Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot rules? need and greed with companions

Ruinondd
12.13.2011 , 11:23 PM | #101
Considerate people will ask if any players need the gear before rolling need for companions. Some will be $%^# and roll need immediately. Give it time and people will get known as ninja's and have a harder and harder time finding groups.
Guild Master Of Imperial Tax Collectors. Founding member of 1020th Armada.
http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/swt...?sig_id=126957

ishandi
12.13.2011 , 11:24 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Ojaix View Post
Yup agree with this ^^^^^^^^ Flag items for companions only and player only. The only problem with this is creating more loot and changing loot tables. It already exists with weapons so it shouldn't be too hard to impliment
This sounds like an option. But if the forums are any indication, people will still need on "Companion loot" for themselves because they won't have bothered to read the item description properly!

angelana
12.13.2011 , 11:31 PM | #103
The companion only gets rights to gear if everyone in the party that can use an item has passed or is rolling greed. The the player that wants to need it for their companion need to ask if it is okay. Companions NEVER get a need right above a player that can use it. This is the main reason I'm always leader of the party's I am in. If someone rolls need for a companion while Johnny Jedi over there is needing for it, I boot them from party for being a ninja. Would much rather take the time to find someone else then help some bung hole gear their companion.

snooggums
12.14.2011 , 12:48 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Xobie View Post
Bioware really messed up by having companions use the same gear as players. This will be trouble for the life of the game, until they give companions their own gear.
It's only a problem because greedy players have the opinion that they deserve specific gear from a group setting over the other players in the group.

Drakenborg
12.14.2011 , 12:53 AM | #105
When I played in Beta, mind me - as a Trooper, I used to run around with Aric and give him my old gear when I changed to better. I did some heroic quests with other people who had same type companions and I never seen them to 'need' roll for them.

Ofcourse this will be an issue now, so I would suggest grouping with guildies, people you can trust, that they wont steal your gear 'because their companion use green and this is blue'.
Brakkar
Radiant Knights

swtor.radiantknights.co.uk

firequill
12.14.2011 , 01:12 AM | #106
Nah, since we get 5 companions, all needing different gear, that just means we all roll need all the time, on everything..

I'll be content with rolling greed for companions..

On the other hand, i won't make a fuss if someone rolled need on an item for a companion that has been active through the whole thing and helped out..

kinda like with players, if you helped, you get to roll..

I'll have to communicate with the others about it

helcaster
12.14.2011 , 02:33 AM | #107
Easy enough,all agree to hit NEED at the outset,if players end up with items they cannot use that others can,well its tough admittedly,rather that though,than some punk ninjas an item u need just to sell it on auction("companion")same thing.It's a shame but u have to look after you're own interests in todays MMO's..... or get burned.

Areka
12.14.2011 , 06:02 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
How do u think we will use the need and greed rule now that we have companions?
To keep your main companion well geared is very important if soloing or grouping occasionally. Trust me on that one.

That said, when grouping and loot appears, I only pick Need if I can use it (as in it's better than what I currently have) and none of my companions matter.
Lord Alaric: At last, the Dark Council has answered my petitions and sent a powerful fighting Sith to help secure the temple!
Sith Warrior: I'm just here to check the plumbing.

Sicariidae
12.14.2011 , 07:29 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Millerbros View Post
Just consider the companion as an extension of your own character. If your companion needs it then you need it.
=/ that way you'll be fighting over every piece of gear by lvl 50 (multiple companions) I'd just say only need on the gear you yourself need and if everyone else greeds/passes on a piece of armour your companion could use, need it.

Don't start stealing tanking gear from the tank just because you think your tank companion can use it.

Jholiday
12.14.2011 , 07:52 AM | #110
So , I have spent some heavy time thinking about this and I think I have it solved. Please read and follow along.

One must understand that with 5 companions who all need gear, that if everyone rolled need for their companions the winner is the highest of that roll. Well if everyone rolls Greed then the same thing would occur ending in the same result. So.. Greed roll for your companions and in your head just pretend you Need rolled and feel better.

1. Player characters may Need roll on upgrades.

2. Players must roll Greed on anything they intend to distribute to their companion or items that will be sold on GTN or used as materials.

Exception to this rule... If your companion was present during the group providing support. IE. If your companion Main tanked the encounter for your group then the owner may roll need for gear to equip that companion. Or if you somehow ran an encounter with your companion Main healing then you could roll Need for your companion.

** Addition, These gear are expected to be equip upon receiving them.

Let me know what you all think about the exception. I spent some time talking to fellow player at work and they found this to be fair.
You stack em up, I burn em down !