Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The game won't start...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheXFactoR
01.04.2012 , 01:05 PM | #1
Everytime I try to start SWTOR (double-click shortcut,) nothing happens. I've tried ending processes and restarting my computer (multiple times.) But, nothing is working. I've also tried to run it as an administrator.

I really hope that I don't have to uninstall and reinstall.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Packetdancer
01.04.2012 , 01:08 PM | #2
So, the launcher specifically doesn't start? Has it ever started in the past? (I.e., is this an error that just arose on a previously-working installation, or is this an installation of the game that never worked?)
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris) / Random CS Forum Participant
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

docTOR: SWTOR Launcher Troubleshooting Guide

TheXFactoR
01.04.2012 , 01:10 PM | #3
The launcher has worked fine prior to today. The most recent updates didn't seem to have any strange effect on the launcher.

dasKube
01.04.2012 , 01:12 PM | #4
Same issue- very odd
"Evil 'round every corner. Careful not to step in any."
Smidge- lvl 50 sage
and many many many alts

Packetdancer
01.04.2012 , 04:00 PM | #5
Odd. Is there a 'patch' directory in your SWTOR directory? If the launcher has a partially-applied patch, it might be getting confused; if there's a directory called 'patch' there, you can try deleting it (or moving it aside) and then running the launcher again. (I thought the old-style patch directory went away a couple launcher revisions ago, but I suppose it can't hurt to check.)

Also, you could try deleting (or moving aside) the launcher.settings file and see if that makes any difference?
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris) / Random CS Forum Participant
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

docTOR: SWTOR Launcher Troubleshooting Guide

Fruitbat
01.04.2012 , 05:00 PM | #6
Just had the exact same thing happen. Been happily playing post patch without a problem, then one BSOD later and when I reboot launcher does nothing. Its running in the processes list and if I don't kill it, subsequent attempts tell me I can only have one instance running.

Tried running FixLauncher and removing launcher.settings to no avail. Shall keep trying.

C_Antares
01.04.2012 , 05:03 PM | #7
I can log in and the first splash screen comes up. Then it disappears and nothing happens.

Fruitbat
01.04.2012 , 05:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
Odd. Is there a 'patch' directory in your SWTOR directory? If the launcher has a partially-applied patch, it might be getting confused; if there's a directory called 'patch' there, you can try deleting it (or moving it aside) and then running the launcher again. (I thought the old-style patch directory went away a couple launcher revisions ago, but I suppose it can't hurt to check.)
And that did the trick. Am running from beta client so there was a patch directory. Deleted and launcher updated itself and now runnign fine again. Thank you.

Smaois
01.04.2012 , 05:09 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by C_Antares View Post
I can log in and the first splash screen comes up. Then it disappears and nothing happens.
Greetings,

It appears that you are experiencing a different issue.

Have you completed the troubleshooting in this post?

Smaois | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Raivun
01.04.2012 , 05:13 PM | #10
I'm having a similar problem. I can login and the first loading screen (prior to server, then character selection screens) stays still (i waited for 15 or so minutes to check if it's my computer's performance issue). And it started to happen after today's patch.

Edit:It appears to be server queu, i got in the game but with a total 45min waiting time. It's the first time this happens even after weekly maintanence.