Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Devolution of technology

malevolunze
01.03.2012 , 08:52 AM | #1
Doesnt it seem strange that the further back you go in the star wars timeline the technology is more advanced?

I realise the reason for this is develepors have better creativity and resources and that if everything looked less advanced and awesome than it did in the original movies it would seem a little bland.

Lolliipopp
01.03.2012 , 08:56 AM | #2
Yeah it's weird
| i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz | NH-D14 | P67 Sabertooth | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu | GTX 560ti | 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD in RAID 0 | BitFenix Shinobi | ASUS Xonar Essence One DAC | Prodipe Pro5 |

Sjax
01.03.2012 , 08:59 AM | #3
If you need to justify it in-universe you might argue that culture and technology has sort of stagnated through Empire rule. Remember, the first movie started with the Empire 17 as the universal power or so. Also, the Death Star is obviously the most technologically advanced space station ever built (you also see the schematic in revenge of the sithi i remember) it just looks inferior due to the lack of resources you mention and a different sci-fi style back then.
Don't Hutt.

Kanubis
01.03.2012 , 09:01 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sjax View Post
If you need to justify it in-universe you might argue that culture and technology has sort of stagnated through Empire rule. Remember, the first movie started with the Empire 17 as the universal power or so. Also, the Death Star is obviously the most technologically advanced space station ever built (you also see the schematic in return of the jedi i remember) it just looks inferior due to the lack of resources you mention and a different sci-fi style back then.
This is how I've justified it. The republic was affluent and could afford to consider aesthetics in their starship designs. The Rebellion was poor and had to go for functionality over slinky curves.

Likewise, the Empire's requirements was that the technology looked intimidating, hence they based it on the old Sith Empire's sharp-angled capital ships and starfighters.

Wolfninjajedi
01.03.2012 , 09:22 AM | #5
Function > Looks

Technology does not devolve over time, its just improved on and there are some tech that is better then what the OR era has, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto is replaced with Bacta

Droids become more advanced

War tech changes drastically and becomes a lot better

Just because of the tech of this era "looks" better does not mean it is better then the tech of the Clone Wars or GCW eras.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Raeln
01.03.2012 , 10:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Function > Looks

Technology does not devolve over time, its just improved on and there are some tech that is better then what the OR era has, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto is replaced with Bacta

Droids become more advanced

War tech changes drastically and becomes a lot better

Just because of the tech of this era "looks" better does not mean it is better then the tech of the Clone Wars or GCW eras.
I believe there is a trope that defines this, but I have no time to search again for what it was called.

Nonetheless, nothing new is ever invented. Everything existed before and only needs to be rediscovered. As an example - the Infinite Empire and Rakata all had more advanced technology than what we have currently in our timeline for our characters. From the Consular storyline on Tython, those droids down in the bowels of those ruins had went without memory wipes and repairs for thousands of years. Far more progressed than what is currently built in our timeline.

The Jedi are trying to uncover forgotten knowledge from the neotikons. Some of that knowledge is just 300 years old. Yet - they were more powerful and advanced then than what they are now.

To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the entire "only the old is new" mindset of most of our entertainment media developers have these days. I'm having trouble remembering a movie, game or story where something was actually NEWLY invented that saved the day, rather than unearthed somehow from the ancient past.

I'm just glad that our real scientists have the ability to develop new technology out in the real world. Seriously, how many times can story writers abuse the, "it used to exist, we just forgot how to build/use/maintain it!" card.

Wingofbenu
01.03.2012 , 11:51 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
I believe there is a trope that defines this, but I have no time to search again for what it was called.

Nonetheless, nothing new is ever invented. Everything existed before and only needs to be rediscovered. As an example - the Infinite Empire and Rakata all had more advanced technology than what we have currently in our timeline for our characters. From the Consular storyline on Tython, those droids down in the bowels of those ruins had went without memory wipes and repairs for thousands of years. Far more progressed than what is currently built in our timeline.

The Jedi are trying to uncover forgotten knowledge from the neotikons. Some of that knowledge is just 300 years old. Yet - they were more powerful and advanced then than what they are now.

To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the entire "only the old is new" mindset of most of our entertainment media developers have these days. I'm having trouble remembering a movie, game or story where something was actually NEWLY invented that saved the day, rather than unearthed somehow from the ancient past.

I'm just glad that our real scientists have the ability to develop new technology out in the real world. Seriously, how many times can story writers abuse the, "it used to exist, we just forgot how to build/use/maintain it!" card.
You do realize that actually happens, right? A lot of technology was lost when Rome Fell apart because there was no longer the infrastructure needed to maintain it or train new experts,

Omnitheo
01.03.2012 , 11:53 AM | #8
The Old Republic takes place shortly after the Golden Age of the Republic. Everything that comes after is decline and stagnation, leading right up until the Empire.

Alstiar
01.03.2012 , 12:04 PM | #9
Remember that you're seeing things built in a digital age based around movies made in the 70s. They didn't have the technology to make a cloaking effect. Also the storyline is that those things were banned after the Sith were defeated. If you keep reading the books of the expanded universe, many of them make a comeback. Many new technologies are also developed in the expanded universe.

One inconsistency with the expanded universe is that in one book, a ship from the time period of The Old Republic comes to the future and a Jedi's lightsaber is powered by an external battery pack connected via a power cord. But that wouldn't look very cool in a video game and would nearly impossible to visualize. It's also a more recent book and its not like Bioware would change the game to stay perfectly in line with the books. Hell before the prequel movies were made, the expanded universe had already established who Luke and Leia's mother was. Then they kind of threw that out as a "well that's who they thought it was and were wrong" and "HEY LOOK! R2 has a holorecording of their birth!"

Raeln
01.03.2012 , 01:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wingofbenu View Post
You do realize that actually happens, right? A lot of technology was lost when Rome Fell apart because there was no longer the infrastructure needed to maintain it or train new experts,
In Star Wars / Final Fantasy / Wheel of Time / Lord of the Rings / Mass Effect / <insert a myriad of IPs here> - new technology seems to mostly be rediscovered old technology. There is very little brand new tech discovered. Wheel of Time is especially bad for this. Star Wars is getting pretty bad with so many things turning out to be exotech from the Rakata era [Infinite Empire].

I'll eat my hat if you can prove the ancient Romans were using nuclear reactors. Well, I'll have to buy a hat first.