Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Expertise stat has to go...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The Expertise stat has to go...

uhhhhahhhhohahh's Avatar


uhhhhahhhhohahh
01.03.2012 , 07:49 PM | #1
A level 50 PvP bracket simply will not save the PvP in this game.

There is no logical explanation for having a PvP stat in this MMO game, or in fact any MMO game. The only possible reason for Expertise to exist in this game is to screw over people who cant grind it first.

Even if you did have a 50's only bracket, you'd be creating more problems than you're fixing. Aside from all the obvious queue time issues, the 50's bracket will suffer from the exact same problems we have now; the bracket will divided up into New 50's and Old 50's, ie. people who dont have their 10% Expertise bonus yet, and those that do.

But you might say, "Everyone will become an Old 50 eventually." and yes, they might. But then what would be the point in everyone having the same 10% Expertise bonus, when all it's going to do is cancel out everyone elses 10% Expertise bonus. The only outside issue there is that healing will still be 10% stronger, but if you wanted that why wouldn't you just lower the Trauma debuff by 10%?

It's honestly unimaginable to even begin to hope to understand what anyone was thinking when they thought putting Expertise into the game would be a good idea.


Removing the stat doesn't mean PvP Gear has to go, the point of PvP Gear/Experience/Credits in the first place is so that people who want an alternative to PvE can still progress. There all kinds of stats in this game that mean you could make all kinds of PvP Gear Sets, whether they are Purple or Mods, so people can look however they want to, or however you want them to look, and they can mix and match all these different pieces of gear to whatever their hearts desire. To give you an idea of the combinations of gear that could be possible:

- Primary Stat
- Endurance
  • Crit Rating
  • Surge
  • Alacrity
  • Power

Now reverse the Primary Stat and Endurance, so that Endurance is the bigger of the two and look how much choice you have... something for everyone, even. Now when you're 50 and you arent bolstered anymore, you can decide which stat you want more of, in return for lower stats on other stuff, or you can even decide to have an equal balance.

A crazy thing, having a choice, isn't it? Like choosing to have Fun over Frustration. Or choosing to resubscribe... or perhaps not.



I'm not even mad.

Puremallace's Avatar


Puremallace
01.03.2012 , 07:51 PM | #2
Raid gear vs people who do not want to raid

WoW calls it Resilience
Rift calls it Valor
TOR calls it Expertise

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
01.05.2012 , 08:25 PM | #3
It's a stupid stat, and bad for the game.

Stealthy_Monkey's Avatar


Stealthy_Monkey
01.05.2012 , 08:29 PM | #4
The reason for it isn't to help or hinder pvp'ers, it's to prevent raiders from being forced to pvp to remain competitive

Husanak's Avatar


Husanak
01.05.2012 , 08:31 PM | #5
What do Wow and Rift have in common seeing as some one else mentioned the names.... They both have extremely low new PvP player uptake. Getting people to enter PvP in those games and stick with it long enough to be on par gear wise (Or close enough to be competitive) simply doesn't happen, at a rate that replaces outgoing players.

Both of those games have PvP communities that loose members faster then they replace them with new Ex PvE Playing converts. The PvP stats make it VERY VERY hard to introduce new players to the fantastic world of PvP that we all get. I think most of us will grind on alts when we have too ect... because we are already hooked. There was a time when every one of us was not a PVP player... admit it none of us came to PvP first.

The bracketing that PvP stats creates drives away growth. It will become a problem for TOR in the future as well.

Lord_Karsk's Avatar


Lord_Karsk
01.05.2012 , 08:33 PM | #6
Alot of players is working really hard to get that gear doing 15+++ warzones everyday for weeks, so no they will not remove it to make only hardcore raiders have the best gear.

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
01.05.2012 , 08:34 PM | #7
That's right, it discourages new people trying pvp the longer it stays in the game.

Sarkav's Avatar


Sarkav
01.05.2012 , 08:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Stealthy_Monkey View Post
The reason for it isn't to help or hinder pvp'ers, it's to prevent raiders from being forced to pvp to remain competitive
And also to prevent competitive pvpers from being forced to raid.

Seriously, no one seems to remember the old days when the raiders would dominate PvP based on gear advantages and everyone would whine about that.

The game is built around gear progression. Having two different paths for PvE and PvP is a good thing because it allows people to focus on what they like to do without feeling like they have to do everything if they don't want to. If you want a completely level playing field from the get go, there are many other different types of PvP games out there.

SolxTheUnmaker's Avatar


SolxTheUnmaker
01.05.2012 , 08:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
What do Wow and Rift have in common seeing as some one else mentioned the names.... They both have extremely low new PvP player uptake. Getting people to enter PvP in those games and stick with it long enough to be on par gear wise (Or close enough to be competitive) simply doesn't happen, at a rate that replaces outgoing players.

Both of those games have PvP communities that loose members faster then they replace them with new Ex PvE Playing converts. The PvP stats make it VERY VERY hard to introduce new players to the fantastic world of PvP that we all get. I think most of us will grind on alts when we have too ect... because we are already hooked. There was a time when every one of us was not a PVP player... admit it none of us came to PvP first.

The bracketing that PvP stats creates drives away growth. It will become a problem for TOR in the future as well.
This has to be the best logic i have ever read, you sir need to be the head of PVP development for Bioware.

Husanak's Avatar


Husanak
01.05.2012 , 08:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
Alot of players is working really hard to get that gear doing 15+++ warzones everyday for weeks, so no they will not remove it to make only hardcore raiders have the best gear.
If Bio had any vision... they would have done away with the idea of a PvP stat... and designed a PvE Stat. A way to make 30 30 30 stats on both gear... with PvE raid gear that adds 10% bonuses too PvE content. That would have been the fix.... PvP stats are the completely wrong way to go about it... No NPC is going to wine that that fully geared raid group is smacking em 10% harder.