Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A couple points missed by the Pro-addon crowd


JuliusMidnight's Avatar


JuliusMidnight
01.04.2012 , 01:45 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by loperit View Post
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/deadly-boss-mods

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/heal-bot-continued

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/omen-threat-meter

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/auctioneer

20mil downloads for DBM alone no matter how you cut thats a lot of people using DBM

10mil for healbot

9mil for omen

8.8mil Auctioneer

Im not even gonna bother linking the dps meter addons

All i had to do was google the addons my mates and i used while playing wow to get those number, also note that the figures just come curse.com.

People use addons plain simple whether it is a good or bad thing, that i do not know.
Just a heads up, check beyond my OP. We've gone over all this.

Helagoth's Avatar


Helagoth
01.04.2012 , 01:47 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JuliusMidnight View Post
I mostly feel that the addition of addons will not help these people at all to better their play style.
I personally don't care about them. I care about me. I want to know if I'M the baddie that wiped the group.

The difference between a bad player and a good player is that the good player wants to get better. Right now, I don't have the tools to better myself beyond maybe going and finding a low level world boss and timing how long it takes for me to kill him while trying different things.


Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".

loperit's Avatar


loperit
01.04.2012 , 01:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JuliusMidnight View Post
Just a heads up, check beyond my OP. We've gone over all this.
I retract my statement i hadnt loaded those posts too busy playin the gaemz
You underestimate my power!

JuliusMidnight's Avatar


JuliusMidnight
01.04.2012 , 01:51 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".
I'd pay to see that become a standard for groups

Edit: Check the new Sig
A world without Damage Measurement
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".

Amiracle's Avatar


Amiracle
01.04.2012 , 01:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by loperit View Post
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/deadly-boss-mods

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/heal-bot-continued

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/omen-threat-meter

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/auctioneer

20mil downloads for DBM alone no matter how you cut thats a lot of people using DBM

10mil for healbot

9mil for omen

8.8mil Auctioneer

Im not even gonna bother linking the dps meter addons

All i had to do was google the addons my mates and i used while playing wow to get those number, also note that the figures just come curse.com.

People use addons plain simple whether it is a good or bad thing, that i do not know.
20mil downloads for DBM alone no matter how you cut thats a lot of people using DBM

10mil for healbot

9mil for omen

8.8mil Auctioneer



Are these downloads by all individuals or do those numbers include the ones who redownload it after every patch?

Isn't 20mil more than the subs that WoW has and has ever had?

The fact that you have no clue how these numbers are generated should've been reason enough to not use them.

JuliusMidnight's Avatar


JuliusMidnight
01.04.2012 , 01:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Amiracle View Post
20mil downloads for DBM alone no matter how you cut thats a lot of people using DBM

10mil for healbot

9mil for omen

8.8mil Auctioneer



Are these downloads by all individuals or do those numbers include the ones who redownload it after every patch?

Isn't 20mil more than the subs that WoW has and has ever had?

I don't think these numbers mean what you are trying to make them mean.
Check earlier as we went over it
A world without Damage Measurement
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".

Amiracle's Avatar


Amiracle
01.04.2012 , 02:00 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JuliusMidnight View Post
Check earlier as we went over it
And?

/10char

Ashorian's Avatar


Ashorian
01.04.2012 , 02:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
Without a damage meter, we'll be having things like "LFM for Eternity Vault, must be able to kill the First on Dromand kass in 45 seconds while we watch".
that'd be awesome for backstab classes! can i have a tank too?



hi

Helagoth's Avatar


Helagoth
01.04.2012 , 02:09 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JuliusMidnight View Post
I'd pay to see that become a standard for groups

Edit: Check the new Sig
I feel special now.
Integrity MMO Community
Casual, no pressure, Quality Raiding - Juyo Server
PvE - EST - Mature Players Only

GengisKahn's Avatar


GengisKahn
01.04.2012 , 02:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by JuliusMidnight View Post
FIRST: This is not advocating that TOR continue to deny addons. This comes from seeing the MANY posts for addons and getting frustrated at the posters for how they ask for something.

#1: Keep in mind that the majority of players will never use addons. Even in WoW, more players just log on and play without a single addon than those that use them.

#2: To the "Then don't use them crowd": There are two things wrong with this argument, though it sounds good in theory. First, is that if addons are added, they will become required for raiding. This is because they're useful and end up helping. No problem there in my mind, just remember this when saying that not everyone has to use them. Second, most folks cite a few core addon needs but forget that if BW allows 3rd party addons, then all shapes and sizes of addons will come in. Many of which I'd bet BW is currently unprepared to deal with. People WILL try to exploit/bot/etc with addons if enabled. They exploit without them too, but its just something that will happen in MMO's. That crowd is very few people compared to the player base but I bring this up because this is something BW will be concerned with.

#3: "A lack of addons will help the bad players stay bad." Some addons can help so much in improving game play (I miss power auras) but my main issue with this argument returns to #1 in a way. Most the rather bad people are going to stay bad and never try to improve and along the same lines, most people concerned with improving will find ways to test it without addons if they have to. The addons are probably the most accurate way to cover this but it will not do anything for those that already don't care about getting told they're fail.


My request here? Look into your argument more when you make it. I use addons in WoW, I would use them if they come to TOR, but be a little more open than just screaming for them and screaming at anyone against you. Maybe there is a compromise that players can make with BW? Maybe we can get them to implement the core things we want into their UI, and continue to improve upon that as time goes on. Of course, this is all a pipe dream as many forum goers are lucky to complete a sentence correctly, but I will continue to dream because this fantasy land of people using their brains to achieve something is a very shiny place.
The bold part is a mistake made by you based on WoW. No, addons doesnt mean they are going to be required. And actually once addons are launched, we must convince BW to not design and code with the premise of their use.

You can choose to use the addons or not, so the content must be made with the asumption of no addons being used.

If you want to make your life easier, then use the addons, if you dont, then dont.

And people must learn and not call the content easy while they are using half a dopzen addons to help them.

This is a community problem, not an addon problem.

I want addons because they help me test builds, customize the UI to my preference and heal properly without the limitations of a poor UI. I dont want addons to race against others.

If the community is bad, addonjs or not we are doomed, we must teach the community to be a good one, then adddons or not we will be fine.