Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The republic is a dictatorship

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The republic is a dictatorship

Lord_Butcher
01.04.2012 , 10:16 AM | #1
First off, once a world is having the choice to join the Republic, it seemingly can never go back, i may not be well read about everything surrounding the Republic but it seems that when movements like the Separatists leaves the Republic they go to war for that :/

It's like if some state of America (as an example) tries to leave America union of states and that particular state is overwealmed by the other ones to forcefully take it back, just a thought.

If the Republic cannot accept entire star systems own choice to leave their union and ends up bringing them back through war it just proves that the Republic is a hypocratic dictatorship, claiming others are violent but uses violence themselves to bring back the sheep in line again, and that it also doesn't stand for any true democrazy(can true democracy really exist?).

Just loud thinking perhaps, again i dont claim to know everything star wars related or all events surrounding it but it seems at first that the republic starts a war to bring back the planets into line by force once the negotiations ends, am i wrong? :/

Foxfirega
01.04.2012 , 10:26 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Butcher View Post
First off, once a world is having the choice to join the Republic, it seemingly can never go back, i may not be well read about everything surrounding the Republic but it seems that when movements like the Separatists leaves the Republic they go to war for that :/
Ignoring some of the other points to ask a serious question here:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that the Separatists don't initiate hostilities each and every time they're shown to break off from the Republic? Because I'd love to see it.

On Ord Mantell, it's very heavily implied that the Separatists started shooting first, and made no distinction between people that didn't want anything to do with the whole matter and Republic loyalists, and also further ignored distinctions between combatants and non-combatants (as they had dedicated sniper teams taking out refugees from their assaults on other locations). The Republic soldiers stationed there are no princes in any sense of the term, nor are they exactly noble, but they didn't start the civil war on their planet. They were forced into it by people that were outright demanding everyone else to forsake the Republic or die.

During the Clone Wars, the Trade Federation and it's members broke off from the Republic only after starting a number of operations to oppress other Republic sovereign states (notably Naboo), and immediately after doing so declared open war on the Republic with their armies.

That's 0 and 2 for the Republic starting the firefight. That's also 2 and 0 for the Republic only sending troops to locations in defense of people that it's stated it will protect.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Guildrum
01.04.2012 , 10:39 AM | #3
"You know what, we are going to secede and take half of your money, a large portion of your armed forces and a signification fraction of your entire industry, but because you are democratically elected, there is nothing you can do about it. Cheerio!"

Would work out so much better. Ever heard of the American Civil War?

Or better yet..

"We are going to secede, but before we do, we are going to kill all of your soldiers nearby, and blast apart your space ships. You can't do anything about it, because you are a democracy. Peace out N00Bi3z."

Amaste
01.04.2012 , 10:42 AM | #4

It's like if some state of America (as an example) tries to leave America union of states and that particular state is overwealmed by the other ones to forcefully take it back, just a thought.

If the Republic cannot accept entire star systems own choice to leave their union and ends up bringing them back through war it just proves that the Republic is a hypocratic dictatorship, claiming others are violent but uses violence themselves to bring back the sheep in line again, and that it also doesn't stand for any true democrazy(can true democracy really exist?).

Just loud thinking perhaps, again i dont claim to know everything star wars related or all events surrounding it but it seems at first that the republic starts a war to bring back the planets into line by force once the negotiations ends, am i wrong? :/
In the Republic's defense, the situation was rigged by Sidious to turn into all out war, with both sides set to appear guilty at perpetuating it as part of the plan. As for the second paragraph... That's pretty much exactly what happened? <_<
Alcoheälic, Leguim, Dück

Stop Resisting

Potatopower
01.04.2012 , 10:48 AM | #5

First off, once a State is having the choice to join the United States, it seemingly can never go back, i may not be well read about US History but it seems that when movements like the Confederacy leaves the United States they go to war for that :/

If the United States cannot accept entire state's own choice to leave their union and ends up bringing them back through war it just proves that the United States is a hypocratic dictatorship, claiming others are violent but uses violence themselves to bring back the sheep in line again, and that it also doesn't stand for any true democrazy(can true democracy really exist?).

Just loud thinking perhaps, again i dont claim to know everything United States related or all events surrounding it but it seems at first that the United States starts a war to bring back the Confederacy into line by force once the negotiations ends, am i wrong? :/
(He's not gone, he's watching us from the shadows. Never forget.)

Foxfirega
01.04.2012 , 10:52 AM | #6
Fun fact: The Confederacy started the American Civil War, as well, by attacking Fort Sumter.

They seceeded on March, 1861 and launched the first battle of the war in April.

Not a great case example there, bro!
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Guildrum
01.04.2012 , 10:55 AM | #7
I'd also say that kidnapping Jedi Knights and forcing them to duke it out in an arena, with the intended results of killing them is a legitimate cassus belli, wouldn't you agree?

Tarbal
01.04.2012 , 11:05 AM | #8
I say we wipe them out .... all of them
|-0-| (-0-} |-0-|

"I have you now!"

TheTurniipKing
01.04.2012 , 11:07 AM | #9
To be fair, it COULD be considered execution of enemy spies.

The long and the short of it is neither the Old Republic nor the Sith Empire are as good or as bad as they're painted, respectively.

Roycerson
01.04.2012 , 11:21 AM | #10
I don't think you know what that word means. You probably went to government run schools which is OK just don't believe what they tell you about government the same way you don't believe what PR rep says about their company.

A dictator can allow as much freedom as he likes. A democracy can be totalitarian and can enforce it with an iron fist.

I agree with you in principle. Strongly. It's just that while you appear to have a strong sense of individual liberty, you lack words and are bogged down by false understanding.

Violent oppressors is a better phrase for this situation. The Republic are violent oppressors, they rule others against their will and kill those who resist. Democracies and republics are totally capable of doing that.