Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No Nerfs needed - buffs are urgent!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
No Nerfs needed - buffs are urgent!

_Flin_
01.04.2012 , 11:54 AM | #1
So Slicing was nerfed. The Slicers hate it, but everyone else seems fine with it. The latest trend are nerf cries for Biochem. But is it because Biochem is somehow unbalanced? No, but opposed to the other crafts, Biochem does useful stuff.

Let's take a look at the professions that are totally useless at the moment:

- Armormech
No useful recipes on par with raiding or pvp gear.

- Armstech
see above

- Cybertech
see above

- Synthweaving
see above

- Artifice
see above

The only useful items anyone can make are orange itmes that look cool.
Everything else is just meh. A few high level schematics can be obtained from raiding. Why is that? Why is everyone forced to raid? Because all those voiceovers are too expensive outside of raids?

On top of the subpar items to create comes the easy availability to buy everything one can possibly want from all the commendation vendors, daily quests and whatever.

So not only do the crafts not offer relevant items for pursuing a craft, but the game system actively disadvantages people who craft. Why have such a system at all? You might as well turn it off. Nothing relevant comes from it.

There are, however, ways to encourage and fix crafting.
First of all it should be possible for any crafter to obtain gear that is an equivalent to raiding or PvP gear. Why? Well, why not? Where is the difference between grinding raid bosses, grinding Warzones and grinding for materials and schematics? In the end it is all time and knowledge.

So please buff our crafts. A few ways to do so:
- epic quest series with difficult goals to obtain that go on for 20 quests to obtain a powerful schematic
- schematics that use rare materials from other crafts
- schematics with BoP Items
- schematics that need BoP materials from dangerous opponents like bosses
- schematics that need loads of BoP materials from daily crafting quests.
- green schematics that create new green items that can be reengineered in tedious ways into purple items
- schematics with a limited number of items to produce

There are so many ways to fuel the passion of the crafters that we are. But you chose the two dumbest ways:
- raid so you can craft
or
- craft only ****** stuff

I wont even start with nerf cries for vendor (although this seems obvious).
Just give us crafters useful things to do and to achieve! Every social II player can get cooler stuff from Nar Shadaa's canteen. And where does he go to pimp it? To a vendor. This has to change, and it is easy to change, if there isn't anything but disregard for the crafters.

So just buff every craft so dont have to sit there drooling over the cool things Biochem can do. Which is only good because all other's stuff is abysmal.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jinuyr
01.04.2012 , 12:01 PM | #2
Crafting is definitely not balanced between the different professions. Biochem seems to rule everything at the moment. On top of it, you can make items that are not both BOP and Requires Biochem. In theory, you can pick up Biochem, grind it to 400 to make the Reusable Rakata items then switch over to Cybertech and make the reusable grenades then finally switch over to something else and wait...

If that's the intention, I'm okay with it, makes a good money sink if you ask me... The other crew skills need a buff though in terms of useful items.

PvPing for a few days to get a belt and/or bracers already puts me ahead of the gear I can make with Armortech that's BOP.
Clan BlackBlade
Now Recruiting | Empire PvE Raiding Guild
[Main Site] | [About Us] | [Apply]

_Flin_
01.04.2012 , 12:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinuyr View Post
If that's the intention, I'm okay with it, makes a good money sink if you ask me... The other crew skills need a buff though in terms of useful items.

PvPing for a few days to get a belt and/or bracers already puts me ahead of the gear I can make with Armortech that's BOP.
Well, if someone spends the time and the money to get to Biochem 400 just to have these items, he has definitely earned them.

The problem is, however, that all the other crafts do not have any items that are in the same league as the stuff from raids or pvp. Or just in a league that is comparable to the stuff anyone can buy from vendors.

Biochem is perfectly ok. It's the other crafts that are so severely lacking that looking at Biochem makes it seem strong, when it isn't.

Every other craft is broken. And broken in the sense of "unusable".

roocey
01.04.2012 , 12:53 PM | #4
I'll just say this: I agree. Buffs and "filling in the holes" should be much more of a priority than nerfs for both posters and BioWare.

knightnvy
01.04.2012 , 01:01 PM | #5
nerf is not the solution. the others need to be buffed.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Swatactus
01.04.2012 , 06:49 PM | #6
So let me get this straight you want the high end gear with
out ever doing operations? What would be the point of
running in an operation if i can sit in fleet and have better
gear then what i can get running in them. Makes since to me.

please keep in mind i may not reply to your post because in actually playing this game and not sitting on the forums talking about it. I know thats a shocking thing to realize but its true.
Shadowlands The Drunk Tanks

PariahMessiah
01.04.2012 , 07:58 PM | #7
Also the reusables for Bio/Cyber require you have to those skills to use them so that idea is out.

cannibalisticcow
01.04.2012 , 08:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Swatactus View Post
So let me get this straight you want the high end gear with
out ever doing operations? What would be the point of
running in an operation if i can sit in fleet and have better
gear then what i can get running in them. Makes since to me.

I do agree with this. (sorry to bring it up but it's a good comparison) This is really where WoW started to go wrong. They gave non-raiding players the ability to get raid level gear easily.

I also agree with the opening post though, I'm new to SWOTR and was really enjoying crafting, but now after reading a lot about it, I don't know what to do. Is it worth continuing, I don't think I will have the time to raid like I use to all those years ago in WoW.

I say, buff the gear a little but what’s more important is to have something fun and interesting to aim for. Something that may not be as good as raid gear but has something interesting about it that makes you want to make that item.

TheRealBowser
01.04.2012 , 08:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cannibalisticcow View Post
I do agree with this. (sorry to bring it up but it's a good comparison) This is really where WoW started to go wrong. They gave non-raiding players the ability to get raid level gear easily.

I also agree with the opening post though, I'm new to SWOTR and was really enjoying crafting, but now after reading a lot about it, I don't know what to do. Is it worth continuing, I don't think I will have the time to raid like I use to all those years ago in WoW.

I say, buff the gear a little but what’s more important is to have something fun and interesting to aim for. Something that may not be as good as raid gear but has something interesting about it that makes you want to make that item.
Don't bring up WoW in this, WoW never had heroic raid level items freely available to players. You had subpar items available if you grinded weeks for them. There's a lot of crap I hated about WoW, but this is not one of them.

Pandabutt
01.04.2012 , 08:36 PM | #10
A few things they can do that will balance out the crafting skills and make them worthwhile.

1. Guaranteed Augment slot on Crafted gear, with critical crafts granting a second augment
  2. Critical crafting mods grants improved stats
  3. Craft Orange grade Shields/Generators/Focus

The augments on all crafted gear would create a drive for people to take crafted gear over vendor/mission/drop gear. If mods could critical craft for improved stats, then you'd have a larger market on crafted mods, however in the current state their should already be a high market on crafted mods. And of course, customizable off-hands, if crafting was the only way to obtain customizable versions of these off-hands then players would certainly buy them. And with having the ability to insert mods with the stats of your choice in them you could get stat combinations that would not be possible otherwise.

Also, there is no reason to create a "you have to raid for the best gear" sense in the game. Especially when one of the draws to the rest of the game is customizable gear where you can keep the appearance you want with the stats you need. Raid gear doesn't give this option, if everyone was wearing Raid gear then we'd have the same crap we have in EVERY OTHER MMO IN EXISTENCE. I don't want to be forced to look exactly like the guy standing next to me just to have the best gear. I've had to deal with that in every other game, and I'm sick of it as I'm sure most of you are too.