Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PowerTech Max DPS PvP Build


AnAcuteAngle's Avatar


AnAcuteAngle
01.04.2012 , 06:52 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Xpar View Post
I see a lot of posts about the 21/2/18 and that of course is trash. Pvp is all about burst damage and TD is pretty important (mine crits for 4k). I'm 9 ranks away from Battlemaster right now and have few hundred games of pvp under me.

Engagement rotation is such:
TD > IM > RS > FB > RS or RP

The rotation basically means your railshot hits at the sametime the TD goes off. When they both crit along with the IM dot, my target typically would be down by 9-10k hp with my gear.


Is of course 2/8/31
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMbdGhrs.1


Here is a game from last night:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9679/507k.png

My pvp video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KqJeyV56eM

I've never spoken or seen a 21/2/18 guy do any where close to my dps in pvp.
It's not about DPS.

Some people actually like the mobility/utility/survival aspect of PvP and aren't just DPS whores. There are different builds for different playstyles, get on the boat. I prefer a 23/0/18 build.

/thread
He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.

Athilias's Avatar


Athilias
01.04.2012 , 10:51 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AnAcuteAngle View Post
It's not about DPS.

Some people actually like the mobility/utility/survival aspect of PvP and aren't just DPS whores. There are different builds for different playstyles, get on the boat. I prefer a 23/0/18 build.

/thread
I've got to agree with this entirely. I like PTs for their versatility, rather then their DPS. I feel like there are 4 different builds I would happily play with this class, only 1 of those being DPS based (and only based, it's not it's sole function).

JaxinRiens's Avatar


JaxinRiens
01.05.2012 , 10:44 AM | #13
This is why is use a 30/11/0 build.

The on demand dot is too good to pass up in void star and ald, i may not be able to top the dps charts but between dps aprot and doting i can hold down a point against 6 people long enough to get back after they kill em and make the enemy overcomit forces allwoign my team to clean sweep.


Pretty good solo aswell though i can't kill a heal spamming healer to save my life, and he can't kill me either due to always spamming heals.
Jaexin Riens :: Drakenus::Jahne Riens::Caenen Riens:: Naekino Riens::Kadall::Reyla::Saedes
"Those without power seek to gain it, those with power seek to exploit it,those without want of power are dead." Darth Maladus

dardack's Avatar


dardack
01.05.2012 , 12:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Xpar View Post
I see a lot of posts about the 21/2/18 and that of course is trash. Pvp is all about burst damage and TD is pretty important (mine crits for 4k). I'm 9 ranks away from Battlemaster right now and have few hundred games of pvp under me.

Engagement rotation is such:
TD > IM > RS > FB > RS or RP

The rotation basically means your railshot hits at the sametime the TD goes off. When they both crit along with the IM dot, my target typically would be down by 9-10k hp with my gear.


Is of course 2/8/31
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMbdGhrs.1


Here is a game from last night:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9679/507k.png

My pvp video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KqJeyV56eM

I've never spoken or seen a 21/2/18 guy do any where close to my dps in pvp.

Can you post a link where someone said 21/2/18 is best dps? I think everyone can agree 31 point Pyro is best DPS for PT's, either pve or pvp.

However, in that 500k game you posted, your team scored 1 goal, my team scores 5 and then holds for 11 minutes farming. I get 12 medals to your 9, in lesser gear.

I mean we get it, your dps is really really good. That's fine. Some of us like guard/jet charge/carrying the ball, and being able to carry from 1 end to other while being beat on.
Doofensmirtz lvl 50 PTIn Erebus Drooga's Pleasure Barge. 4 Imps 50. Doofentrooper lvl 50 VG in Goof Troop DPB
Dear BW please have RS/HiB send me to other fleet Nekkid. TY. Also, don't allow 3 sin/shadow 2 sorc/sage teams in HB. That is all.

Daralith's Avatar


Daralith
01.05.2012 , 12:38 PM | #15
I don't understand why you would want to have zero guard and spam damage as an inferior damage class.

Here's 14 medals, 150k guard, 340k damage in a 4-0 farm game:

http://i.imgur.com/DgMFC.jpg

21/2/18
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Dharagada's Avatar


Dharagada
01.05.2012 , 12:46 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Daralith View Post
I don't understand why you would want to have zero guard and spam damage as an inferior damage class.

Here's 14 medals, 150k guard, 340k damage in a 4-0 farm game:

http://i.imgur.com/DgMFC.jpg

21/2/18
I know I shouldn't but I have to ask, inferior class damage compared to who?

Daralith's Avatar


Daralith
01.05.2012 , 12:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dharagada View Post
I know I shouldn't but I have to ask, inferior class damage compared to who?
It's perfectly understandable to ask. In my opinion, the limited utility a damage spec powertech brings makes them less efficient than most other DPS classes. The damage of every damage class is good, but damage PT doesn't bring anything else to the table of interest.

Operatives - higher burst damage, innate run speed bonus, better capacity to interrupt damage, offhealing, combat stealth
Marauders - highest melee uptime, non-dispellable snare, great group utility (speed buff, defense buff, dmg buff)
Snipers & Mercenaries - Limited by line of sight, but incredibly high damage all based from range, knockbacks,
DPS Juggernauts - 7k aoe cleaves, charge, intervene, intercept
DPS Sorcerers - potentially as useless, large amounts of damage and utility, but typically not the kill leader (less meaningful damage than other dps counterparts), knockbacks
DPS Assassins - strong out of stealth bursting, force speed ability, stealth, knockbacks

Pyrotech - Survivability mechanism is heavy armor, lacks run speed bonus/closer, grapple is great for environmental damage/defense in HB, long cd stun (dart), short aoe stun (carbonize), ranged capacity but needs melee for full effectiveness.

edit: consistency

I'd also argue that Snipers and DPS sorcerers also have limited usefulness. Snipers immobility with cover is easy to exploit and sorcerers do a lot of small damage with a lack of true interrupts, making them not strong killers, but good at padding damage.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Dharagada's Avatar


Dharagada
01.05.2012 , 01:40 PM | #18
Hrm well I don't feel our damage is all that bad, but I agree we could use a bit more utility.

Honestly I'd be perfectly happy if they just gave us back rocket pack and give shield tech something else in it's place.

Grapple is nice, but it's is to easily impacted by resolve, not to mention it can cause problems at times where you grapple an opponent just as your warrior friend leaps at the opponent heh. It really is a poor gap closure at times. Though I'd hate to loose it completely.

Dekai's Avatar


Dekai
01.05.2012 , 03:02 PM | #19
Thanks for calling my build Trash. I didn't know having Burst slightly below a Pyro combined with heavy survival and being designed around team play was Trash.

As someone else pointed out, Pyro's not exactly that high up there on PvP DPS either compared to other classes, I know, I used to play Assault Specialist(Pyro for those that don't know Trooper trees). I noticed while I had OK burst, I was pretty much subpar compared to other classes. So, I sat down and fiddled with talents during beta, and came with with the Specialist Build on my Trooper, called thus due to being spec'd into both Shield and Assault specialist, now known as the ST/Pyro build since I went Empire(I didn't call it that though, someone else did )

Now, I'm not saying Pyro/Assault is bad, far from it, decent burst and really fun to play. I just wanted to be more of a team player, yet still go toe to toe with opponents if needed.

Both builds are fun, people play what they enjoy and/or are more skilled at is all. Nothing is really "trash" unless you're running some off the wall build like 17/13/11 to grab every 11 point talent for the lulz.

Good luck in Warzones! Remember it's about having fun.
(≧∇≦)(・ω・`)( ゚ Д゚) Powertech/Sentinel/Sage (_) ( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Dharagada's Avatar


Dharagada
01.05.2012 , 03:40 PM | #20
You know (just to derail this topic a bit) what gear do you guys use in PVP for the shield/pyro build? Straight Tank set, DPS set, mixture?