Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee
01.04.2012 , 04:02 PM | #1
Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.
Why?

KaosPeppers
01.04.2012 , 04:05 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokeee View Post
Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.
Why?
Sir please start a developing company, your knowledge of the gaming industry is too much for these peasant forum dwellers.
CE Holder

Godsfear
01.04.2012 , 04:05 PM | #3

Why?
Warhammer did the same thing. If I could kick the guy in the nads who chose Warhammer's engine I would do so gladly.

The hero engine is bad. Champions has the same ability lag this game suffers from.

Godsfear
01.04.2012 , 04:06 PM | #4
Rating cause it's true.

Thelongroad
01.04.2012 , 04:06 PM | #5
Hero Engine is really a pile of crap, at least compared to whatever WoW uses.
Such pride in your failure as a man.

Sunsoar
01.04.2012 , 04:10 PM | #6
Many reasons probably. To try and prove that is still a top engine (hasnt been for years). More likely though is to save money. We lose in the end
Without me, it's just aweso.
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, ASUS X58 Saber mobo, 12gb RAM@1866mhz, 6970 LIGHTNING, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BWU Keyboard, Razer Mamba, PC350s, XFX XXX 750w PSU.
This game desperately needs some sandbox elements. Repetitive grinding is not fun.

discosoc
01.04.2012 , 05:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Thelongroad View Post
Hero Engine is really a pile of crap, at least compared to whatever WoW uses.
WoW uses a modified version of the Warcraft 3 engine, so it's basically all created in-house.

astronaute
01.04.2012 , 05:53 PM | #8
So... we are doomed regarding the character responsiveness ?

If yes, I don't think I'll stay long time...
(████████████████████████████████████)[█o|||||][|█}

Weeps
01.04.2012 , 06:06 PM | #9
ahh the hero engine, putting out top notch games such as the following:

Faxion Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic from BioWare

Hero's Journey - Company's game the engine was developed for.
Origins - Developed by Burning Dog
Prime: Battle For Dominus by PitchBlack Games
The Repopulation - Being developed by Above and Beyond Technologies
Visions of Zosimos by Forever Interactive

Cicatrize
01.04.2012 , 06:06 PM | #10

Why?
Someone who knows of what they speak - rare on such forums.