Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to MMOs WHAT IS GOING ON

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
New to MMOs WHAT IS GOING ON

Brionus
12.13.2011 , 09:30 PM | #1
Okay. So as the title says, I'm new to MMOs. Kinda new to the whole forum-y thing too. I'm just one of those many people that loved bioware games and is now jumping onto a new scary experience. So I have some questions of the more experienced MMO..ers out there. But first a quick jab;

I am super amazed at how many arguments laid out today about how Bioware has ruined everything and that the world is over. Is this kind of griping common when you give everyone on the internet a metaphorical microphone? The e-mail always said that you will be let on according to when you redeemed your code. I redeemed my code like.. two days ago. So I'm assuming I won't be in for a while. But that's okay! My bad.

Anyways, my questions are... What are servers. :| Like.. If I go on a PVE server will I not be able to do PvP at all? Or is the server just more shifted for PVE people. And and and... Yeah. I think that's my only question now. I heard a rumor that if you want to play on a different server you have to pay? Is that true? Like say I got a character to whatever level on PVE server and wanted to see what those weirdos on the RP server were doing. Am I allowed to go over there or do I have to pay the toll? Thank you for reading all my garbage. Have a great day. Hope to see you in game one day. Maybe.

(dont get mad rpers i think u ar gr8)

Aerrus
12.13.2011 , 09:35 PM | #2
Hello! Welcome to MMOs I hope you don't lose your life too fast like the rest of us.

Yeah griping and whining is extremely common in MMOs and most forums in general so its something to get used to and eventually just becomes "whatever" after a while. Any money these people are all doing it because they are bored but when they get their access most of them will keep their mouths shut for a little bit before being bugged by something else.

To answer your questions about PVP and PVE servers. PVP servers have open world pvp, meaning a Sith is able to come to a Republic player's questing zone and kill innocent Jedi trying to quest. Usually open world pvp is turned off in starter areas. You can still PVP in PVE but it is more controlled where you have to queue up to do a battleground where its an organized fight not open world where anyone can jump you at any time.

Yes once you make a character on a server you have to pay to transfer servers so make sure you pick the server you want!

edit: Just because you pick a server doesnt mean you can not use the others it just means that you can not use the same character from server A on server B without transfering character.
You can make a new character on any server at any time if you want.

DarkCarnage
12.13.2011 , 09:38 PM | #3
if you go ona pve, you have to flag yourself or enter areas set up for pvp to kill players. a pvp server everyone in pvp no matter what lol.
Server: Shadow Hand ; Char: DarkCarnage SW
Guild: Hellions, i'm pretty easy to find, jsut follow the path of dead bodies, kocked up Sith ladies and crying Impiral soilders, bwhaahhaha.

xeeki
12.13.2011 , 09:39 PM | #4
If you want to transfer your existing character to a new server, it usually involves a fee, but you can always create a new character on that RP server free of charge.

Brionus
12.13.2011 , 09:39 PM | #5
Thank you very much for the timely and informative reply. Appreciate it

Meriki
12.13.2011 , 10:08 PM | #6
I would jump on a PVE server and get the feel for TOR and MMO's. Then when you hit 10 go do some PVP stuff and see if it is something you want to do full time. If it is, just switch servers. 10-20 levels is nothing to worry about and easily achieved on the new server.

If you go PVP, you might do some snooping for guilds too. It's nice it have friends for PVP.
DDMsRealm.com ~ Star Wars TOR Guides, videos, news, and information about Star Wars: The Old Republic.

NateEH
12.13.2011 , 10:18 PM | #7
Some advice, since you're new to MMO's, don't be afraid to ask a question in general chat. Just take a sec and see if anyone else just asked the same thing. There are lots of question-nazis...don't pay any attention to them...they're just nerd raging and need a nap. There's plenty of friendly helpful people out there.

Toxen
12.13.2011 , 10:21 PM | #8
Just ignore the whining and griping. Every MMO has it. In fact, anything with a forum is likely to have trolls.

Just remember, don't feed the trolls, and enjoy the game. Be nice on the forums and people will be nice to you (usually).
"Peace is a lie, there is only pancake."

Herbertllew
12.13.2011 , 10:24 PM | #9
Be polite, act like an adult, and don't be afraid to take it slow.

VanorDM
12.13.2011 , 10:51 PM | #10
Generally speaking, RP servers have more mature players then standard PvE or PvP do, this is by no means a hard and fast rule, just a general trend.

Also speaking generally, if you find someone who will answer your question in general chat, odds are if you send them a tell explaining that you're new to MMO's, they're likely to add you to their friend list and offer more help.