Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Day/Night Cycle

DecimaPoiuytr
01.02.2012 , 10:51 PM | #21
People say it saps the immersion but really how does having a static earth-based day/light cycle make any sense at all when you're traveling between planets with drastically different solar cycles, moons, planets with multiple suns, deep space, etc.

It's fine as it is I say; if anything a day/light cycle makes LESS sense.

Dalmasca
01.02.2012 , 10:52 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DecimaPoiuytr View Post
People say it saps the immersion but really how does having a static earth-based day/light cycle make any sense at all when you're traveling between planets with drastically different solar cycles, moons, planets with multiple suns, etc.

It's fine as it is I say.
I'm not saying they should all have the same cycle...at all. I'm saying they should each have one. There's no reason for them to be the same

Tarka
01.02.2012 , 10:54 PM | #23
People say it saps the immersion but really how does having a static earth-based day/light cycle make any sense at all when you're traveling between planets with drastically different solar cycles, moons, planets with multiple suns, etc.

It's fine as it is I say.
Well, apparently the HeroEngine can have different environment settings for each "zone". And Day/night cycles are part of those environment settings. You can apparently set up different day/night cycle durations for each "zone" as well. Meaning that a day/night cycle in one zone could be 24 hours long, whereas another could be only 2 hours long.

So, if we think of each planet in the game being a collection of zones, this infers that each planet could conceivably have a day/night cycle with a duration that is different to the others.

As for multiple suns, I've checked this before now, there are only 2 planets in the game with 2 suns. Tatooine and Balsavis. And you'll note that currently even though you see 2 suns on Tatooine, you only get one shadow. So that really isn't a big issue.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Kleinone
01.02.2012 , 10:55 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Not to mention:
  • Vanguard
  • AOC
  • Anarchy Online
  • SWG
  • WoW
  • FFIX (I believe)
Nice list sir. I forgot about Anarchy online and SWG. Didn't play any of the other ones.

But I think it makes a fair point.

Ogitrev
01.02.2012 , 10:55 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Dalmasca View Post
No crying whatsoever...You may have noticed I said I'm loving the game. Just remarking on something that would be enjoyable to see.
Dont worry about such comments man. Whenever someone tries to bring up anything remotely close to "I wish they had" or "It would be cool if" or "I want this in the game" type of threads someone/several people come in and call you a crybaby, whiner, WoW fanboy etc.

It seems anything constructive or things that us paying customers would like or would of liked to seen is met with negativety even if your preface that you like the game.

Tarka
01.02.2012 , 10:57 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleinone View Post
Nice list sir. I forgot about Anarchy online and SWG. Didn't play any of the other ones.

SWG had a nice little touch whereby atmospheric music played at sunrise and sunset. Which I thought was VERY cool.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Kourage
01.03.2012 , 09:30 AM | #27
Actually the tech to allow for day/night cycles is built into the HeroEngine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34MkAlBZp7c

I know that Bioware mumbled some excuses, but I don't believe that it would be "too much work" for one second. From the 45 levels I've seen, not one single scene relies on a particular time of day or night.

Other games seem to have cut-scenes and yet can allow for day/night cycles just fine.

Plus, the ability to allow for Day cycles are apparently built into the tech already.
Something about hand painted textures, I believe would cause issues.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Cordelia
01.03.2012 , 09:32 AM | #28
SWG had a nice little touch whereby atmospheric music played at sunrise and sunset. Which I thought was VERY cool.
Ah yes, sunset on Naboo with that music, forever etched into my memory

Day/night cycle is needed. The worlds seem stale and artificial without it, even though I love the artistic style Bioware has gone for. For once I would like to return to Coruscant and see this sprawling city planet lit up , or see a sunset/sunrise on Tatooine.

I know it isn't essential but It's all the little things that make a truly great MMO.

msales
01.03.2012 , 09:43 AM | #29
People say it saps the immersion but really how does having a static earth-based day/light cycle make any sense at all when you're traveling between planets with drastically different solar cycles, moons, planets with multiple suns, deep space, etc.

It's fine as it is I say; if anything a day/light cycle makes LESS sense.
Iím guessing youíre assuming that people want it implemented in the same way it was in WoW. I was assuming that it should be implemented the same way it was in SWG. SWG gave different planets different and much shorter day night cycles and personally I think it worked really well.

fugutaiten
01.03.2012 , 09:44 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleinone View Post

How about EVERQUEST ONE...

That game had a day night cycle and different mobs were present based on if it was day or night