Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

No Nerfs needed - buffs are urgent!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
No Nerfs needed - buffs are urgent!

Fonitrus's Avatar


Fonitrus
01.04.2012 , 09:17 PM | #11
you are not meant to be crafting. if they wanted crafters to sit, craft and make money they would have said it in the beta.
I remember them saying the crew skills are added to help you get more playtime and ejoys the beautiful 100% voiceover storylines.

So in effect they are shooting for an Oscar award than making gamers happy.
It seems they want all of us to go through all of the classes storylines and hopefully by the time we had done this they had repaid their development costs and made som profit.

long term this game will not last and will definitely not be the "next WoW killer". unless drastic changes are made to the economy. Sad to say people love making money. plain and simple. EvE online is a great game. great economy. but on top of people love to make money they want entertainment and cool graphics and awesome storylines. EvE lacks in the storlylines and wven its cool graphics are seen as a spreadsheet simulator with bit of space combat. we dont need the full economic model from EvE but some of the more positive features should be implemented. I mean this is future tech world and we cant even use our holocrons to do stuff and have to walk to kiosks taht are in other galaxies far far and away across lands filled with beasts and hazzards and all because my inventory is full and i need to sell stuff but it takes an hour to do so.

The $hitty broker house interface deters trading. in age of advanced tech we can use a holocron to access the broker house or the so called 'Galactic' Trade Network. yet in 2012 now on my android phone i can access ebay and buy/sell stuff from anywhere. kinda sad.

the GTN interface leads to reduced trade which stiffles the economy which in turn makes crafers or anyone selling anything run away and just vedor the stuff or just give up.
Slicing was OP because you had the freedom to roam and do what you wanted, experience the storyline AND make money on top of not being forced to find a city walk to a kiosk and access the LOCALISED TRADE NETWORK.

If all other professions had a easy way to offload their gear and not spend endless hours on putting their stuff on the market then the economy may make those mroe profitable since by being easier to access you may chose to buy something RIGHT NOW upgrade your gear and have fun and not 10 minutes later in a special kiosk zone and then walk back to the place you were questing in.

Sure the endgame gear made by crafters may need some tweaking to make it worth while making but if crafters can offload their leveling up gear easily then its a pure money sink.

This is same issue with gathering. if you have exess supply of receources but your target crafters CAN NOT effieiencly get to them because they have to know what category each is into and what sub category they belong to. FOR EACH resource they need in a recipe you can see how ret.arded this is and they just wont make stuff with your resources.

Slicers were nerfed because everyone else has such a horrible time participating in the what little economy we have all because the GTN acessibility is hindered both by its interface and actual kiosk locations not to mention the Localised markets.

in a game with such a ret4rded interface we need at least 7 day duration on orders placed at MINIMUM and maybe teh ability to tweak the price while its active and not have to relist.

Biochem is in the croshairs of the nerf snipers crying "if we can be usefull you better get nerfed too". Why not use that QQ tears and effort to make a better argument FOR your own crafting skill and not just stomp all others just because you cant make money.
No one can, with the way this $hitty GTN is implemented.
Let each man be repaid in full

~~~ Facilitating communication, resulting in the termination of hostilities ~~~

_Flin_'s Avatar


_Flin_
01.05.2012 , 05:55 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Swatactus View Post
So let me get this straight you want the high end gear with
out ever doing operations? What would be the point of
running in an operation if i can sit in fleet and have better
gear then what i can get running in them. Makes since to me.

Well, there are actually people who care for other things than gear.
Some people do operations to do operations.
Some people do PvP to kick other's bottoms.
You like gear and raids. Ok. You think the only reason to do operations is to get gear. Well, I pity you.

If you think it is all about gear, then let me tell you something:
The crafter likes to craft gear for other people and make money from it.
So I want to provide the people running in operations with the possibility to profit from my crafts. I want to give them the possibility to use their favorite orange trousers filled with my Cybertech. To give them the possibility to have their favorite item. Not only the usual stuff and look like anyone else.

And, furthermore, never did I say that one should obtain high level crafting schematics and materials by "sitting in the space station". So you are wrong again. You just want to force all others to raid. And this is not the right path. I like to craft. I do not have the time to raid.
But I have time to craft and want to be able to provide top level equipment from my crafts. I am willing to hunt down materials and schematics for weeks. This is something completely different from "sitting in the space station".

But then, you probably didn't read or understand what I wrote in the first place.

DarthBathory's Avatar


DarthBathory
01.05.2012 , 06:01 AM | #13
All I ever do is go treasure hunting/Archaelogy and pick up either companion gifts or cool armor/weapons I can sell via lockboxes. I barely ever use Artifice just because the stuff you can make it either 5 times worse than what you have or you can never sell it on the Galactic Market.

Artifice makes just a meagre profit if you're willing fill up your inventory with junk and then sell it to a vendor. However the profits you get from it is about equal to killing same lvl mobs and looting the grey item junk and selling them.

_Flin_'s Avatar


_Flin_
01.05.2012 , 06:22 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBathory View Post
I barely ever use Artifice just because the stuff you can make it either 5 times worse than what you have or you can never sell it on the Galactic Market.
That is exactly the problem.
- You can buy gear from everywhere, you get drowned in it, and there is no need for the crafters on the way to toplevel.
- There is no top-level (item lvl 58) gear available. Neither weapons nor armor nor modifications (making orange highlevel gear impossible).
(EDIT: To top it off, you can craft the crafting level 22 items, just to find out you can buy level 23 items in Ilum. And you're like... Uehmm... ridiculed again)

Therefore:
Crafting is useless when leveling, crafting is useless after leveling.

Only exceptions are Biochem, highlevel Spaceshipparts, and gathering skills for money making.

Terwilliger's Avatar


Terwilliger
01.05.2012 , 07:42 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Swatactus View Post
So let me get this straight you want the high end gear with
out ever doing operations? What would be the point of
running in an operation if i can sit in fleet and have better
gear then what i can get running in them. Makes since to me.


You need to run ops to get components for the high end stuff with Biochem. I'd say needing to run ops then craft merits results superior to the ops alone. Is that so unreasonable?

_Flin_'s Avatar


_Flin_
01.05.2012 , 07:48 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Terwilliger View Post
You need to run ops to get components for the high end stuff with Biochem. I'd say needing to run ops then craft merits results superior to the ops alone. Is that so unreasonable?
Furthermore, if I get the best items from operations anyway, why bother with the crafting? This is a flawed logic.

In my eyes items come from raiding, pvp or crafting. All three award different characters and different kinds of playing. Raiding rewards teamplay and knowledge, pvp rewards teamplay and hand-eye-coordination, crafting rewards knowledge and dedication.

But not in this game.

Racheakt's Avatar


Racheakt
01.05.2012 , 08:02 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by _Flin_ View Post
Furthermore, if I get the best items from operations anyway, why bother with the crafting? This is a flawed logic.

In my eyes items come from raiding, pvp or crafting. All three award different characters and different kinds of playing. Raiding rewards teamplay and knowledge, pvp rewards teamplay and hand-eye-coordination, crafting rewards knowledge and dedication.

But not in this game.
This is it -- the one big issue with having crafted mats drop in raids.


Best gear drops in raids, BOP crafting mats for "less than top notch" gear drops in raids. Why it would seem the later is MORE effort. For the raid drop you just need to be there, for the BOP mat you have to be there, have a skill to 400 AND have the formula.

After all the greater effort gets the best reward right?


Gating crafting with raiding is like gating raiding with PvP. IF crafting will always be 3rd best remove any and all raiding requirements.

I also cannot express my disdain for "raid gear" and how it leads to everyone looking alike @ the endgame.

chton's Avatar


chton
01.05.2012 , 08:42 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by _Flin_ View Post
Furthermore, if I get the best items from operations anyway, why bother with the crafting? This is a flawed logic.

In my eyes items come from raiding, pvp or crafting. All three award different characters and different kinds of playing. Raiding rewards teamplay and knowledge, pvp rewards teamplay and hand-eye-coordination, crafting rewards knowledge and dedication.

But not in this game.
Crafting requires some kind of skill? Are you serious? You should be rewarded for exactly what? I'm curious as to what knowledge is needed to get to 400 in any crew skill. Seriously, what other than time is required to be a master crafter in this game?
I never understand why people want crafting to produce greater items than actually playing the game when most crafting can be done when afk or doing something else while waiting for companions to return. If crafting produces equivalent gear than any competent guild will simple have everything ready for their members when the reach level 50. I'd rather have them kill silly mindless time wasting crafting than the actual game.
I don't get why these crafting fans never see the other side of things, if crafting produces the best gear whats the sense in questing or PvPing? And if people say you should do those things for fun and not the gear, lets see how long people will play if there is nothing to be gained from them.

_Flin_'s Avatar


_Flin_
01.05.2012 , 08:42 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Racheakt View Post
Gating crafting with raiding is like gating raiding with PvP. IF crafting will always be 3rd best remove any and all raiding requirements.
Or, even better, remove crafting. Since it is utterly useless when you can't even create useful things that can't be had way better with 3 hours of effort.

_Flin_'s Avatar


_Flin_
01.05.2012 , 08:55 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by chton View Post
Crafting requires some kind of skill? Are you serious? You should be rewarded for exactly what? I'm curious as to what knowledge is needed to get to 400 in any crew skill. Seriously, what other than time is required to be a master crafter in this game?
Well, you could introduce a crafting system where you need to find rare materials and read up on how to get them. Just the same way as you read up on killing bosses.

Quote:
I don't get why these crafting fans never see the other side of things, if crafting produces the best gear whats the sense in questing or PvPing? And if people say you should do those things for fun and not the gear, lets see how long people will play if there is nothing to be gained from them.
Somehow you didn't read the opening post. The point here is that crafting is so broken that it doesn't matter at all. What is the use of the orange items, when I can't use them anymore on level 50 and run around in exactly the same stuff as anybody else? What is the use of crafting if everything else is way better than actually caring for crafting?

If you need to play 10 hours to create an artifact item (because you need to collect the materials), would a PvPer craft it? Instead of PvPing 10 hours for an item of comparable quality, but with PvP stats? This will not happen. Never.

Have I ever proposed that your crew should collect the materials? No. The player character should do that.

And it is amazing how big the fear is that other people get something similar to what one self has.

Wasting time with PvP to get gear is ok. Wasting time with raiding to get gear is ok. But wasting time with crafting isn't ok? On what basis?
You get gear from socializing, you get gear from piloting, you get gear from crafting. But only raid and pvp gear is allowed to be worn to see the content? Because... because... because... I am a raider and I am a pvper and all others suck. That's the kind of logic behind the whole argument.