Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot rules? need and greed with companions

Esproc
12.14.2011 , 08:01 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by helcaster View Post
Easy enough,all agree to hit NEED at the outset,if players end up with items they cannot use that others can,well its tough admittedly,rather that though,than some punk ninjas an item u need just to sell it on auction("companion")same thing.It's a shame but u have to look after you're own interests in todays MMO's..... or get burned.
This is what kills groups. If I am the only one that can use a type of gear and lose to someone who only plans to sell it ... Bye, I'll find a better group, and I'll let you know why too.

And I am normally a tank, what I did most through beta before trying some dps classes, although I do plan on running with guildies if they're on and ready.
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson.
One Amendment to save them all ...

Elizak
12.14.2011 , 08:06 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Jholiday View Post
So , I have spent some heavy time thinking about this and I think I have it solved. Please read and follow along.

One must understand that with 5 companions who all need gear, that if everyone rolled need for their companions the winner is the highest of that roll. Well if everyone rolls Greed then the same thing would occur ending in the same result. So.. Greed roll for your companions and in your head just pretend you Need rolled and feel better.

1. Player characters may Need roll on upgrades.

2. Players must roll Greed on anything they intend to distribute to their companion or items that will be sold on GTN or used as materials.

Exception to this rule... If your companion was present during the group providing support. IE. If your companion Main tanked the encounter for your group then the owner may roll need for gear to equip that companion. Or if you somehow ran an encounter with your companion Main healing then you could roll Need for your companion.

Let me know what you all think about the exception. I spent some time talking to fellow player at work and they found this to be fair.
I think this might be a reasonable way of doing things
[]ΦΞ██████████████████)

Drusillus
12.14.2011 , 08:16 AM | #113
I found, even in early Vanilla WoW that Loot Rules varied from server to server.

Its just easiest to ask the group how companion loot will be rolled on prior to killing the first boss. Or, do what I do and just don't roll right away. See how others roll and then follow suit.
Drusillus
Bloodguard | Mind Trick Server | PvE / EST
Recruiting is OPEN | Casual, Friendly, Adult Atmosphere

dahabs
12.14.2011 , 09:17 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Drusillus View Post
I found, even in early Vanilla WoW that Loot Rules varied from server to server.

Its just easiest to ask the group how companion loot will be rolled on prior to killing the first boss. Or, do what I do and just don't roll right away. See how others roll and then follow suit.
it has more impact ,if you dont like how theyre rolling .to just leave .after telling them why of course .

OSUNightfall
12.14.2011 , 01:47 PM | #115
@Princess_Chibi and snnooggums and the rest:

You know I used to think like you in WoW right up until the time I started doing heroics and pugs. And you know what? I was dead wrong, and I would kick myself from a group for acting this way. Even with groups that are diverse and respect looting rules, you may have to run an instance 6 times to get the piece of gear you're wanting from the boss you're wanting. It's in no way okay for someone to need on the gear to put it on the auction house or give it to a companion. For the person needing an item without the role, it's a few credits or a slightly more powerful pet. For the person who has the role, it's having to do the flashpoint another five or six times because the other guy wanted his pet to look cool.

I do know where you're coming from. But experience has taught me the error of my ways, and how selfish *I* was to think that way.

Animalfarm
12.14.2011 , 03:00 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
Doing this will get you black listed from many groups and guilds. Your companion is not more important than a player, and considering how many companions you get you should never be doing this.
This amuses me. The companion IS the player and an integral part of playing the game. If you truly feel otherwise then I suggest you try playing without using a companion and let us all know how all those solo quests are working out for you.

OSUNightfall
12.14.2011 , 03:30 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Animalfarm View Post
This amuses me. The companion IS the player and an integral part of playing the game. If you truly feel otherwise then I suggest you try playing without using a companion and let us all know how all those solo quests are working out for you.
No one is disputing that the companion is part of the player...while soloing. When players group up, it is in the shared understanding that by helping the group to advance, getting gear, you will be appropriately rewarded for what you are bringing to the table, and so will everyone else. Unless your companion is helping win the FP, you're taking gear from people who are using their main class to help, to improve a part of your class that did not help the group to advance. You're giving something to get something.

I get what you're saying, but expect pretty much every group you ever group with to disagree.

Ikkeditnavn
12.14.2011 , 03:49 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Animalfarm View Post
Now I will make a pretty outrageous argument, but I will appreciate it if everyone stays along for the entire thing.

The companion is indeed part of the player. That is true, but as noted it is a solo thing, it is something that boosts the personal experience of the given player alone, nobody but him. I think we can agree on that.

Now lets take the case of a guy Needing on a piece of gear for the looks over a guy that can actually use it. Rude? Yes. But hey the guy can argue that looking good in this gear boosts his personal gaming experience, hence he can do it, just like that other guy in the group who needed something for his companion that this guy wanted.
Both a pretty subjective, in that they make the person feel better about soloing. You can even argue that the look-Needer actually benefits from his little move in Flashpoints. The Companion-Needed will generally not.

Now, one of these two actually benefits from the stats, the other doesn't, but the basic situation is in fact rather similar. The question remains, why should everyone else suffer for your solo needs? The answer is "they shouldn't".

OzeebaWifa
12.14.2011 , 03:55 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Millerbros View Post
Just consider the companion as an extension of your own character. If your companion needs it then you need it.
Negative Sir, and if you pulled that in one of my groups, you'd be permanently blacklisted.
---
There are two groups of people you can make fun off on the internet without fear of retribution; the illiterate and the Amish.

Animalfarm
12.14.2011 , 04:02 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by OzeebaWifa View Post
Negative Sir, and if you pulled that in one of my groups, you'd be permanently blacklisted.
Being blacklisted by a fascist regime that imposes its group will upon the individual could be seen as quite the good thing.