Proton Torpedos?

on certain missions there are targets that cannot be destroyed by normal means IE bridges of capitol ships and the bottom of the space station, when you have your target reticle over that spot hold down "Right click" or whatever your missle fire keymap is and a new "homing in target will appear" charge it up and fire!

bonus quest comes up complete which makes no sense since bonus quests only give xp.. and at lvl 50 when you get proton torpedos you do not gain more xp...

on certain missions there are targets that cannot be destroyed by normal means IE bridges of capitol ships and the bottom of the space station, when you have your target reticle over that spot hold down "Right click" or whatever your missle fire keymap is and a new "homing in target will appear" charge it up and fire!

bonus quest comes up complete which makes no sense since bonus quests only give xp.. and at lvl 50 when you get proton torpedos you do not gain more xp...

i got the charge it up thing. and i even managed to fire once (game crashed after destroying the station). but i dont really get how to Fire after it's charged up. if you right click again it starts homing again.

could someone explain how it works?

The bonus missions give credits too. Not much (1-2K), but it adds up quickly. With proton torpedos you can easily do 2-3 bonus missions per main mission and get a bunch of cash out of it (10K+ in a few minutes is pretty nice IMO).

i got the charge it up thing. and i even managed to fire once (game crashed after destroying the station). but i dont really get how to Fire after it's charged up. if you right click again it starts homing again.

could someone explain how it works?

Just hold your crosshair steadily over the target and hold down the RMB. Release after a few seconds of continous locking and ... KA-BOOM.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Erethron

I just wanted to add that while Proton Trops do make it easier to kill those hard objectives, they can be destroyed with missiles and guns... For example the bottom of space stations and bridges can be taken out but they require many many hits.

Yep, I've done this a few times, yields a nice amount of bonus EXP.

I have a problem with the "Clouds of Vonduru" mission since equipping Proton torpedoes...while the item claims to give me 4 torpedoes i only get 3, and there are 4 shield generators which must be destroyed...not to mention the cap ship bridge for the bonus. Problem is, i can't launch missiles at the shield generators with proton torpedoes equipped, even if out of ammo...any way around this? Except unequipping them ofc...

The torpedos count the same way missles do. if you have the 150 missle rack ull see the count is only 146 because 4 are locked and loaded. same with the torpedo. 1 is in the chamber 3 standby. However i have had that same issue with missles working after torpedos are out.

They can be destroyed by blasters and missiles. LOTS of blasters and missiles. I always try to take out the bridge just for fun. But taking out the comm array on the space stations still crashes the game. (Until 1.0.2 apparently)

My main problem with proton torpedoes is that you can't fire regular missiles at shielded targets until you've exhausted your proton torpedo inventory.

Why would I waste a proton torpedo on a capital ship shield generator when I could blow it up with 3 regular missiles?

My main problem with proton torpedoes is that you can't fire regular missiles at shielded targets until you've exhausted your proton torpedo inventory.

Why would I waste a proton torpedo on a capital ship shield generator when I could blow it up with 3 regular missiles?

Yes you can. Holding down right mouse button cause the proton torpedo to lock on, but simply clicking right mouse button will still fire your missiles.

Yes you can. Holding down right mouse button cause the proton torpedo to lock on, but simply clicking right mouse button will still fire your missiles.

simply clicking the right mouse button for me if I have remaining proton torpedoes just causes the lockon animation to start briefly and then stop. No missiles are fired.

This may have changed in the last week or so, as I have just put them in my bank after using them the first day.