Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

dmanlong
01.05.2012 , 08:18 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post

As a guild leader and raid leader, I know how my raid members are performing without the aid of addons. I've been raid leading for 5 years now and its never been an issue. The only thing that not having addons means is that the conversation with the underperforming player is more uncomfortable because you lack proof.
I totally disagree. You were not able to properly assess your players without add ons. This might have been okay for a semi-casual guild, but it will not work for players who are performing at the highest level.

Not standing is stuff and doing your rotation properly is par for the course, not what makes an exceptional player. A top-end player is the best of the best and they are evaluated on so many different things. Damage output, interrupts, damage taken, positioning, what mobs they attacked and countless other factors.

Add-ons are an absolute necessity for this game to be taken seriously by competitive gamers. Anyone who says different has not played at the highest level.

TheSkate
01.05.2012 , 08:28 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by BoredOfMMOS View Post
we need addons its personal preference why does the way we play bother you?
is your small brain unable to figure out how they work?
are you really bad and don't want people to be even better?
the UI is horrible hopefully they allow some and i can make my own personal UI.

So explain to me why you dont want addons because it just makes little sense
We don't need addons. It's personal preference. Why does the way we play bother you?
The UI does need some work, but let BioWare fix it or make it customizable themselves.

So explain to us why you have to have addons because it makes little sense.

SapperDad
01.05.2012 , 09:22 AM | #43
There is a simple explanation to having certain things like threat meter and some sort of counter that is essential to todays mmo raiding.

9 times out of 10 you will have everyone set ready to go for tomorrows raid and when it comes along 1 to 3 people are missing. Then you go into pluging a sub in who you dont normally play with. This guy is a dps'er and he is doing only a third of what he is suppose to be doing with his gear level for this dps race boss. Wipe after wipe after wipe you wonder who is the issue with dps that we cant beat the enrage timer for. Its simple you will know if you use a meter.

As when it comes to threat meters its another simple explanation. You know as a dps'er and healer what threat you normally pull and when you can go all out. If there is an issue with a tank's threat it's something that can be noticed when you watch the meter. Either the tank is not getting enough threat and why? or the DPS'er is making too much and why?

These two only supplement the raid leader in finding out who in his/her raid is not doing their job or doesn't know how to play their character. Otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

Now I would love if BW awknowledged this need and instead of having a third party make add ons, put it in the game internally so there wont be a big download fuss and add ons working with patches.

These two things are necessary and if you want to down end game bosses before a million nerfs for the bad players than it's needed. When the system whether it be add-on or new in game option to turn on and off then you will use it or enjoy the operations accomplishment from the side lines at the fleet

ajjw
01.05.2012 , 09:30 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by dmanlong View Post
I totally disagree. You were not able to properly assess your players without add ons. This might have been okay for a semi-casual guild, but it will not work for players who are performing at the highest level.

Not standing is stuff and doing your rotation properly is par for the course, not what makes an exceptional player. A top-end player is the best of the best and they are evaluated on so many different things. Damage output, interrupts, damage taken, positioning, what mobs they attacked and countless other factors.

Add-ons are an absolute necessity for this game to be taken seriously by competitive gamers. Anyone who says different has not played at the highest level.
Exactly.
Ex WoW Vet: Top 30 EU PvE Guild - Demonology Warlock - Multiple Top3 WoL HC Parses
~ Those against DPS Meters would rather settle with mediocrity than strive for excellence
~ These forum mods somehow manage to hand out more infractions than TeamLiquid. Jesus.

zolthie
01.05.2012 , 09:35 AM | #45
Addons = Necessity

Watch this game go down the sink hole without em.

Kanana
01.05.2012 , 09:38 AM | #46
I'd rather have the game be aimed at the casual gaming majority, not balanced for the "competitive gamers". Nothing ruins a game faster than balancing content for the tiny minority of "professional raiders".

Couvs
01.05.2012 , 11:07 AM | #47
Certain addons I find do have their value, such as parsing addons and ui customizations. No problems there.

What I would prefer not to see would be a SWTOR equivalent to DBM. What I found happened in WoW was this addon began as a simple tool, just as people argue, which was simply informative of some mechanic coming up. It ended up turning into the game's worst necessary crutch, because the devs started making encounters so complex that it's near impossible to keep track of every single little thing that's happening. Sure there are some exceptions even in the Dragon Soul raid, but in general most encounters have made it necessary because they're designed around the fact that the addon simply exists.

I enjoy challenges as much as any other raider, but at the same time the complexity should be such that you can keep track of everything without an addon.

Royalwarden
01.05.2012 , 11:14 AM | #48
i dont want addons cause i don;t want botters simple as that more freedom in such configurations and macro setups it makes it easy for people to bot and that's something every wants to avoid

dmanlong
01.05.2012 , 11:16 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
I'd rather have the game be aimed at the casual gaming majority, not balanced for the "competitive gamers". Nothing ruins a game faster than balancing content for the tiny minority of "professional raiders".
Lotr Online is a fantasic game but does not allow add on and has a very small professional gaming end game.

This game failed even though its amazing because people don't want to play a second class game. People want to play the best and they want to strive to be the best and play with the best players.

No one watches the WNBA even though those women have amazing talent. Why? Is it because they would get destroyed by NBA players. People want to emulate the best.

Don't allow add on and you wont get professional gamers. No professional gamers and this game is dead in 6 months. Its a neccessary evil.

Taegost
01.05.2012 , 11:52 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by TheKanti View Post
Never have i heard of a addon doing this, please link me to one. I seen addons tell me when things proc, or number of seconds left on a cooldown. I have read up on rotations to max out my dps, but never have i seen a addon that does what you used as a example of. DPS charts may be elitist, but if you arent pulling your weight in a fight why should you get a fair shot at the gear im rolling on?
In WoW there was a mod called "Healbot". It literally brought healing down to 1 button. You clicked the button, it picked the person with the lowest health, and cast the lowest minimum heal on them.
So the entire fight, all you do is click the one button and occasionally step out of the fire.
I installed it, was horrified by what it did, and boycotted it ever since.