Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operative Concealment Spec/Rotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Operative Concealment Spec/Rotation?

Jokeq
01.02.2012 , 07:16 PM | #1
Any link to a typical Operative Concealment Spec?

What is typical pve and pvp (if different) ability rotation for spec?

raelimar
01.02.2012 , 07:28 PM | #2
Hidden Strike

That's it, your target is dead.

In all seriousness.

Prep Acid Blade from stealth
Hidden Strike
Backstab
Lacerate
Shiv
Lacerate

Rinse and repeat with the Backstab-->Shiv-->Lacerate combo, watching for extra Lacerate/Collateral Strike procs. Mix in Acid Blade to keep the armor pen from your backstabs up...if Backstab and Shiv are both on cooldown and you don't have Tactical Advantage up, use Overload Shot as a filler, or take a knee and pop Explosive Probe (does about 2K+), then go back to the stabbing.

ggardner
01.02.2012 , 09:23 PM | #3
I typically go

Acid Blade
Hidden Strike
Backstab
Shiv
Stim Boost
Lacerate
"Lacerate again if it pops"

Then repeat with

Acid Blade -> Backstab -> Shiv -> Lacerate

thecoffeecup
01.02.2012 , 09:46 PM | #4
I am admittedly not at a particularly high level. But this is what I have gathered so far. It's not a rotation (I *hate* rotations) but just a list of rules that I've gathered from different guides and from my own experiences with the game.

1. You should keep up Tactical Advantage. This is pretty much why Shiv is useful.
2. You should keep up Stim Boost. Refresh it ASAP after it runs out.
3. You should keep your silver+ target poisoned with Corrosive Dart.
4. You should keep up your armor penetration buff from Acid Blade. Of course Acid Blade is also awesome for DPS.
5. Lacerate is great. But it will only (when fully talented) refresh TA 50% of the time. This means you can sometimes use it more, and sometimes not so much. Again this shows that you cannot have a specific rotation.
5. Most importantly: Your energy regen should be maxed at all times, but your energy should never be at 100. Only go to low energy levels if you're going to use Adrenaline Probe. You will have to mix in your free attack to make sure your energy regen stays maxed.

You will notice that this list of rules leaves you with plenty to do. At my level, I sometimes have to use Overload Shot because my energy is too high, but I'm not sure this will always be the case. It may seem like a long list, but having personally played a feral druid in WoW when the "rotation" (priority list) was at its worst, I think this is actually pretty forgiving without being completely boring.

Keep in mind, I know this is not a professional guide. But I think it's pretty accurate.

bathrobe
01.02.2012 , 10:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by raelimar View Post
Hidden Strike

That's it, your target is dead.

In all seriousness.

Prep Acid Blade from stealth
Hidden Strike
Backstab
I disagree. Going straight into shiv and laceration after hidden strike to allow your Acid Blade to tick. I never backstab till I've fired off at least 2 lacerations, that way you get a full 11-12 seconds of the Acid Blade dot.

Trosli
01.16.2012 , 10:23 AM | #6
Lvl 44 here.

I've tried both

1. Acid Blade
2. Hidden Strike
3. Backstab
4. Lacerate
5. Shiv
6. Lacerate

and the same

1. Acid Blade
2. Hidden Strike
3. Lacerate
4. Lacerate
5. Backstab
6. Shiv

This issue for me is that I don't want to risk the chance of getting CC'd by friends (or even my target) before I hit with backstab. Even when successful, the 2nd routine didn't seem to do much better. Even so, how does that setup allow more Acid Blade ticks?

Xontier
01.16.2012 , 10:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by bathrobe View Post
I disagree. Going straight into shiv and laceration after hidden strike to allow your Acid Blade to tick. I never backstab till I've fired off at least 2 lacerations, that way you get a full 11-12 seconds of the Acid Blade dot.
I don't see how this is more beneficial. We pay no cost for Backstab so that's not the issue.

Also, you get pretty much the same ticks. I'll keep a running tally of how long Acid Blade has been up with using Backstab at the beginning of a fight.

Hidden Strike (adds Acid Blade) 0 Seconds
Backstab 1.5
Shiv 3.0
Lacerate 4.5
Overload Shot OR Lacerate if Collacteral Procs 6.0
Shiv 7.5
Lacerate 9.0
Backstab 10.5

By the time Backstab is off cooldown again, you've had a minimum of 10.5 seconds of Acid Blade ticking away. This does not count positioning issues if your target is running around.

If we take off the first backstab, Acid Blade would have only ticked for 9.0 Seconds by the time you used Backstab (provided you did not get the Collateral Strikes proc)

Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't see how the missing damage from a completely free (ignoring GCD) Backstab is beneficial in anyway if you don't use it after HS.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

Masahiko
01.16.2012 , 11:20 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Xontier View Post
I don't see how this is more beneficial. We pay no cost for Backstab so that's not the issue.

Also, you get pretty much the same ticks. I'll keep a running tally of how long Acid Blade has been up with using Backstab at the beginning of a fight.

Hidden Strike (adds Acid Blade) 0 Seconds
Backstab 1.5
Shiv 3.0
Lacerate 4.5
Overload Shot OR Lacerate if Collacteral Procs 6.0
Shiv 7.5
Lacerate 9.0
Backstab 10.5

By the time Backstab is off cooldown again, you've had a minimum of 10.5 seconds of Acid Blade ticking away. This does not count positioning issues if your target is running around.

If we take off the first backstab, Acid Blade would have only ticked for 9.0 Seconds by the time you used Backstab (provided you did not get the Collateral Strikes proc)

Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't see how the missing damage from a completely free (ignoring GCD) Backstab is beneficial in anyway if you don't use it after HS.
Acid blade dot damage is 6 sec. The buff it self last longer. The only time it clips is the first tick since shiv will give you 2 stacks TA increasing damage (not by much) but thats when i BS -> Stim -> Lacerate
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.

Sun-tzu, The Art of War

Xontier
01.16.2012 , 11:23 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
Acid blade dot damage is 6 sec. The buff it self last longer. The only time it clips is the first tick since shiv will give you 2 stacks TA increasing damage (not by much) but thats when i BS -> Stim -> Lacerate
Holy crap are you serious? All this time I've been thinking it was a 15 second dot.

My god, this literally changes everything.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

Zerikin_Loukbel
01.16.2012 , 12:03 PM | #10
Sometimes I like to save my BS and just go hs->shiv>lacerates until I run of of TAs. By then the acid blade dot is done. If my target is dead I can use a acid bs on another target if I am unable to stealth again or on my target if they are not dead. Either way its a good idea to use shiv early to start the cd so you can shiv again.