Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
i don't understand how people can Say "No addons" no one i forcing you to use them

Slomoshun
01.04.2012 , 09:26 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by lendaugy View Post
if im not forced to use an addon... than why if they were released would people be saying you must have X or Y Dps.. and Z or Q Healing.... or you cant run with us... Thats forcing people to have addons so they can know their Number of dps or heals
Oh GOD FORBID people want to play an MMO and be competitive.

Seriously people that complain about addons and dps meters or player stats are

A: Bad at the game and don't want to be easily spotted
or
B: Never played at a competitive level and don't know what it takes.

I NEED a target of target frame.
I WANT a dps meter.

I want to be able to take people on trial runs and decide if they're going to be an asset or just another person to carry.

Seriously, why would I recruit a Merc that has the same gear as me and can only do half the DPS that I'm doing in the? Or why should I recruit a healer that can't manage to heal more than 2 people without getting flustered?

All the information to play your class is out there. If you can't be bothered to learn it, or you're just too lazy then why should you get the opportunity of someone who want's to be better and wants to be worthy of that raid spot?

Basically right now the only way to judge a player is seeing how stupid they are..if they stand in AOE, don't target the right mob or die repeatedly to the same thing. This is just part of it. A person can be aware of their surroundings and know the boss fights but if they're doing poorly at playing their class, whether it be DPS, Tank or Healer how am I going to know?

anstalt
01.05.2012 , 05:42 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Slomoshun View Post
Basically right now the only way to judge a player is seeing how stupid they are..if they stand in AOE, don't target the right mob or die repeatedly to the same thing. This is just part of it. A person can be aware of their surroundings and know the boss fights but if they're doing poorly at playing their class, whether it be DPS, Tank or Healer how am I going to know?
You could open your eyes and observe what they are doing? Might take a little more effort and skill on your part but, you know, you're intelligent and great at playing the game right?

As a guild leader and raid leader, I know how my raid members are performing without the aid of addons. I've been raid leading for 5 years now and its never been an issue. The only thing that not having addons means is that the conversation with the underperforming player is more uncomfortable because you lack proof.

But, its your guild right? You are leading right? So you make the rules. If you are carrying someone and are fed up then just talk to that person and sort it out. Be an adult. I bet the person didn't even know they were rubbish and thus didn't try to improve. The best thing I ever did in a previous guild was implement a "core" list. All my good raiders were put on the core list, everyone else was left off. Those left off fell into two camps: clueless but didn't care, and clueless but wanted to improve. Those that didn't care got benched or left the guild, those that wanted to improve sought out help and got way better.

All the reasoning that people come up with for addons (improving rotations, ranking players, giving more information etc) are all just crutches to make the game easier. You don't need addons to be a good DPS. You dont need addons to kill bosses. They just make things easier and can end up trivialising content. Introducing addons that analyse combat logs, give informaiton on bosses, press buttons for you or whatever make the game easier (i.e. are crutches) but lower the tone and maturity of the playerbase and help support elitism.

So, yes to UI addons, no to everything else.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Valan
01.05.2012 , 05:45 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
I bet the person didn't even know they were rubbish and thus didn't try to improve.
You're right, because they have no Combat Log
Tactician, Operative of Rapture
a 16 player Operations guild on The Shadowlands

Togruta-Padawan
01.05.2012 , 06:43 AM | #34
I personally use to be a hardcore raider with 0 addons in WoW so I don't use them myself but if some people want them then by all means they should have them
-----------------------]//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[------------------------

Kryptaz
01.05.2012 , 06:54 AM | #35
Personally I don't care very much, but as many people I do have an opinion on the subject.

1. Addons such as UI, such be allowed - Some people likes it more simple, some more advanced with more options - atm there are none, so allowing these wouldn't change much.

2. DPS, Threat, Healing-meters, I don't think we need this as an Addon - but instead something which can be shown after each boss fight for example to see who does well and who don't (Implement one over all of the instance won't show anything but who slacks more on grps and such).

3. An addon that keeps track of cooldowns, this I don't think should be allowed. If you're a hardcore raider and says endgame content was easy in wow - well thank the healbot system and many more as described before in this topic - ridicoulous, either you know your class or not. Keeping track of cds is something you should learn - also make you play the game not some addon.

FOXROSE
01.05.2012 , 07:42 AM | #36
You want damage meters?

BIOWARE, please provide an instanced training area with DUMMY TARGETS to measure DPS. It can be a like a HOLODECK training ground. This way, damage meters can actually be used for what it was intended for, performance tweaking and not prejudicial conclusions.

EDIT:
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptaz View Post

2. DPS, Threat, Healing-meters, I don't think we need this as an Addon - but instead something which can be shown after each boss fight for example to see who does well and who don't (Implement one over all of the instance won't show anything but who slacks more on grps and such).
This would be a much simpler idea, and I like it. Just like the WARZONE summary but for Flashpoints and Operations.

Kryptaz
01.05.2012 , 07:45 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by FOXROSE View Post
You want damage meters?

BIOWARE, please provide an instanced training area with DUMMY TARGETS to measure DPS. It can be a like a HOLODECK training ground. This way, damage meters can actually be used for what it was intended for, performance tweaking and not epeen measurement.
I like the idea - good thinking.

PhoenixMatrix
01.05.2012 , 07:46 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by BoredOfMMOS View Post
we need addons its personal preference why does the way we play bother you?
is your small brain unable to figure out how they work?
are you really bad and don't want people to be even better?
the UI is horrible hopefully they allow some and i can make my own personal UI.

So explain to me why you dont want addons because it just makes little sense
A lot of the more fun game mechanics found in games where (advanced... basic UI add-ons and stuff are fine) add-ons aren't allowed cannot possibly make it in a game where add-ons do exist, as it trivializes them. The only type of raid that can possibly be made are choreography style raids (as are pretty much 100% of raids in WoW), and that gets boring something fast.

Simple enough for you?

RocNessMonster
01.05.2012 , 08:00 AM | #39
It comes down to this, in WOW the developers have to design encounters with add-ons in mind.

cyanidechaos
01.05.2012 , 08:00 AM | #40
This is a moot point. Bioware has already announced in upcoming patches they will be introducing a damage meter as well as a UI customization option.

Bioware has also stated previously (Believe it was a Forum Moderator) that third party addons would not be allowed for SW:ToR. Not sure if it was in general, or just for Beta testing but yeah. Further more, alot of addons will break the game until the developers of said patches can figure out a way to add them in without interfering with an enormous game structure. Overall I don't see third party addons as a foreseeable investment I am willing to make. If Bioware offers damage parsing (as some one else noted) I would occasionally use it.

Furthermore. I played WoW when there were no Addons, and yet for some reason when I raided I did just fine. I played seven years, raided in Vanilla WoW, Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm without addons. I think after playing for so long I knew what my character had to do and how to play them efficiently enough to where I could max out my DPS/Threat without monitoring it every second.