Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I appreciate that there aren't macro's and add-ons. Thanks BW!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I appreciate that there aren't macro's and add-ons. Thanks BW!

Excedrin
01.04.2012 , 01:59 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by einherjar_LC View Post
No one is forcing anything, it's called a level playing field.

It's in the best interest of the developer to keep it as level as possible.

OP, I couldn't agree more. I've seen more games than I care go down the add on path and inevitably ruin by said add ons.
The game is never level. People use things like gaming keyboards and mice, they keybind while others don't, they know how to appropriately place parts of their UI to reduce the time for the eye to travel while others can't be bothered to do it.

^ all of these are greater imbalances between players than the inclusion of, say, a combat log and mouseover macros.
Alone is the default state of an MMO player, whether if be for minutes (or) months, and the game should embrace that. But making a massively single player game isnít the answer.

-Damion Schubert

Zinze
01.04.2012 , 01:59 PM | #22
Add ons are for the weak. Also, aren't add ons how bots are created? Thank You BioWare for the lack of bots.

Yfelsung
01.04.2012 , 01:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazorous View Post
It's not forcing them to not do something if it was never implemented. Your bacon is burnt.
But Bioware is implementing it, as they've said, but you're still fighting against it.

Meaning you're trying to take something away from us because you don't want it.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

Kantoro
01.04.2012 , 02:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Voidence View Post
So you need a crutch in order to be better? Then your really not that good.
No, I chose to not be obtuse and play more efficiently. Sorry it I am better than you using my macros and mods. If it makes you feel better, I am probably better than you without them, as well.

It is funny what people define as a crutch, I am sure you eat your soup with your fingers, because a spoon is just a crutch.

Addons and macros are tools, nothing more. Just because you want to feel superior and elitists doesn't change that fact.

zootzoot
01.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazorous View Post
The drawback of such add-ons is when it becomes a necessity and groups "force" you to adapt to their playstyle or you get the boot.

For example, Deadly Boss mod was a requirement for raiding. If you didn't have it, a lot of raid groups would say get it or don't come back.

A lot of heal mods made healing easier and quicker. This gives those who participate in the mod an advantage over a person who prefers not to rely on said mods. However, the groups can then decide not to use you because you're not as efficient as the other person with the mod.

Get it?

By not having add-on/mod abilities, it's equal ground for everyone.
Learning to use Keybinds is better and faster than clicking. By getting rid of keybinds it's equal ground for everyone.

Getting a new GPU, CPU, RAM and an SSD let's players run the game at high res at a higher frame rate which makes the game easier. The game should be console only so it's equal ground for everyone.

Get it?

Yfelsung
01.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Zinze View Post
Add ons are for the weak. Also, aren't add ons how bots are created? Thank You BioWare for the lack of bots.
Ladies and gentlemen, someone who doesn't know what an addon is, yet posts in these threads anyway.

Why comment on a subject you don't know anything about.

Hint: Bots aren't made with addons, they're made using third party programs that don't require addons or macros to work.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

leondore
01.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Excedrin View Post
Correlation != Causation

Better healers tended to use things that reduced the numbers of actions they took. You saw that good healers used these things and concluded that it was the addons that made them good. I assure you, the people who were good with addons in other games are most likely good in this game without addons.
^ This.

Macros and addons for the most part improve quality of life and aesthetics, they don't create automatic I WIN buttons. If I spam underworld medicine disregarding my energy I'm going to fail whether I'm doing it via a healbot like addon or F#+bind. A good healer (or dps or tank) will be good regardless of addons or macros, they'll just help make their playstyle more fluid and adapt their UI more to their needs.
Manara - Sawbones Scoundrel - Server: The Constant

zootzoot
01.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zinze View Post
No. I'm sorry you know nothing about the subject.

Lazorous
01.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #29
Correlation != Causation

Better healers tended to use things that reduced the numbers of actions they took. You saw that good healers used these things and concluded that it was the addons that made them good. I assure you, the people who were good with addons in other games are most likely good in this game without addons.
Actually, no.

I've seen MANY healers go W-T-F when patch day comes and their addons break. A lot of people didn't know how to revert back to the old system and they end up crying and waiting for the add-on creator to update their mod ASAP.

And for those of us that didn't need the mods, healed just fine as before. However, we then ended up needing to wait for the mod update anyway because the other healers couldn't cope.

Contrary to your belief, those healers would claim to be good healers. And this example was not isolated to just those in my guild.

Try looking up the Mod QQ'ing in WoW forums during patch days when things are broke.

Voidence
01.04.2012 , 02:02 PM | #30
Correlation != Causation

They why all the complaining about wanting add-ons? Oh wait cause players like you need a crutch.