Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Damage Meters

LordHackeZ
01.04.2012 , 11:12 AM | #21
Easy solution, you see the dmg above your head its sent over the NIC make a local layer between your game and the server and parse the data yourself.

Jessie-Lacey
01.04.2012 , 11:30 AM | #22
There's a simple solution. They don't need a real time meter like in WoW. Just use the PVP system of a battle report at the end of boss fights in operations. It would show you damage done and taken, plus healing done and taken. It's not a live meter that people stare at the entire time while they stand in aoe, and it would show you if someone isn't pulling their weight.

The best part is the system is in place already, it would just need to be utilized in operations as well as PVP.

Enginer
01.04.2012 , 11:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sehte View Post
All bosses on Heroic and Nightmare have enrage timers, yet you provide no combat log, or damage meters? How does a raid leader evaluate the raid? Has there been a response to this that I couldn't find or are they staying in the dark about this obvious miss?

Thanks.
I could not agree more, as someone who raid leads - this is by far my largest gripe.
Why people are quitting TOR at endgame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHIWClqr_o

Starting to think EALouse was spot on

Psycosiis
01.04.2012 , 11:52 AM | #24
Odds are bioware doesn't want to put in Combat logs atm because it will expose more bugs in boss fights.

Anyone a serious raider and make it to HM/NM Eternity Vault?

Well the first boss' single target rocket randomly decides when its going to bug and shot someone.

It's avoidable with a little luck (and/or dmg reduction CD) but for the most part it will shot someone through a Sorc Static barrier (which is probably close to 7k absorb)

In the end, I don't see them releasing a CBL for quite sometime. I mean it did take them close to a month to fix a bugged title....

Enginer
01.04.2012 , 11:55 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sehte View Post
In addition, no combat log makes it damn near impossible to find out what killed you...
I think we spend more time in raiding trying to figure out what killed us on NM then we do raiding!
Why people are quitting TOR at endgame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHIWClqr_o

Starting to think EALouse was spot on

punman
01.04.2012 , 12:30 PM | #26
Plain and simple, people who don't want meters are bad and don't want to be exposed. They are casuals. They don't care about maximizing their DPS, or heals, or threat. I mean, every single response in this thread (and others) that is against meters basically screams, "I'm terrible, don't invite me to your raid." Seriously.
Darth Fex Malignis
<Villains by Necessity>

Bondar Crystal
Sith Assassin

Cokeroft
01.04.2012 , 12:59 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessie-Lacey View Post
There's a simple solution. They don't need a real time meter like in WoW. Just use the PVP system of a battle report at the end of boss fights in operations. It would show you damage done and taken, plus healing done and taken. It's not a live meter that people stare at the entire time while they stand in aoe, and it would show you if someone isn't pulling their weight.

The best part is the system is in place already, it would just need to be utilized in operations as well as PVP.
That's not a solution to DMG Meters. What if the fight has adds and all the DPS is doing is AOEING when the raid needs to focus on the raid boss? What if a healer is just spamming heals on someone who is full the entire time? What abilities gave that person their most damage? Lowest? Median? How much uptime did they have on their dots? How DID the tank die?! I can do this all day.

hardicon
01.04.2012 , 12:59 PM | #28
no actually I want to maximize all that and be the best i can be at any given job. I just dont want a crutch to show me what to do and how to do it, id rather learn my class and learn how to play it rather than look at a excel spreadsheet at the end of every battle telling me what i did wrong or what could have been better.

although im not so much against a damage meter of any type, i can live with it, wont bother me if implemented but then again ive grown up some and realize a video game is just a video game and not worth getting upset over.

I am however totally against addons, the simple reason why is I got sick in wow of every time they did a new patch the addons wouldnt work for up to one day to 2 weeks. and every single guild i was in was unable to raid without their addons, they couldnt play without their crutches, hated patch days in wow because of this.

if they are gonna do a dps meter, i want it in game, not a third party crapon.

Crucias
01.04.2012 , 01:36 PM | #29
While DPS/HPS meters make it easier for a raid leader to find the weak link, it also leads to the persecution of those who are not as elite as the others. If the boss requires 10K DPS and the group has 15k DPS except one guy (who has 10k), that one guy usually gets ridiculed or replaced (Not counting tanks and healers here).

There is both an argument for and against these things.

That being said, the lack of a combat log is ridiculous. Especially when someone gets instakilled and we have no idea wth just happened
Crucias: Sith Inquisitor
FYI: I can't remove the Stupidity debuff, so I'll just sacrifice you to the gods of the loot roll dice.

caedjar
01.04.2012 , 01:43 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by hardicon View Post
well i would evaluate it like this. if you kill the boss before he enrages, you are doing enough dps. if you dont, then you are not doing enough dps.

if people die, then the healer either isnt good enough, or isnt geared enough.

if the tank cant hold aggro or cant survive no matter what the healer does, then the tank isnt good enough or isnt geared enough.

you dont need meters if you complete the challenge. if you dont complete it does it really matter, you either keep trying or you give up. never did think raiding was hard, just a timesink for raid leaders to keep up with everything but hard, no, raiding is easy, just do your job and it all goes well.
I'm sorry, but this just glazes over any issues and doesn't take into consideration any mechanics in the game.

"If you kill the boss before he enrages..."
-Some bosses enrage at a certain percentage no matter what...

"If people die, then the healer either isn't good enough, or isn't geared enough."
-This is what is wrong with not having a parser... Healers are responsible for taking care of the health of the raid, but that doesn't stop people from standing in cleaves, or standing in the fire, etc. Blaming the healer is exactly what happens when you don't have a way to evaluate what really happened. (This can be mitigated by having competent people paying attention to the mechanics of the group/operation; however, everyone should be focusing on killing the mobs/healing the raid, so its not exactly all that simple to have someone babysit everyone in the raid)

"never did think raiding was hard, just a timesink for raid leaders to keep up with everything but hard, no, raiding is easy, just do your job and it all goes well."
-Personally, I'm glad raiding is easy for you. Depending on other people to help you kill something that you can't kill on your own requires a lot of confidence in your peers. That said, there are good raiders and bad raiders, and all DPS/Heal parsers will do is to provide more information on how to improve your performance. The only people they hurt are people who don't want to improve their play style.