Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot rules? need and greed with companions

xxxJXTxxx
12.13.2011 , 10:25 AM | #31
Meh, I'm going to treat it like crafting components or w/e in other games. Greed it if your character can't use it immediately. Otherwise, with all the different companions we get, we're going to get needs on every single piece of rare drop.
SW:TOR - The end of my social life as I know it.

jleslie
12.13.2011 , 10:31 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Some believe that other players in the group should be priority over someone's companions, while others believe that if a companion can use it, they have a right to need on it.

Personally, I'm going to see how others start rolling and do the same. If people start rolling for companions, then I'll do the same for that group.
raid gear is droped for everyone per boss so that solves taht issue :/

Triiipledot
12.13.2011 , 10:32 AM | #33
I dont think needing for companions should be an option, what if people could use that same item for crafting? It should be player priority, if its not an upgrade for your player just roll greed.
Triple - Sith Juggernaut
Veela Server (EST PVP)
Member Of Dusk Till Dawn

mguitar
12.13.2011 , 10:34 AM | #34
I made a thread on this issue in the beta forums. The problem isn't just that people will "Need" on loot for their companions. Also with the modding system in place, people will "Need" on loot just for the mods within it! So with five companions each all of different classes and the current moddable gear system, essentially everybody needs everything, lol. This is going to be a ninja nightmare, mark my words. Eventually Bioware will be forced to make better looting mechanics. In the meantime we will all just have to tough it out the best we can. This would be solved if they brought back loot bags from beta, but it doesn't appear as if that's going to happen anytime soon.

Buddydudeguy
12.13.2011 , 10:36 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Triiipledot View Post
I dont think needing for companions should be an option,
Unfortunately the game has no way of telling what you intend to do with the item.
Quote: Originally Posted by Triiipledot View Post
It should be player priority, if its not an upgrade for your player just roll greed.
Agreed. As pointed out previously, when you think about it, later when you have all types of companions using all types of gear, you could say you " need" every single thing that drops.

Not cool.

carolinapanther
12.13.2011 , 10:41 AM | #36
Secondary, all get first shot for toon then after that if no one needs then you can need for companion. One should always ask first before needing for companions.

Mchagus
12.13.2011 , 10:47 AM | #37
if you need it need it...but dont 'need' light armor when ur a tank, unless its an upgrade for your companion, and the stats are correct for your companion

vadmacska
12.13.2011 , 10:49 AM | #38
I will not need anything for my companion. My companion is only with me when I solo. And, based on my beta experiences, there is no need to need items for the companion. The ones we get from quests, we craft or we buy from vendors are completely sufficient. Not to mention that we may have 5+2 companions altogether which would result in needing on everything if we wanted to gear all them up from flashpoints.

Just my two cents.

Ikkeditnavn
12.13.2011 , 10:51 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Mchagus View Post
if you need it need it...but dont 'need' light armor when ur a tank, unless its an upgrade for your companion, and the stats are correct for your companion
Let me understand your position right. You intend to pretty much need on everything in Flashpoints when you get into the 40s? Since your companions cover all the possible gear options, and questing only covers so much of their gearing.

canobeansPL
12.13.2011 , 10:54 AM | #40
In my opinion BioWare should implement a system similar to the one currently in WoW: can't personally use it, can't need on it. Solves the problem really well. It may be a little simplistic, but for now would do.

The approach I would personally like the most would be for a new loot window with three options to appear in the future. The three options would be the ones already proposed: personal need, companion need and greed. It is important to take note however, that the option to need for a companion in and of itself doesn't make much sense. After all, our teams of companions have been designed to encompass the entire spectrum of playstyles, so it could be argued that any player is well within their rights to roll for every little piece of equipment!

The system could work very well however, if players had to designate one companion to serve as their "main" for looting purposes. If a piece armor works for your artificial best buddy, the "Need: Companion" button lights up. That way group memebers would have the ability to put their solo-powerhouses ahead of other people's permanent crew skill grindbots, but would never be able to grab items valuable for actual player characters.

Of course, in an ideal world the entire system would be considered petty and juvenile! Unfortunately, as some posts in this thread show, we've still got some way to go before we get there .