Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Old Republic, it is not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Old Republic, it is not.

G_Gruschow
01.07.2012 , 12:45 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by resistentialist View Post
Nope. Boba Fett used a blaster carbine, not pistols. Obviously he wasn't a bounty hunter at all.

No, but his Dad did, and Boba saw where *that* ended up.....

G_Gruschow
01.07.2012 , 12:49 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Deejon_Loy View Post
... speaking of Tatooine: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO APPEAR IN EVERY SINGLE STAR WARS MEDIA, TO INCLUDE ALL BUT 1 MOVIE, PRACTICALLY EVERY VIDEO GAME, AND A NUMBER OF BOOKS??? For a planet that nobody in-universe is supposed to know about, all the important stuff always occurs there.
Not so much that nobody knows about it but that most don't *care*...

Omnitheo
01.07.2012 , 01:44 PM | #13
To be honest, as far as bounty hunters go, I think a lot of influence was taken from how BH's are represented in the Clone Wars cartoon. (And this isn't necessarily a bad thing, they are pretty awesome, and everytime i see them, it makes me love my own BH even more).

I'm torn on the Hoth issue. They make up some good explanation for people being there, but really, the planet shouldn't be discovered (or at least not named Hoth anyways) for thousands more years. I understand it's in there for the sake of being iconic, but do we really need 4 ice planets in the game?

(Alderaan, Hoth, Belsavis, Ilum). It's a bit much

Deejon_Loy
01.08.2012 , 12:29 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by G_Gruschow View Post
Not so much that nobody knows about it but that most don't *care*...
Then why were there no Imperial troops sent there to hunt down a "crazy old wizard" and "the offspring of Anakin Skywalker"? ... especially since Anakin knew about his family there (and supposedly Palpatine knew, since Anakin told only him and Padme what he did to the Sand People out of revenge for his mother). The only reason why the Imperials ever did arrive was to find the Death Star plans in R2's computer.

Dagobah still makes sense as a hiding place, as the prequels STILL don't explain what connection Yoda has to it, nor why he went there.

JonnnyB
01.08.2012 , 01:39 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by xellfish View Post
Don't get fooled by the star map. It makes the galaxy look pretty small. In reality, the actual placement of the systems should make no difference what so ever. You cold probably hide an entire empire right in the middle of the core worlds, and no one would notice.

The milky way has about 300,000,000,000 stars in it, most of which with their own solar system. And still more than 99% of it is empty space. You don't just happen to "drive" by a solar system on your way to work. Either you know exactly where it is and are specifically going there, or you won't see more of it than a little sparkle in the sky.

This also holds true for the Star Wars universe. Even if they can travel faster than light, they still have to know exactly where they're going, or they'll end up in empty space. The old Sith Empire and the Republic coexisted for thousands of years, spanning hundreds of worlds without them knowing of each other. The only way the Empire found the Republic is because they got the coordinates from some (statistically incredibly) unlucky traders. Otherwise, the Republic would have remained invisible to them.
Well, you could send a probe to each star and then have the probe figure out if a planet is heavily populated or not. If it is heavily populated (as the Empire's capital would be) then do a little more investigation.

If the Empire could find a tiny rebel base on Hoth then there is no reason why the Republic couldn't find a multi-world Empire.

Sinemetu
01.08.2012 , 01:55 AM | #16
Who says they were looking?

I agree about the way they try to make things like the movies when there's absolutely no reason to think there should be any similarity. Think about how earth looked just a thousand years ago, politically. It's hard to believe the Organa family name should even exist.

On the other hand, it was pretty funny as an imperial running into the noble who says, "I'd sooner see my planet blasted into rubble than in the hands of the Empire!" Request granted.
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.

Deejon_Loy
01.08.2012 , 02:15 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinemetu View Post
Who says they were looking?
As hard as Palpatine tried, Order 66 did not kill off all the Jedi all at once, there were still several spread throughout the Galaxy who weren't involved in the War, and thus were nowhere near any Clone Troopers. This is why the Clones sent out an emergency signal from the Temple alerting all Jedi to return to Coruscant at once... until Obi-Wan and Yoda reprogrammed it instructing the Jedi to stay away, and go into hiding. Therefore Darth Vader spent almost a decade "help[ing] the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" that were in hiding. Anakin/Vader obviously knew Obi-Wan survived Order 66, and although Palpatine told Vader that he killed Padme, he said nothing about killing her child as well, thus Vader still had a child somewhere. Palpatine most likely knew this, and probably had a secret detachment, that he kept from Vader, to search for the possible young Skywalker. Years without any leads would have led him to abandon the search (as he did with Yoda, whom he knew was still alive).

Chaac
01.08.2012 , 05:15 AM | #18
Personally I both love and hate parts of the story. It seems that parts are really well written with great intentions but then others are there merely to make people think of the movies. Now don't get me wrong, I love the odd reference here or there to the films such as the Wookie at the Dejarik table on Nal Hutta with a protocol droid whose arms are on the table, but there seem to be so many sweeping nods at the movies that it begins to get extremely annoying.

My biggest problem in this respect is probably my Smuggler storyline. I love the premise of creating your own storyline in the Star Wars setting but when I play my smuggler it really doesn't feel this way. I'll wrap the details in spoilers as I don't want to ruin anything for people.

Spoiler
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

Bielduwyn
01.08.2012 , 08:11 AM | #19
I don't see the problem. :P Corellians have apparently been making starships for millennia already, and still are in the films. Even the Kuat Drive Yards already exist, and have existed since the early days of the Republic, that's a company existing for nearly twenty thousand years.

And even in KotOR we already have our hyperdrives and everything. I've just come to accept that things don't change an awful lot in the Star Wars galaxy.

Sinemetu
01.08.2012 , 08:45 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Deejon_Loy View Post
As hard as Palpatine tried, Order 66 did not kill off all the Jedi all at once, there were still several spread throughout the Galaxy who weren't involved in the War, and thus were nowhere near any Clone Troopers. This is why the Clones sent out an emergency signal from the Temple alerting all Jedi to return to Coruscant at once... until Obi-Wan and Yoda reprogrammed it instructing the Jedi to stay away, and go into hiding. Therefore Darth Vader spent almost a decade "help[ing] the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" that were in hiding. Anakin/Vader obviously knew Obi-Wan survived Order 66, and although Palpatine told Vader that he killed Padme, he said nothing about killing her child as well, thus Vader still had a child somewhere. Palpatine most likely knew this, and probably had a secret detachment, that he kept from Vader, to search for the possible young Skywalker. Years without any leads would have led him to abandon the search (as he did with Yoda, whom he knew was still alive).
Um... why on earth would you think this has anything to do with what I said?
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.