Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Addons, damage meters: Please clarify your threads

Helagoth
01.04.2012 , 02:26 PM | #1
Lets clarify a few things:

1. UI customization =/= third party addon's.

You don't necessarily need addon's for this, you just need addon's for this in WoW. People asking for UI tweeks should be specific about what they want, and if instead of addon's BW just makes it customizable as part of the UI, that solves your problem. If BW allows addon's that allow for customization, that also solves your problem. Be clear about what you don't like. Personally, I don't like:

a. self buff/debuff placement
b. enemy buff/debuff placement
c. cast bar placement
d. not being able to move my action bars/map
e. not enough action bars
f. lack of a "target of target" frame

2. Damage meters =/= third party addon's.

Wanting a damage meter or combat log again doesn't HAVE to come from a third party addon, it merely does in WoW. BW could make this part of the UI as well, or allow for third party addon's to deal with it. I'm very much in favor of being able to see what went wrong and what didn't, I don't really care where that info comes from.

3. Macro's/mouseover macros =/= third party addon's.

More of the same.

I post this because most of the people asking for addon's aren't really asking for addon's, they're asking for changes to the game/UI that aren't supported. Blizzard's route for dealing with these things was to allow for addon's and provide API hooks to let others solve their UI's shortcomings. (Which IMO was a brilliant way of doing it, it basically takes the pressure off them). It's not the ONLY solution though, it's just A solution.

I think that in order to solve the problems with the game, we need to identify the root cause of the issue by identifying the things that we want changed, not start with proposing solutions from other games that may or may not be the best way of going about it.

As another poster in a thread said, every patch in WoW broke your addon's, they needed to be updated/replaced, and many addon's have been built into WoW over the years.. Getting things built in may or may not be a better solution.
Integrity MMO Community
Casual, no pressure, Quality Raiding - Juyo Server
PvE - EST - Mature Players Only

JuliusMidnight
01.04.2012 , 03:43 PM | #2
Personally I hope for built in functionality of these things, as I despised the addon update game with each patch.

However, I would wager that many folks asking for UI changes will want addons over built in just for the larger pool of customizations to pull from.

Another item I haven't see much about but would kill for is a change to targeting in general ie, let me click a health bar to select someone. I watched and let someone die the other day because I was trying to target them for a heal but couldn't get past their Khem Val (Biggest NPC hitbox in the game award!)
A world without Damage Measurement
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".

Trineda
01.08.2012 , 02:59 PM | #3
Hello everyone,

In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the topic of mods, add-ons and macros, we will be closing this current thread.