Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Skype vs Vent

Aerrus
12.13.2011 , 09:44 PM | #21
Skype has a maximum number of users per call so you can't invite your guild of 50 players into one skype call. If its with a party of friends like 4-5, (i think the max is 12 ppl in a skype call but don't quote me on this) then id say use skype. It allows you to instant message too if your not in a call.

Other than that if you have a guild I would definitely use vent because it can be moderated and organized as well as fit as many people as you pay for.

Kretschmer
12.13.2011 , 09:51 PM | #22
I would recommend trying Raidcall. Each account gets a free 50 man server! No strings attached, and the voice quality is quite good. I am using it over ventrilo, teamspeak, skype, mumble, etc. http://raidcall.com/

Kurindrix
12.13.2011 , 09:54 PM | #23
Some of my gamer friends use Skype and if I am not mistaken it does not have a "Push to Talk" (PTT) option, which means you hear EVERYTHING on both sides. I am not a fan because you hear their squeaking chair, keyboard, game music/sounds, burps, farts, cussing, screaming kids, private family talks, etc. With PPT, you can set a global HOT KEY so that you can press that key combo in-game which only activates your MIC and their MIC when you need to talk.

I started using RaidCall which gives you a free group (up to 50 people) chat room, PPT and may of the same features as Ventrillo and TeamSpeak... without the cost of monthly chat room hosting. It is totally free, light weight (on memory and processing) and crystal clear.

NateEH
12.13.2011 , 09:56 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Timotheh View Post
Used Mumble once, great quality and it auto adjusted volumes, but setting up is not for the uninitiated. Vent remains the standard, but constantly adjusting individual volumes blows.
You should Google "normalize ventrilo settings"...set it up and it works like a champ.

TheDirtyRider
12.13.2011 , 10:07 PM | #25
Team Speak 3 is what I will be using.
EvE Online: Hal Safon
CEO: Tear Production and Manufacturing Services

Oireg
12.13.2011 , 10:21 PM | #26
Just use Xfire or skype, if your looking to join a guild they'll probably require voice chat and already have a guild voice server running. That's what will decide which platform you use.

Tshain
12.13.2011 , 10:30 PM | #27
Vent is the standard for large guilds, but skype is much better for small personal groups. If you are in a team of 5 or less I would recommend skype, because of the clarity and ease of communication. Larger teams require vent for management purposes.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.

Bneyards
12.13.2011 , 10:32 PM | #28
Ive used all from Skype, to Vent, Teamspeak and Mumble and would have to say the best by far is Teamspeak3.

LordAlastor
12.13.2011 , 10:36 PM | #29
Teamspeak.
Evil is but a certain point of view.

BradOleksy
12.13.2011 , 10:55 PM | #30
vent rocks. skype is good for calling grandma in florida