Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3rd party software in EULA

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NerfHerder
01.03.2012 , 05:15 AM | #1
According to the EULA:

"It is also strictly prohibited to use any third-party software or any other device with a view to modifying the Software in any way, intercepting or scanning Game traffic or communications, changing the way the Game plays or playing in an abnormal manner or in a way that could impair the correct operation of the Game. Such prohibited third party software or devices can include, but are not limited to, those in the nature of "addons", "hacks", "cheats", "trainers", "mods", or the like by any name. "

This is very specific as to what types of third party software is usable, or developable for that matter. I wanted to know what I am permitted to use and develop; namely, if i create an addon that modifies memory in such a way that DOES NOT monitor network packets, nor make the game playable in a way that is a "cheat," such as automated actions that are normal, would that be okay since that is not outlined in this clause in the EULA?

Thanks.
"Wah-Wah-Nah-Kahoooli-Rah!" --Anonymous Rodian

Yasutora
01.03.2012 , 05:22 AM | #2
I get the feeling from reading that - and please excuse me I'm not the most tech savvy person - that it means anything that interferes or changes the way the game client runs and works. So I think something that would change how it monitors packets and things would fall under that.

Leadlian
01.03.2012 , 05:23 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by NerfHerder View Post
This is very specific as to what types of third party software is usable, or developable for that matter. I wanted to know what I am permitted to use and develop; namely, if i create an addon that modifies memory in such a way that DOES NOT monitor network packets, nor make the game playable in a way that is a "cheat," such as automated actions that are normal, would that be okay since that is not outlined in this clause in the EULA?

Thanks.
Yeah, no. Creating automation software will probably get you permabanned just like it would with any other MMO.

This is pretty much covered by the "playing in an abnormal manner" part because using external software to play the game for you is pretty freakin' abnormal.

When they mean "playing in an abnormal manner," they're not talking about playing with your toes or upside down. They're talking about stuff like this.

joenewbie
08.25.2012 , 11:05 PM | #4
I just wish there was a program or system in place that would allow us to get lists of items in cargo bays and inventories and their mods etc... it's a pain to try to figure out what mod to put into what item to get the most optimal weapon/armor/ship/droid, mod/enhancement etc... it's a very complicated system, that's not a complaint though. I like that there is such detail in this game. It's a challenge other than just fighting and the storyline. Just wish there were tools ingame to make this process easier that's all.

And if that's my only pet peeve of the game, EA/Bioware/SWTOR is doing something very very right.

Sutii
08.25.2012 , 11:37 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings ,

It's great to hear that you are enjoying Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, and we do appreciate all suggestions on how to improve each aspect of the game. If you would like to see such a feature implemented in the game in the future, I would highly recommend that you head on over to our Suggestion Box and create a thread on the subject there.

Thank you for once again, if we can help with anything else please let us know.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support