. Stay classy bioware.

Floredon
01.04.2012 , 06:55 PM | #29
too bad they didn't let their devs write their own engine. im sure they would have had a blast doing it. the game would have been so much better than it is. more and more im viewing this game as yet another cash in on the star wars franchise.

TiiRahnedancer
01.04.2012 , 06:59 PM | #30
If you're really interested in why they used the Hero Engine you can read about it here: http://tentonhammer.com/node/51388