Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot rules? need and greed with companions

snooggums
12.14.2011 , 06:53 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by OSUNightfall View Post
@Princess_Chibi and snnooggums and the rest:

You know I used to think like you in WoW right up until the time I started doing heroics and pugs. And you know what? I was dead wrong, and I would kick myself from a group for acting this way. Even with groups that are diverse and respect looting rules, you may have to run an instance 6 times to get the piece of gear you're wanting from the boss you're wanting. It's in no way okay for someone to need on the gear to put it on the auction house or give it to a companion. For the person needing an item without the role, it's a few credits or a slightly more powerful pet. For the person who has the role, it's having to do the flashpoint another five or six times because the other guy wanted his pet to look cool.

I do know where you're coming from. But experience has taught me the error of my ways, and how selfish *I* was to think that way.
You would have to run it 6 times anyway, since the loot drops randomly. If you didn't notice, the reason you changed your opinion was because you weren't getting the loot you felt you deserved because other people rolled on it too when they helped you down the boss.

At first, I went along with the 'roll by role' crap because players would get all huffy. Then they got all huffy if the piece was 10% better for a role even though it was also useful for another class. I only played a healer caster, but every time I saw some loot dictator claim that all Spirit pieces had to go to healers over other casters that get hit out of Spirit because it is 'healer gear' I respected the 'loot for role' less and less. It didn't affect me in any negative way, but I got to see two players who would benefit from a drop have their decision to roll overridden by some loot dictator. This of course repeated itself in equipment, if a player was wielding a 2 handed weapon and a single handed dropped that they had a matching one for, they would be denied a chance to roll because they were 'specced for two handers' even if they just had to spend 5 seconds activating their secondary spec.

Now all those long term MMO players (I played text based MUDs well before these whiney kids) who have applied their weekly raiding loot gear rolls to daily or limitless groups have become oppressive loot dictators who tell other players how they should play. Player A shouldn't care what Player B does with a piece of loot they win in a random dungeon. Players calling that 'ninja' because they disagree with the reason the player rolled Need are the most selfish, whiny, inconsiderate jerks I have ever come across in any online game in the last 20 years. If I get 'blacklisted' from their backslapping greed fests I don't care, I'll just lead my own instances with everyone deciding for themselves if they want to Need or Greed. Anyone who complains about someone else's decision, or someone that Needs every item won't be invited in the future, so I will end up with regulars who Need when they Need and Greed when they don't.

Animalfarm
12.14.2011 , 07:02 PM | #122
snookums wins, rest of y'all can just go home now.

Crimsonsojulja
12.14.2011 , 07:06 PM | #123
player > companion it's really that simple i don't see how anyone could think otherwise
<Decembercrew>
"ehh,Ill do it later

Animalfarm
12.14.2011 , 07:18 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Crimsonsojulja View Post
player > companion it's really that simple i don't see how anyone could think otherwise
False dichotomy. The companion is the player. Dichotomy bypassed, friction removed, problem solved.

Zaraath
12.14.2011 , 07:31 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Crimsonsojulja View Post
What if my companion outplays a player char? I know it will happen

jmasters
12.14.2011 , 07:58 PM | #126
Mainly a curiousity question. Didn't they say that bosses drop loot bags for everyone and it gives individual players a piece for their class or tokens? I may be wrong which is why I'm wondering why I remember hearing this somewhere.

Eternalnight
12.14.2011 , 07:58 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaraath View Post
What if my companion outplays a player char? I know it will happen
Then you kick the bad underperforming player out of the group

Animalfarm
12.14.2011 , 08:02 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Then you kick the bad underperforming player out of the group
Except without DPS meters or any kind of GUI support, how will anyone know?

And thus the circle of life continues.

Adrinar
12.14.2011 , 08:07 PM | #129
When it comes to loot rolls, I only ever greed for companions. If I need the item for my character then it is a need. Other than that it would be a greed roll.

But on several occasions, when I was a higher level helping out lower level characters in a mission chain, I passed on everything even if it looked tempting. There is always a chance for better loot in the areas of my own level than theirs. My character was only there to help them, not to grieve.

theadjectivenoun
12.14.2011 , 08:11 PM | #130
I know people will do this, so I'm going to roll on need if my companion can use it, since some body will always use the excuse "My companion needs it more then you."
"The Strange will walk alone"
"Who will be your pretty little enemy? When I am gone. Your world will prove empty, I promise you. you will always remember me"