Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars technology

Yirkin
01.02.2012 , 03:55 PM | #1
I know it is a Star Wars thing but how come in the 3000+ years between the Old Republic and the New Republic, the technology hardly changed or improved at all?

3500 years is a long time if you think about Moore's Law.

reaperkeepet
01.02.2012 , 04:00 PM | #2
Both styles and some technology have changed. It's just that you have to look at 2 pictures side by side. But I can tell you that the tech has indeed changed IMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth Baras
The cake is a lie, there is only pie, through pie I gain calories, through calories I gain fat, through fat my belt is broken, the recliner shal free me...

Wolfninjajedi
01.02.2012 , 04:06 PM | #3
Tech has changed a lot, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced and accurate same with droids especially astromechs.

War technology has changed drastically, you put an Old Republic Fleet up against a single Venator, Star destroyer, or Mon Calamari captial ship the Old Republic Fleet is destroyed.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

reaperkeepet
01.02.2012 , 04:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Tech has changed a lot, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced and accurate same with droids especially astromechs.

War technology has changed drastically, you put an Old Republic Fleet up against a single Venator, Star destroyer, or Mon Calamari captial ship the Old Republic Fleet is destroyed.
Yes I must agree that droids would be the biggest thing. Like instead of "How may I serve you?" you get "Ya wanna cup of jo with that?!" And speeders/vehicles have changed much also.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth Baras
The cake is a lie, there is only pie, through pie I gain calories, through calories I gain fat, through fat my belt is broken, the recliner shal free me...

jarjarloves
01.02.2012 , 05:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Yirkin View Post
I know it is a Star Wars thing but how come in the 3000+ years between the Old Republic and the New Republic, the technology hardly changed or improved at all?

3500 years is a long time if you think about Moore's Law.
the real reason is that we want to play in the star wars universe without being confined to the rules and events of the 6 movies and the EU that is around that time.

Having the Old Republic take place 3,000 years before allows the writers and us to experience the Star Wars universe without having to deal with story constraints.

In reality no civilization could go 3,000 years with out so little change. (Unless everyone was immortal because that would basically stop all progression of a society. )

Lolliipopp
01.02.2012 , 08:39 PM | #6
Droids just seem more advanced in the TOR era...
| i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz | NH-D14 | P67 Sabertooth | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu | GTX 560ti | 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD in RAID 0 | BitFenix Shinobi | ASUS Xonar Essence One DAC | Prodipe Pro5 |

Wolfninjajedi
01.02.2012 , 08:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lolliipopp View Post
Droids just seem more advanced in the TOR era...
Ya they "seem" more advanced, that doesn't mean they are more advanced then the Clone Wars and GCW eras.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Rivix
01.02.2012 , 08:54 PM | #8
Perhaps it has nothing to do with the Star Wars universe and more to do with how well we can manipulate technology to display our imaginations in the current day vs. 35 years ago when the original movies were released.

jarjarloves
01.02.2012 , 09:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Ya they "seem" more advanced, that doesn't mean they are more advanced then the Clone Wars and GCW eras.
correct in the Clone Wars they were able to give battle droids the ability to be affraid and run for their lives...................... great idea..

Wraithstrike
01.02.2012 , 09:17 PM | #10
Either way, there is no paper in Star Wars