Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Day/Night Cycle

Cranberries
01.02.2012 , 10:34 PM | #11
Day and night is usually a big plot point when you focus on a story.

^____^''

It's okay though! Of the $300 mil they had to make this game they spent $295 mil on voice acting and the rest of the game was made with bargain basement deals.

Vazorath
01.02.2012 , 10:37 PM | #12
If I recall correctly Bioware said they wanted it, but then changed their minds.

Kleinone
01.02.2012 , 10:40 PM | #13
Ya if I could change one thing to make the game more immersive, it would be to add day/night cycles. I just got used to them in other single player RP games/mmos and now I kinda miss em.

Shortwave
01.02.2012 , 10:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vazorath View Post
If I recall correctly Bioware said they wanted it, but then changed their minds.

Haha, see the post directly above yours, it meshes quite nicely with what you have said.

Tarka
01.02.2012 , 10:43 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
well I believe it will come in the future.

It will be very very hard though with the programming the huge worlds. It can be done. Will it? I believe in time it will patience
Actually the tech to allow for day/night cycles is built into the HeroEngine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34MkAlBZp7c

Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
It'd take too much work with the way they did the art & all that.
I know that Bioware mumbled some excuses, but I don't believe that it would be "too much work" for one second. From the 45 levels I've seen, not one single scene relies on a particular time of day or night.

Other games seem to have cut-scenes and yet can allow for day/night cycles just fine.

Plus, the ability to allow for Day cycles are apparently built into the tech already.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Jaick
01.02.2012 , 10:43 PM | #16
The only sunset that was going on star wars related was SWG.

Rikalonius
01.02.2012 , 10:45 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dalmasca View Post
I'm loving the game, but it's kind of annoying to not have a day/night cycle on the planets. It seems like something that should come standard with the game. I think seeing early morning coruscant would be awesome. As would watching the sun go down on Alderaan
Direct light sources look horrible and are recourse intensive. In order to have even a day and night, let alone dawn and dusk, you would have to at least double the size of the texture file to accomodate all the "night" textures, since all the rendering is done beforehand in what they call "baking" so that less rendering has to be done real time.

Tarka
01.02.2012 , 10:47 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
Direct light sources look horrible and are recourse intensive. In order to have even a day and night, let alone dawn and dusk, you would have to at least double the size of the texture file to accomodate all the "night" textures, since all the rendering is done beforehand in what they call "baking" so that less rendering has to be done real time.
You sound like you know a little about this stuff. Is that what is happening in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34MkAlBZp7c

Is the HeroEngine using different day and night textures in that video?
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Kleinone
01.02.2012 , 10:49 PM | #19
Ya a small dev house like EA/bioware wouldn't have those kinds of resources to implement stuff like that. That kind of stuff is reserved for massive dollar development project mmo's like Darkfall and Mortal online.

Tarka
01.02.2012 , 10:51 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleinone View Post
Ya a small dev house like EA wouldn't have those kinds of resources to implement stuff like that. That kind of stuff is reserved for massive dollar development project mmo's like Darkfall and Mortal online.
Not to mention:
  • Vanguard
  • AOC
  • Anarchy Online
  • SWG
  • WoW
  • FFIX (I believe)