Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How did Han get to Bespin with no light speed?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How did Han get to Bespin with no light speed?

Stilanas
01.03.2012 , 11:05 PM | #1
I think this qualifies as a plot hole. Sub-light speed is shown in the universe to be fairly slow. A friend of mine, playng tie fighter, once compared the amount of time it takes for one ship to fly across the length of a star destroyer, which has a known length. The ships seem to fly slower than cars, so there is not really a feasible way for the falcon to have gone from one star system to another in a reasonable amount of time. So in that sense, how could the falcon have gotten to Bespin?

Also, light speed is depicted really inconsistently. It might take days or hours to get somewhere, or it might take minutes to get from corusant to mustafar, just in time for Darth Sideous to rescue Vader.

atlasstar
01.03.2012 , 11:14 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Stilanas View Post
I think this qualifies as a plot hole. Sub-light speed is shown in the universe to be fairly slow. A friend of mine, playng tie fighter, once compared the amount of time it takes for one ship to fly across the length of a star destroyer, which has a known length. The ships seem to fly slower than cars, so there is not really a feasible way for the falcon to have gone from one star system to another in a reasonable amount of time. So in that sense, how could the falcon have gotten to Bespin?

Also, light speed is depicted really inconsistently. It might take days or hours to get somewhere, or it might take minutes to get from corusant to mustafar, just in time for Darth Sideous to rescue Vader.
He fixed it for one jump if you payed attention they had just enough juice to make a jump Bespin from hoth.

Also they travel FTL aka Faster then Light which under Einstein theory is supposed to be imposable anyway but this isn't are world its star wars...

Also just cause I fell like posting something else for now.

Troll (provided by wikkipiddia ) : In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".
short Faq on me: (1.No I am not 12. (2 Been on since 2009 account was deleted due to tec problem thus I have no life just like you.3)I dont care about your opinion, but in fairness Ill read it. 4)RIP'5)main trooper cause it has a grenade launcher.

Wolfninjajedi
01.03.2012 , 11:26 PM | #3
Um no its not a plot hole and Han didn't fix it for one jump. They were in the Anoat system where Bespin is.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bespin

"Bespin was a gas giant in the Bespin system of the Anoat sector on the Ison Corridor in the Greater Javin region of the Outer Rim Territories. "
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Scribblicious
01.03.2012 , 11:35 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Um no its not a plot hole and Han didn't fix it for one jump. They were in the Anoat system where Bespin is.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bespin

"Bespin was a gas giant in the Bespin system of the Anoat sector on the Ison Corridor in the Greater Javin region of the Outer Rim Territories. "
Bespin system in Anoat sector =/= Anoat system
ịị◚◚◚◚◚δЭịịịị▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Rikalonius
01.04.2012 , 12:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Stilanas View Post

Well, sublight could be anywhere from just under lightspeed to 1 mph I suppose, so the question is, how fast was the Falcon travelling. If it was in the same solar system as Bespin, then it just depends on speed and distance. At one tenth the speed of light, I think it would take 5 hours get from Earth to Jupiter. Let's say they are on the outskirts of the solar system and Bespin is hovering over a gas giant like Saturn or Jupiter. I think the trip could reasonably be made in one day. Still, they'd be stinky. I didn't see any showers on that ship, and they were still in the same clothes.

Durzaka
01.04.2012 , 12:50 AM | #6
Fighters can travel very fast.

According to some of the books, some of the approach patterns and attack sequences they describe say they are traveling at near light, and therefro have no time to react to anything until they get to the battle.

And they never mention using the lightspeed drives to do it.
Durzaka Retribution

Stilanas
01.04.2012 , 01:29 AM | #7
If they are traveling close to light speed, then no human could have the reaction time to fly the ship, never mind all of the problems with banking and turning. Also it takes far to long for them to cross a known distance for it to be near light. Finally, the lasers they are shooting at each other appear to fly slower than bullets, so there would be no way they could hit anything.

Vecke
01.04.2012 , 01:37 AM | #8
The entire reason Han and Leia sat in the cockpit looking at the computer was so they could find a station that they could make it to. That's when Han noticed Lando's place.

I mean, that's why they went to Lando's. Because he was close enough to do it.

That's also how Fett was able to determine where Han was heading (because it was the only place in the area), and it's how the Empire got there ahead of time and set up their little surprise.

All in all, it made perfect sense to me. There are quite a few moments in Star Wars that makes me go, "Huh?" but that's not one of them.
"I know."

o-rii
01.04.2012 , 04:19 AM | #9
Fett followed them from the Star Destroyer when they release with the garbage..
I can has Jedi... or Sith...

Annikhan
01.04.2012 , 04:26 AM | #10
Time is also not a factor here. While they are traveling to Bespin they pan back to Luke traing with Yoda.

It's quite concievable that the trip took over a month. I think it's a safe bet that it was at least weeks because Luke was getting close to the end of his training when he got the visions of them being in danger. Luke also mentions he's come a long way since his mistake in the cave.

When Luke comes back from Bespin Yoda tells Luke he has nothing more to teach.