Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Didn't receive mail on re-rolled character

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Didn't receive mail on re-rolled character
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Phrumps's Avatar


Phrumps
01.04.2012 , 07:36 AM | #11
Didn't you know? There's a WAR going on!


In all seriousness though, I stopped sending myself stuff via mail after the first day of early access. Sad to see it STILL isn't fixed. (You will probably ask, and no, I never recovered what was lost. Just got 4 automated messages...)

XxGudgeXx's Avatar


XxGudgeXx
01.04.2012 , 03:03 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessicayla View Post
Let us know what happens - my boyfriend made a new character after he deleted one with the same name. I sent all of his credits from the previous deleted character and tons of crafting materials to him about 20 hours ago in the mail and he hasn't received any of it. We both opened tickets but I just expect an automated response, like all of my other tickets.
So far no response and my ticket has been open for about 3 days, I doubt i'll even get to talk to a GM let alone receive my mail.

baskynn's Avatar


baskynn
01.04.2012 , 03:48 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreson View Post
Well, I'm at odds with this policy of 'hey, I got a superduper high level character here, I'm now going to shift stuff down to the new character I just made thereby making him the 'bestest' superduper low level character ever'

Why not enjoy what you are getting in those first 10, 20 level and then, if you really feel you need the help, then start shifting?

Because what people seem to forget is that you are creating a huge can of worms whenever you create a character with the name of a recently deleted character on the same server!

What if that character was deleted by accident (yes, it apparently does happen, even to pros!) and the player wants it back?

Which character is then going to be given the rights to the name, the one that was deleted by accident or the one that was created when the name was available again?

Some MMOs actually never 'free' a name once taken on a server, so 'Joe' may never become available again despite 'Joe' only having been played for 1 hr 6 years ago...

Best suggestion I could make, and I assume that would cut down on these lost transfers to newly created characters with 2nd hand names is wait a week or 2 before you do your transfer...

everything else is at your own risk...



why are you talking about character names?
to your thing about giving your new character items, you give them credits for skills/items etc. You give them the vehicles so you have one as soon as it's available. you give them the gear to level faster. if you're rerolling you've prob already done most of the planets unless you're doing another faction.

Goreson's Avatar


Goreson
01.04.2012 , 06:22 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by baskynn View Post
why are you talking about character names?
to your thing about giving your new character items, you give them credits for skills/items etc. You give them the vehicles so you have one as soon as it's available. you give them the gear to level faster. if you're rerolling you've prob already done most of the planets unless you're doing another faction.
Why am I talking about character names?

Did you actually read the OP's posting?

He had a BH called Lurka.

He deleted said Lurka and created a new IA called Lurka.

He then mailed Lurka stuff via another character.

Have you ever wondered how characters are identified on a server?

Is it via character 'Joe' being flagged as 'Joe ********'s character No 1'? (Obviously Joe ******** is the player...)

So you can have one 'Joe' character for Joe ********, one 'Joe' for Billy Turdnerd, one 'Joe' for Carl Fartfly, etc., all on the same server?

I don't think so!

It's the name that makes each character unique.

Which to me means that IF you decide to mail something to a character of a name that had been used before, let's call him 'Joe', the system may have issues as potentially part of the database wasn't cleared yet and that old 'Joe' is still listed there while at the same time the new 'Joe' is already active.

That's why I'm saying give it a few days before you mail something to your new character, maybe even just a small amount as a test, if that works: great, go powergaming!

(Boy, am I glad that I'm playing the game for the sake of enjoying it, taking my time going thru the stories, the different planets, and yes, to stop and small the roses... )

Voison's Avatar


Voison
01.04.2012 , 06:27 PM | #15
Having the same issue, lost over 50k+ Credits and items also.

Still no reply from CS, why am I paying for this game again?
Voison (voi-zen)
Sith - Inquisitor (Sorcerer - Corruption)
Guild: vVv Gaming - Rank: Officer - Server: Helm of Graush
vVv Gaming Website - Join vVv Gaming!

XxGudgeXx's Avatar


XxGudgeXx
01.04.2012 , 09:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreson View Post
Well, I'm at odds with this policy of 'hey, I got a superduper high level character here, I'm now going to shift stuff down to the new character I just made thereby making him the 'bestest' superduper low level character ever'

Why not enjoy what you are getting in those first 10, 20 level and then, if you really feel you need the help, then start shifting?

Because what people seem to forget is that you are creating a huge can of worms whenever you create a character with the name of a recently deleted character on the same server!

What if that character was deleted by accident (yes, it apparently does happen, even to pros!) and the player wants it back?

Which character is then going to be given the rights to the name, the one that was deleted by accident or the one that was created when the name was available again?

Some MMOs actually never 'free' a name once taken on a server, so 'Joe' may never become available again despite 'Joe' only having been played for 1 hr 6 years ago...

Best suggestion I could make, and I assume that would cut down on these lost transfers to newly created characters with 2nd hand names is wait a week or 2 before you do your transfer...

everything else is at your own risk...
Well as for "superduper high level character" my assassin is only level 35 and the reason i shifted stuff down to the new character i just made wasn't to make him the "'bestest' superduper low level character ever" but due to him becoming my new main, it being very convenient at the time with both my chars being at mail box's and to allow me to expand his inventory.

Now as for your argument with trying to place the blame on us for re-rolling a character with the same name on the same server is rather ridiculous. On no other MMO has this been an issue and Bioware didn't bring the mailing system bugs to the public's attention and it isn't until it happens to you do you find out about it. In fact i received my Digital Deluxe and Pre order items in the mail so there was no indication i wouldn't receive my mail from my other character. The fact that you try to place the blame on us instead of Bioware where it belongs is basically what a fan boy does, this game has serious issues and was in no state to be released the amount of bugs, performance issues, graphical issues it has makes a Bethesda game looked polished in comparison. Not to mention the customer support is the worst I've ever experienced, it feels like when you make a ticket it goes into a big trash folder where a week later you'll get an automated response...

In its current state SWTOR is going the same way as every other MMO we've seen released over the past few years, Bioware needs to realize you can't release a broken game, treat your customers like crap and expect them to pay a subscription each month when there are several better alternatives available.

lenonk's Avatar


lenonk
01.05.2012 , 12:20 PM | #17
Same issue here. I lost a bunch of stuff and Bioware doesn't give a crap. I keep getting the "Tough luck, but hey, it'll be fixed in the next patch" response. This is, of course, totally unacceptable. This game will fail, and will deserve to fail, if they don't start living up to Blizzard's standard of customer service. Also, don't start with the WoW fanboy crap. I despise WoW. I think it's been completely ruined since the release of LK. But the fact remains, they have good customer service.

Clearly they have a responsibility to retrieve our lost credits and items.

And don't worry about Goreson, he's obviously either a troll, an idiot, a Bioware fanboy, or one of those people that thinks since he hasn't been affected by the issue, it must be your fault.

Peace

EDIT: Sorry for the flame Goreson. I'm just really frustrated by this issue and by Bioware's customer support, and your implication that we somehow did something wrong to cause this rubbed me the wrong way.

EDIT2: What I really meant to say to you, Goreson, is as follows. Your implication that we're somehow trying to game the system and create super powerful lowbies is not only insulting, but also non-factual. I had a level 20 something Jedi Knight. She was Twi'lek, and her look really started annoying me, especially since hoods on robes don't work on Twi'lek. Also, I made her DPS and decided that I really wanted a tank. Now, some of us are attached to the names that we normally use. One of the first things I did was make 8 characters on my server to reserve the names that I wanted. That being the case, I wanted to reuse my name. Sacrificing all of the credits and crafting materials I had gained up to that point, though it wasn't much, would be stupid. There's no reason for it. So I handed the stuff off to my wife and had her mail it to me. I never received it.

This is in NO WAY my fault. I did something normal and mundane that should just work. Before you argue with me, know that I'm a software engineer.

To answer your previous question, the way you solve the issue is have a character identified internally by a 32 bit number called a character id. You then build a hash table with that unique character ID as the key, and the data contained at that entry will be a pointer to the current character data. The unique IDs are what you keep around forever, not the actual character name. That way, when a naming conflict arises, you can always uniquely identify a character by their ID. I'm sure the Bioware guys know this. So, if someone deletes their character subsequently losing their name, that's too bad. Your character can be retrieved, but you'll have to choose a new name. You deleted your character, albeit on accident. That's YOUR fault. That's not a bug.

Bah, I'm getting mad just talking about it...

Goreson's Avatar


Goreson
01.05.2012 , 01:03 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by XxGudgeXx View Post
Well as for "superduper high level character" my assassin is only level 35 and the reason i shifted stuff down to the new character i just made wasn't to make him the "'bestest' superduper low level character ever" but due to him becoming my new main, it being very convenient at the time with both my chars being at mail box's and to allow me to expand his inventory.

Now as for your argument with trying to place the blame on us for re-rolling a character with the same name on the same server is rather ridiculous. On no other MMO has this been an issue and Bioware didn't bring the mailing system bugs to the public's attention and it isn't until it happens to you do you find out about it. In fact i received my Digital Deluxe and Pre order items in the mail so there was no indication i wouldn't receive my mail from my other character. The fact that you try to place the blame on us instead of Bioware where it belongs is basically what a fan boy does, this game has serious issues and was in no state to be released the amount of bugs, performance issues, graphical issues it has makes a Bethesda game looked polished in comparison. Not to mention the customer support is the worst I've ever experienced, it feels like when you make a ticket it goes into a big trash folder where a week later you'll get an automated response...

In its current state SWTOR is going the same way as every other MMO we've seen released over the past few years, Bioware needs to realize you can't release a broken game, treat your customers like crap and expect them to pay a subscription each month when there are several better alternatives available.
Right, of course it is your 'right' to transfer items from one character to the other.

And if you think you (read: somebody!) need to have 490K on your level 1 guy, well, to each their own...

But why not wait until your guy is level 20? Or are you collecting top armor/weapons for level 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 etc. in your cargo hold?

If not, well, then I assume you are using the credits to buy your guy the best armor/weapon possible... though - aside from the fact that my lowest level character is a level 23 smuggler and he has not bought a single weapon or armor or had either transferred from any other of my characters - I don't quite see why a level 10 character would need more than a few 100 credits for equipment (and abilities!)?

Anyways, yes, maybe the transfer thing is overall bugged (which I can't confirm!), then obviously it should be fixed (eventually)...

But what is it with this name obsession?

'I made a character, I gave him my favorite name, now I don't like him anymore, I want him deleted and my name available to me again!'

Guess what: there are gamers out there who are faster than you in picking that one name you like oh so much!

Are you going to complain to CS about that?

Guess what: there are games where names are never released again once a character had been created with this name despite the character having been deleted!

Be happy that SWTOR does offer that chance.

So, if you feel the need to 're-roll' your character (which actually is the completely wrong concept: you delete a character and you create a new one! 'Re-rolling' would in my book go a bit more along the lines of a complete reset of the character down to bought abilities and picked skills. But hey, that's just me...) for fart sake do so, but why not have a character with a different name as your 'main'? You want to guess how many names I have used in just over 10 years of MMOing? Definitely more than 1 for my 'main' characters.

Also, always be careful what you are doing with your 'valuables' in game, a simple typo may cost you dearly.

So yes, I do blame you guys for taking something granted in an MMO!

You could have tested! Just transferring 100 credits will neither kill anyone if it's lost. And if everything works out fine, well, as I said before I don't see the reason why a low level character needs to have the big money. Rather you could have transferred money on a needs be basis with some 10K to allow him to get his speeder license for example...

Quote: Originally Posted by lenonk View Post
And don't worry about Goreson, he's obviously either a troll, an idiot, a Bioware fanboy, or one of those people that thinks since he hasn't been affected by the issue, it must be your fault.

Peace
EDIT: Sorry for the flame Goreson. I'm just really frustrated by this issue and by Bioware's customer support, and your implication that we somehow did something wrong to cause this rubbed me the wrong way.
Lenonk,

I do understand your frustration!

We all find things in SWTOR that we think are failing. The question is just how are we dealing with them!

If overall your experience with SWTOR is that bad, cancel your subscription and tell BW why. In detail!

And then potentially have another look at SWTOR 6 months down the line when the first trial or returner option is released.

If on the other hand you are still having fun (of sorts) with the game, forget about CS!

I don't know what you lost (and I don't want to know!) but one of the posters here said he lost 30K, another 50+...

Playing the already mentioned L23 smuggler I have taken him back up from 15K to 40K today in less than 5 hrs gaming including a number of Slicing and Salvaging missions done by 1 of my crew with no salvage items having been sold and a mix of augmentation and lock-boxes on the Slicing end, again, with only the lock-boxes having been turned into credits. Plus obviously a mix of quests...

So why foam over some in-game money for days without end if you could just relaxing into making it (and more) again?

But hey, maybe it's just because I'm something that you forgot to put in your list: a rather relaxed gamer who is in it for the fun!

Mlledisdain's Avatar


Mlledisdain
01.05.2012 , 01:13 PM | #19
This happens on new alts, not just on re-rolls using the same name. There seems to be no pattern to it either.

After losing many credits and items, I now send a test mail to new alts. I believe in being self-sufficient in games so I roll alts for crafting. Until this mail situation is clarified I won't be doing that.

I have a strange feeling that some programming corners were cut in this area and log files do not exist for mailed items. This was reinforced by the CS response I received that stated that credits were lost and I needed to have exact names of items, where and how they were obtained, dates and times when they were mailed , etc.

lord_of_aces's Avatar


lord_of_aces
01.05.2012 , 01:14 PM | #20
A friend of mine, the other night, told me that he sent me a couple purple items via in game mail that I could use on my Bounty Hunter. Those items never got to me. Perhaps this is the reason why.

It's not that big a deal for either of us, but in the future, I'll make sure he knows to just look for me in game and run a trade, as opposed to using the in-game mail system, since this seems to be buggy.

To the OP, that's an awfully harsh way to lose your stuff, and I sincerely hope a customer service rep can get those items back for you!