Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Old Republic, it is not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Old Republic, it is not.

Calax
01.08.2012 , 10:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
Personally I both love and hate parts of the story. It seems that parts are really well written with great intentions but then others are there merely to make people think of the movies. Now don't get me wrong, I love the odd reference here or there to the films such as the Wookie at the Dejarik table on Nal Hutta with a protocol droid whose arms are on the table, but there seem to be so many sweeping nods at the movies that it begins to get extremely annoying.

My biggest problem in this respect is probably my Smuggler storyline. I love the premise of creating your own storyline in the Star Wars setting but when I play my smuggler it really doesn't feel this way. I'll wrap the details in spoilers as I don't want to ruin anything for people.

Spoiler
Look, everything in this game is a gigantic reference. One of the SIS agents you meet in the Knight story is Rieken... who would be an ancestor to the Rebel Alliance's head military guy on Hoth.

Part of this is because they had a mandate to stick to the art style of the prequels (which is why sith troopers became more like the love child of Storm Troopers and the Brotherhood of Steel, and Republic troopers just became Clone Troopers), and part of it is because they wanted to make sure people playing a star wars game could feel like they were in a star wars game.

krisslanza
01.08.2012 , 10:56 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Calax View Post
Look, everything in this game is a gigantic reference. One of the SIS agents you meet in the Knight story is Rieken... who would be an ancestor to the Rebel Alliance's head military guy on Hoth.

Part of this is because they had a mandate to stick to the art style of the prequels (which is why sith troopers became more like the love child of Storm Troopers and the Brotherhood of Steel, and Republic troopers just became Clone Troopers), and part of it is because they wanted to make sure people playing a star wars game could feel like they were in a star wars game.
Then on Balmorra, the guy in charge is Commander Madine.

If he asks where his darn cover is, I'll feed him to the Imperials...

Forgon
01.08.2012 , 11:06 AM | #23
Just a quick tidbit, Hoth was named long before SWTOR lorewise and was not named after General Hoth from the Russan Reformation area, although many incorrectly are led to believe that.

Second quick tidbit: The galaxy is big with billions of systems and millions more undiscovered. Try finding Dromund Kaas thousands of light years from Korriban without hyperspace coordinates to it.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Bird_of_Thunder
01.08.2012 , 11:22 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by resistentialist View Post
Nope. Boba Fett used a blaster carbine, not pistols. Obviously he wasn't a bounty hunter at all.
That is my problem with the bounty hunter class. We can't use carbines!!!

Hopefully we will get them soon...
Darth Ravvok
Carnage Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

DarkestDaemon
01.08.2012 , 01:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Deejon_Loy View Post
Then why were there no Imperial troops sent there to hunt down a "crazy old wizard" and "the offspring of Anakin Skywalker"? ... especially since Anakin knew about his family there (and supposedly Palpatine knew, since Anakin told only him and Padme what he did to the Sand People out of revenge for his mother). The only reason why the Imperials ever did arrive was to find the Death Star plans in R2's computer.

Dagobah still makes sense as a hiding place, as the prequels STILL don't explain what connection Yoda has to it, nor why he went there.
Palpatine probably decided, if the entire Jedi Order couldn't defeat him, a few wayward Knights and Masters wouldn't prove a great obstacle in his plans. Especially since none of them were lending any real aid to the Rebel Alliance.

SHAdyfett
01.08.2012 , 04:42 PM | #26
The onl part of story line of history that bothers me is Knight errant And the bane series appear next on the timeline. Am i supposed to believe that The sith win the war then miracoulosly the republic comes back or are they just gonna denounce Knight errant because i lioked that book Anyone?

SHAdyfett
01.08.2012 , 04:45 PM | #27
meant to say liked my english is bad

Gratulor
01.08.2012 , 04:57 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Calax View Post
I am not the only one in the world named Heimir (few, but over 100), and the surname Smith is incredibly common. They don't have to be related to have the same name.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."

LordRelyks
01.08.2012 , 04:59 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by jayderyu View Post
I love this game. I will continue to play, but ToR's setting irks me. Yes this is a non helpful post. I just want to get this off my chest.

For years Dark Horse Comics has had the Star Wars comic licence. Their stories have added a huge depth to the pre movies era in regards to the Golden Age of the Jedi. To me KOTOR was a fantastic Star Wars Game. It was set in the Golden Age period of time. It was set in what was the Dark Horse EU. KOTOR was just amazing with Bioware's own creative minds only adding to the over story.

Check this guy out. He's a bounty Hunter that Bioware created with their own creative juices. Most of KOTOR is filled with wonderful Golden age of the Jedi elements. Let's take a look at Calo Nord a little more in regards to what's "Wrong" with him.
http://www.starwarsklub.hu/06_toys_c.../calo_nord.jpg
http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/kotor/calo-nord.jpg

He has no jet pack. He has no missile launcher, he has no wrist mounted flame, missile and high end weaponry pack. What's wrong with him is that he represents a Bounty Hunter in the films, comics, fiction that is not Boba Fett.

The game of ToR. This is all over the place in regards to movie fiction of a linear elements. All Hunters are Fett. I don't know why, but they are. Alderaan, really? House Organa? we are talking about 3000 years and no other house has ever risen to power? How do we even now that House Organa was even prominent on Alderaan?

Hoth. Hoth was chosen because it was an ice planet that no one ever went to. Hoth was the republic base because it was well hidden. Why is there now a civilization and bases on it for 3000 years? I could go on, but I'm wasting valuable play ToR play time on this.

I don't blame Bioware or EA. I Blame Lucas Arts. They do this kind of work all the time. They take whatever they felt is popular in the movies and adapt it as close as possible to what they are making.

So in answer to my personal irk about this. I made the decision that this does not take 3000 years before the movies, but instead 300 years. That's why everything feels just before the movies. Because it is

Anyway. It's still a fantastic game that I'm going to enjoy for the next near decade and for now I've wasted enough time not playing ToR. it's time to do something more constructive. in the SWTOR universe than rant about the LA Palpatine style of control. May the Force be with you.
In regards to House Organa, dynasties last for a long time.

Wiz' Khalifa/Nevaro Kas'im from Flurry SWG.

Gratulor
01.08.2012 , 04:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SHAdyfett View Post
The onl part of story line of history that bothers me is Knight errant And the bane series appear next on the timeline. Am i supposed to believe that The sith win the war then miracoulosly the republic comes back or are they just gonna denounce Knight errant because i lioked that book Anyone?
The Sith Order was refounded 1000 years later by Darth Ruin. His Empire and the Republic fought a war for the next thousand years until Bane destroyed it's remnants. The Odionites and Daimonites are among the splinter mini-Empires of Darth Ruin's.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."