Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

Ezekiahjones
01.08.2012 , 02:18 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by BeBenNova View Post
ITT : Scrubs scared of getting kicked out of raids for not being a valuable member of a raid
This quote is accurate. You don't want addons because you want to raid with those "elitist" players who require addons. If you didn't, then adding addons wouldn't be a problem because you'd never play with those types anyways.

Yamok
01.08.2012 , 04:06 AM | #82
Can I just have a Addon that hides all my bars..

I want to see the game world, not a bunch of bars.

thanks.

Kiyasu
01.08.2012 , 04:52 AM | #83
I'm seeing some simple confusion here. You're confusing mods existing with player behaviors.

The reliable argument against mods is often "I'll be forced to use them".

The addons don't force you to use themselves do they? Are these mind control addons? No.

Raid leaders require them. People.

And yes. I acknowledge the fact that most raids will require addons. That in and of itself is an argument FOR addons.

Granted some people want to raid and raid w/o addons. Fine. But this is not a solo game and raids are not solo raids. If the majority of the raid decides they want everyone to use addons. GOOD. (no raid leader is a tyrant. I've seen plenty raids get rid of bad ones even bad ones that were guild masters)

I desire addons for the simple fact that their widely considered a positive item. I also prefer to highly customize my ui ( I'm a hudfag. ). Even with a "customizable ui" I won't achieve near what I could with my own creativity. I view addon creation and use as another creative part of the game itself that I quite enjoy (( my opinion granted)

So if you want to have no addons then you're most likely in the minority I think we can agree. And the majority of paying customers have agreed we would like to have the system that other similar products have had for YEARS.

Rift is a prime example of why electing not to have a system is bad.

Oh and a final bit of input for the people that argue addons cause discrimination. BIOWARE DOESN't GIVE 2 FLYING LEAPS IF YOU GET KICKED FROM RAID BECAUSE OF IT. Here's a quote about combat logs. "there's no conspiracy where we're like we're hiding this so people aren't discriminating against other players. If you want to, you know, run a very competitive operations group and you wanna improve, having this data is certainly interesting. Umm and we're not against it...."

Bioware is completely fine with competitive discriminating behavior.

This really feels like a matter of the developers wanting the game one way and the gamers another. The reality is is that it doesn't matter what Bioware wants. They aren't why the game exists. In this highly competitive market either the customer majority (pro addon I believe, and will continute to believe unless I can get an unbiased large scale data group showing otherwise) wants this system and they will eventually get it. Either from bioware or trion or blizzard.... =)
"You were at Galidraan…tell me, how did one mere man kill so many of your kind?"
"With his bare hands." - Why you never, ever, ever, piss off a Mandalorian.

CrimsonV
01.08.2012 , 06:19 AM | #84
Hard modes and Operations are currently designed to be completed without addons. Implementing addons would make such flashpoints much easier, and that would mean that the majority of players will use them and will force you to use them. Small minorities who deliberately decide to play without them are often so small that they're irrelevant.

Now the problem is that since those flashpoints tend to become fairly easy once addons are implemented, future content would be designed with addons in mind and in less than a year, Operations would become literally impossible without them.

The moral of the story is that no matter how you put it, addons force you to use them.
"Apathy is death."
Imperial Agent - Loyal to the Empire
I have spent 150€ for a game and I'm okay with this

Kunitsukami
01.08.2012 , 06:28 AM | #85
Meters of any type are bad, UI customisations are good. Anything that draws your eye away from the actual game and makes you look at numbers is bad, something that enhances the look of the game is good.
Worship the mighty Hutt planet leaders! Moving incredibly slowly with their tiny arms and huge body mass which is easy to hit with any weapon!

Stillnotking
01.08.2012 , 07:33 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by CrimsonV View Post
Hard modes and Operations are currently designed to be completed without addons. Implementing addons would make such flashpoints much easier
There are many ways to set the difficulty of content. By far the worst way is to handicap players with a terrible, unmodifiable UI, so that information they are legitimately entitled to have (such as remaining duration on HOTs, proc notifications, target-of-target, etc.) is either inaccessible or very inconvenient.

If current content is, in fact, tuned to the assumption that players will be running it with a UI that is the equivalent of wearing mittens and blinders, then BW needs to change their fundamental development philosophy. IOW, if you're right, then the game has much bigger problems than just a bad UI.
Imperial Agent - Operative - Medic
"Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies." - Jane Austen

CrimsonV
01.08.2012 , 07:38 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Stillnotking View Post
There are many ways to set the difficulty of content. By far the worst way is to handicap players with a terrible, unmodifiable UI, so that information they are legitimately entitled to have (such as remaining duration on HOTs, proc notifications, target-of-target, etc.) is either inaccessible or very inconvenient.

If current content is, in fact, tuned to the assumption that players will be running it with a UI that is the equivalent of wearing mittens and blinders, then BW needs to change their fundamental development philosophy. IOW, if you're right, then the game has much bigger problems than just a bad UI.
I agree that the UI needs some work, and I think it's not as functional as Bioware meant it to be. I hope that they will improve it through future patches.

I wouldn't mind UI customization addons *that* much to be honest, I was mainly talking about threat / damage meters, addons that facilitate healing and raid assists.
"Apathy is death."
Imperial Agent - Loyal to the Empire
I have spent 150€ for a game and I'm okay with this

Homycydyl
01.08.2012 , 09:25 AM | #88
I like cars without speedometers.. That way I can just look out the windshield and not worry about the numbers...

But that's not a good idea..

A raid leader isn't going to give you crap if your not running a parser, and are putting up good numbers. Likewise a raid leader isn't going to cut you a break because your running a parser, but putting out bad hps/dps.

There's a lot of talk about WoW in here, but as a ex top-10 WW EQ2 raider, a parser was very important. To the point that SoE put in training dummy's to allow baseline'ing gear and rotations, as well as seeing tangable benefits of buffs.

Giving people information is never a bad thing. And those that are against it, probably won't be HC raiders anyhow, as generally the HC people want the quantative data, and are competitive.

Briahlen
01.08.2012 , 10:24 AM | #89
I want to play the game as is out of the box. If we need a aggro tracker it should be part of the game. addons are "cheats" or maybe I am just scared of them because they are third party programs. Anywise I don't want others to have them because they make other players better then me without really being better.

NasherUK
01.08.2012 , 10:33 AM | #90
If you can't play without addons and macros telling you what to do, then you should probably go back to wow :/