Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Damage Meters

Eerazer
01.02.2012 , 10:33 PM | #11
well this is new and original.

alex_xania
01.03.2012 , 04:07 AM | #12
I am playing wow for like 4 years.I couldnt stand doing the same things over and over again so i was really excited when swtor gone on air !
I am lvling an imperial agent atm but the only problem i have noticed that cannot help us improve our skill is the combat log and especially the dmg/healing meters.They are really improtant in a 4man or in a raid because they help the raid leaders to see who's slacking and not paying attention and for the rest of the raid to help them improve their dmg/heal.
Its a way to see what is the proper setup for the raids and the best way to progress.
So i think Game developers should consider it really seriously to put those meteres in the next patch

Sehte
01.03.2012 , 04:39 PM | #13
In addition, no combat log makes it damn near impossible to find out what killed you...

DarthHendo
01.03.2012 , 04:46 PM | #14
/signed in support of meters.

/mourn to all the baddies that are currently thinking they escaped to a game and wouldn't be found out...
Hend'o - Sorcerer Hen'do - Assassin He'ndo - Powertech

LIVE STREAM!

choppefett
01.03.2012 , 07:15 PM | #15
There are no good reasons to add damage meters and/or a combat log.

This is my response to the reasons I've heard so far.

1. Hitting enrage timers

If you hit an enrage timer and you're close, tell everyone to play harder. If your miles off, sub a healer and add an extra dps or come back when you've geared up.

2. Evaluating player performance

A bit of fight awareness from senior players will normally pick up anyone slacking off completely. I can't do it because I heal and am either looking at health bars or fight mechanics. Again, if you're close to an enrage, chances are no-one is slacking off and it's just a case of telling people to play harder.

3. Evaluating your own performance. Min/maxing.

I hate min/maxing as a concept but I know alot of people love it. If you're a min/maxer, chances are you've already analyzed the gameplay enough that your pretty close to what you'd be if you had a damage meter and a combat log.

4. What killed me? I need a combat log

My reply is you stood somewhere you shouldn't or an ability wasn't interrupted or you weren't healed. Simple fight awareness from yourself and others will fix it.

Now for the negatives and my reasons for not wanting damage meters or a combat log.

1. Min/maxing

Players that min/max inevitably drive the community into what should be done and what shouldn't. This is why we see forum posts from players asking "How should I spec?" "What rotation should I use?" I find it sad that people can't or won't work the game out for themselves and would rather be spoonfed by min/maxing game analysists. Being told how to play removes a hueg portion of fun from the game and it's not rocket science.

2. Fotm.

I see posts by players asking "Which class is the highest single target dps?" or "Which class is best for whatever type of healing?". Again, this is just sad. As soon a class appears highest on damage meters, players will flock to that class.

3. Combat log. Players asking for nerfs/buffs

A damage meter will expose the combat log. As soon as the combat log is exposed, we will see a thousand posts from players saying "I got hit for X from Y ability, it must be nerfed" or "Class X is higher than me on damage meters, please nerf them". I laugh at posts by players asking for nerfs and buffs when no-one has any data to back it up. Game balance should never be driven by the playerbase. It should be handled by BW.

Sehte
01.04.2012 , 10:13 AM | #16
[QUOTE=choppefett;1126212]There are no good reasons to add damage meters and/or a combat log.

This is my response to the reasons I've heard so far.

1. Hitting enrage timers

If you hit an enrage timer and you're close, tell everyone to play harder. If your miles off, sub a healer and add an extra dps or come back when you've geared up.[quote]

Really? Really?!? You haven't played hard or nightmare I'm guessing, or raided ever.
[QUOTE=choppefett;1126212]
2. Evaluating player performance

A bit of fight awareness from senior players will normally pick up anyone slacking off completely. I can't do it because I heal and am either looking at health bars or fight mechanics. Again, if you're close to an enrage, chances are no-one is slacking off and it's just a case of telling people to play harder. [quote]

Just a case of telling people to play harder eh? LOL
3. Evaluating your own performance. Min/maxing.

I hate min/maxing as a concept but I know alot of people love it. If you're a min/maxer, chances are you've already analyzed the gameplay enough that your pretty close to what you'd be if you had a damage meter and a combat log.
[quote]
How exactly have these minmaxers analyzed gameplay without a single tool to do so?
4. What killed me? I need a combat log

My reply is you stood somewhere you shouldn't or an ability wasn't interrupted or you weren't healed. Simple fight awareness from yourself and others will fix it.
[quote]
This game is very buggy, and no, standing in something is NOT the only answer. For example the hard mode Revan bug would be easier to figure out with a log, etc.

Zerathule
01.04.2012 , 10:27 AM | #17
No DPS meter means no way of knowing what spec, or skill rotation is best.
Sure, some people will argue "play how you like it". With such attitude, any kind of PVE content means it'll be impossible with bad specs, or trivial with good ones.
I dont get why people are afraid to be outed by a DPS meter as slackers ... if you are a good player, then you should be able to find out good specs/rotations and a DPS meter would help you improve by a small margin.
If you're an average player, and didnt find out a good spec/rotation, then a DPS meter will help you notice it, and point you towards a better way of playing.

I'm an average player, and i need to improve.

hardicon
01.04.2012 , 10:33 AM | #18
well i would evaluate it like this. if you kill the boss before he enrages, you are doing enough dps. if you dont, then you are not doing enough dps.

if people die, then the healer either isnt good enough, or isnt geared enough.

if the tank cant hold aggro or cant survive no matter what the healer does, then the tank isnt good enough or isnt geared enough.

you dont need meters if you complete the challenge. if you dont complete it does it really matter, you either keep trying or you give up. never did think raiding was hard, just a timesink for raid leaders to keep up with everything but hard, no, raiding is easy, just do your job and it all goes well.

pinkfreudHC
01.04.2012 , 10:53 AM | #19
A bit inaccurate, but for now go find yourself a mob with 10K health and have a buddy time how long it takes you to kill it.

TheSkate
01.04.2012 , 10:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by hardicon View Post
well i would evaluate it like this. if you kill the boss before he enrages, you are doing enough dps. if you dont, then you are not doing enough dps.

if people die, then the healer either isnt good enough, or isnt geared enough.

if the tank cant hold aggro or cant survive no matter what the healer does, then the tank isnt good enough or isnt geared enough.

you dont need meters if you complete the challenge. if you dont complete it does it really matter, you either keep trying or you give up. never did think raiding was hard, just a timesink for raid leaders to keep up with everything but hard, no, raiding is easy, just do your job and it all goes well.
Thank you very much. Well phrased, plainly spoken, excellent post.