Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What about tank aggro

Gizmo
01.02.2012 , 10:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by silkforcalde View Post
My first MMO tank was a warrior tank in the late days of vanilla / early days of TBC World of Warcraft.

Know how many AOE tanking abilities we had? A big fat ZERO. We had NONE. And we were still the best tanks, the only tanks.

Tab-spam, don't ever leave me.
CE VIP]i▀▀▀ii‾δ]P]|Ξ██████████████████████████████████████████)

Royalwarden
01.02.2012 , 10:57 PM | #22
lvl 50 juggernaut here no problems with aggro hold tbh requires skill yes but it isn't to bad to loose a mob every now and then most people in the group can take a few hits and you pull em off em simple as that youll get more aoe skills and threat gain when you get higher

smirremiro
01.02.2012 , 11:52 PM | #23
IMO its all about skill and tactics. I group with 4 friends allmost all the time and aggroing 3+3+1+1+1=9 enemies only to attack me is basic, if there is more than that then aoe taunt is needed and in best case its 12 mobs more. So i can keep aggro of 21 enemies so i dont see any point in buffing anything.

Hole point for tank is to jump in, sweep etc all enemies before other part of group attacks anyone, then 2 dps should focus SAME AGGROED mob from left to right or right to left, healer throws heal and then join dpsing with 2 other. More stronger the mob, more later it will be nuked. If aggroing fails, i have noticed that its commonly dps:s or healers fault for tarketing wrong enemies or attacking before tank engages.

Besically im trying to say that if tank is retard, others focus their own targets and soloing whatever there is, it all comes to conclusion that mobs aggro is f'd up.

Oh and Jedi guardians should allways use ability: guard on healer as it lesses the aggro created by healer.

Its all about skill of your hole group and its EVERY individual.
Proud owner of Collectors Edition

"I will not leave you here. I have to save you." -Luke
"You already have, Luke." -Darth Vader

Arconee
01.03.2012 , 12:01 AM | #24
Yeah i completely agree lets make it like wow that all you need to do as a tank is charge, rend, thunderclap go afk for abit and let auto attack hold threat....

Or we could leave it the way it is and make tanks actually work for threat and dps actually use thier brain...

PureSithWarrior
01.03.2012 , 12:26 AM | #25
I have a lvl 41 Juggernaut tank right now on the Nadd PvP server. At first, I was very frustrated with the lack of a 'cleave' skill early on and little to no AoE threat generating skills until you get into the higher tiers of the Juggernaut tanking tree.
A primary reason for my aggravation was from my experience of being a successful Warrior tank in end-game raiding where you can charge in, set up armor debuffs (quickly) and pretty much spam AoE high-threat generating abilities with little to no consequence to your rage pool. Just stand there and cycle through a few skills and occasionally have to run out and pick up a runner from time to time, but it was extremely easy to get threat back.
That was EZ-Mode tanking and I was unaware of this at the time.
The other day, I was lvl 37 and got invited to tank a Foundry run with a 46 and a 47 friend of mine so that they could see the amazing story in there. I was a little apprehensive going into it because of the seemingly broken threat gen and the fact that they would be producing quite a bit more threat than I was normally used to contending with.
It went smoothly.
I did notice on more than one occasion that the normal strain of tanking with a Juggernaut seemed a bit enhanced, but my trick was to mark a target for FF and to keep moving and marking. It's amazing how much marking a target and constantly moving (not just TAB-targeting) will make you a more successful tank. Mark, charge, AoE, single-target threat, TAB, charge second AoE/Stun/Interrupt, back to marked, remark second target, charge, single-target high-threat ability...wash rinse and repeat.
I think the BH in my group pulled off me a couple times while doing the second boss fight (no spoilers as to whom that may be) but overall it was a very fun and tiring run.
Tanking in SWtOR is exhausting right now, but rewarding. It seems that the FPs are very generous with tank drops, so you do have that going for you.
Remember this:
Move
Mark
Move some more
always have high-threat abilities on CD
be smart with AoE taunts
don't be afraid to ask for a couple seconds to establish aggro
keep moving
get used to keybinds if you don't use them already
practice practice practice

We all get stuck standing there from time to time with no rage/other resource as well. Times like that, you have a split second to get it back. Learn a 'rotation' that can sustain itself of a 1/2 rage bar and keep that replenishing and only use your big GIMME MY RAGE NOW skill when you need to pull some magic out of your ***.
'Oh-****' buttons are just that - reserves! Keep those as far away from your standard rotation/skill set as you can. I myself throw those on my Alt-binds to keep them on the other side of my ctrl-binds and shift-binds so I don't accidentally use them.
Those will save you. You have some trouble getting aggro off a trigger-happy DPS who doesn't know to run towards the tank when he pulls aggro, use them. The healer is over-healing you a bit too much, use them. DPS got overhealed and boss is about to make a grease spot out of you, use them. Not only will they give you a couple secs to re-orient yourself, they will put you in a position to be able to generate a nice surge of threat normally or give you that invincible edge when it's you and a DPS shaving that last 2% of life off a boss.
Fun time...
Anyhow, take it for what it is. This is not the MMO that most of us have grown accustomed to tanking. You actually have to play your tank to be successful right now in SWtOR.

I hope I didn't ramble, but I sure do enjoy tanking Heroics and Flashpoints; and I seriously hope that anyone having troubles right now will look at it for what it is and be willing to relearn tanking all together.

See you in-game!

PureSithWarrior
01.03.2012 , 12:42 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Cashprizes View Post
...and get cc'ed off the bat, which alot of elites in groups open up with, it is near impossible to get control of the pull. These enemies that cc should either be balanced to not use it right off the bat,
I totally forgot that in my little expose on tanking! That is really aggravating....especially if there's a turret or two in the pull! I understand a quick recovery from movement-impairing effects at the outset of a pull, but every couple seconds when my interrupt take 2x as long as their knockbacks do to cooldown...c'mon!

Archimedez
01.03.2012 , 03:32 AM | #27
I like to support the demand for more threat.

I am playing flashpoints at level 50 and I have trouble keeping aggro on all elites and strong around.

The thing is, I need all my dps abilities to hold aggro on the primary target if a commando with good gear is burning it down.

If I switch to the other 2-3 elite targets to keep the aggro off the healer,
the commando will take over aggro.

I use an epic level 50 barrel mod and got mixed blue and epic mod gear atm.

Ironspeed
01.03.2012 , 03:45 AM | #28
Jedi shadow here, currently level 24 (one bar to 25), dont really use taunt much, but here is how it usualy goes..

if needed I mark two for cc (if we can cc two), mark first kill, if possible I get a aoe out (typicaly force breach if it dosent break cc) and then hammer loose on my main target, refreshing FB when needed if possible).

So far this is all thats really been needed, when it comes to bosses Shadow tanking seems pretty good to me
The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
-Marcel Proust

Espetado
01.03.2012 , 03:54 AM | #29
I play a Vanguard and so far i only had problem whit agro once, and that was because I was doing Mandalorian raiders at lvl 25 whit a lvl 38 Shadow, obviously I clud not keep agro from him
Now, there are 3 tanks per side, but, most people spec those tanks as DPS, or use DPS buffs wile tanking, if they do that, they wont keep agro no matter what.
Also healer agro is easy to prevent, every tank have a 25% agro reduction buff.

Silverspar
01.03.2012 , 04:05 AM | #30
I've had no issue with threat or tanking. I think people are just too use to faceroll mode from WoW where all you need a bobble bird to maintain threat for you. All tanks have several high threat moves, including taunts. Shadows get the ability to convert one of their mainstay attacks into a high threat move, I know Guardians also get several high threat attack moves, and I am sure that Vanguards get a couple of high threat moves to.

I've tanked with both my shadow and guardian and I've never had issue with threat. Ontop of that, many enemies tend to wipe their threat, especially several boss types. People expecting tank and spank fights were just setting themselves up, and it's nice and refreshing to see that CC and intelligent pulls actually matter again instead of the faceroll groups that would fail in any other situation.

People need to untrain themselves from WoW where they have this insanely silly notion that using their CDs and such is just wrong.