Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Focus Target?

Cmdluke
01.03.2012 , 11:48 AM | #1
There is an option in prefs to allow you to use hotkeys for on a focus target. what exactly does this do? how do you set your focus target? can anyone please explain this to me?

thanks
"The Force is a Balance between the Light and the Dark" - Qun'aris Sunnrider
Jedi Consular Balance Sage

Bibdy
01.03.2012 , 01:09 PM | #2
Focus target is a secondary targeting system. Normally you select a primary target with left-click (you can also use tab to cycle through enemies, CTRL+Tab to cycle through friendlies, etc.) and the target shows up at the bottom-right of the screen.

Focus-target sets up a secondary target, which you can use to cast abilities on using a hotkey e.g. if 1 is a heal spell, and you press Alt+1, it will cast the heal spell on your Focus target instead of your current target. I believe the button is configurable in the preferences somewhere. Using focus will also show up an extra health-bar on the UI to keep track of that target's status.

The general usage of this tool is for healers to keep track of two friends simultaneously, or a tank to keep track of both the enemy they're attacking and the state of their healer, or a PvP damage dealer to keep an eye on what someone nearby is up to, so they know when to CC/interrupt them. This allows them to use abilities on these focus targets, without having to struggle with finding them and left-clicking on them (or using tab/ctrl+tab) in a clutch situation, as well as keep track of their health and what abilities they're casting.

Cmdluke
01.03.2012 , 01:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Bibdy View Post
Focus target is a secondary targeting system. Normally you select a primary target with left-click (you can also use tab to cycle through enemies, CTRL+Tab to cycle through friendlies, etc.) and the target shows up at the bottom-right of the screen.

Focus-target sets up a secondary target, which you can use to cast abilities on using a hotkey e.g. if 1 is a heal spell, and you press Alt+1, it will cast the heal spell on your Focus target instead of your current target. I believe the button is configurable in the preferences somewhere. Using focus will also show up an extra health-bar on the UI to keep track of that target's status.

The general usage of this tool is for healers to keep track of two friends simultaneously, or a tank to keep track of both the enemy they're attacking and the state of their healer, or a PvP damage dealer to keep an eye on what someone nearby is up to, so they know when to CC/interrupt them. This allows them to use abilities on these focus targets, without having to struggle with finding them and left-clicking on them (or using tab/ctrl+tab) in a clutch situation, as well as keep track of their health and what abilities they're casting.
thank you for the reply. I know the basic function, but I couldn't figure out how to set the focus target. I'm playing a sage and i'd like Qyzen to be my focus so i can heal him easily. once I turn on the function, how to I set him as my focus target?
"The Force is a Balance between the Light and the Dark" - Qun'aris Sunnrider
Jedi Consular Balance Sage

sjmc
01.03.2012 , 02:50 PM | #4
I have left the "set focus" as Alt-F and set the hotkey to be my middle mouse button.

I will target my companion normally and press Alt-F which sets him up as my focus target. After that, regardless of what I have targeted, when I hold down my middle mouse button and press my heal spell hotkey, my companion gets healed. However, my main target doesn't change -- so if my next action is a damage ability, it will do damage to whatever I am attacking. If I don't press the middle mouse button, and I am targeting an enemy, I will get healed rather than my companion.

However, it doesn't always work very well.

Bibdy
01.03.2012 , 02:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cmdluke View Post
thank you for the reply. I know the basic function, but I couldn't figure out how to set the focus target. I'm playing a sage and i'd like Qyzen to be my focus so i can heal him easily. once I turn on the function, how to I set him as my focus target?
There should be an option in the 'Targeting' area of the keybinding options somewhere to assign 'Focus target' to a keybinding.