Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary PvP

DarthNofu
01.02.2012 , 12:08 PM | #1
Hey guys. An Arsenal Merc here and I love to PvP. Now before, I never thought of my class as bad in PvP. Some games I get wiped because the other team is good, or I dominate because mine is good or the other team sucks. However, reading these forums has put the thought in my head.

Which is better for PvP?

Now I am talking about Pyrotech and Arsenal. I want to be more efficient in PvP as a Mercenary! Do not tell me to re-roll. Not this far into the game. Do not tell me Mercs suck at PvP. I have proven to myself they don't. Do not tell me Arsenal is like a turret, because it is not to me.

Some notes:

Level 28 Arsenal Merc
Doesn't use AoE much unless given the oppurtunity.
I am more worried about the objective than kills, but I do love medals.

Here are my thoughts:

Arsenal will do more damage and get me more kills, but Pyrotech will help more for damage and objective, seeing as how objectives require a cast and damage breaks that.

So which is better? I want some proof and a build if you can! Thanks!

saido
01.02.2012 , 12:36 PM | #2
I'm thinking of looking at Pyro for dots which help in WZs as the enemy can't take objectives while taking damage.
- Saido -
Saido (Bounty Hunter) | Geden (Marauder) | Arkada (Sniper)
REIGN

Raideen
01.02.2012 , 12:36 PM | #3
The answer is to reroll powertech before you waste the time to get to 50 as mercenary.

I can not stress this enough. I am serious and if you do not heed this advice, you will be here at 50 crying like the rest of us.

Just do yourself a favor, delete that toon and start over as powertech. The powertech pyro > merc pyro. Merc arsenal is not even remotely viable in pvp when you are against a premade. You will get zerged 100% of the time and spend more time dead then alive.

At low levels (or before 50's existed) arsenal feels fine, if not somewhat OP. This is just like the wow hunter. Leveling a wow hunter they 3 shot people..but at 85 the tables are turned 180 degrees.
[[||||||]()Ξ████████████████████████████████████████)

Moddim
01.02.2012 , 12:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Raideen View Post
The answer is to reroll powertech before you waste the time to get to 50 as mercenary.

I can not stress this enough. I am serious and if you do not heed this advice, you will be here at 50 crying like the rest of us.

Just do yourself a favor, delete that toon and start over as powertech. The powertech pyro > merc pyro. Merc arsenal is not even remotely viable in pvp when you are against a premade. You will get zerged 100% of the time and spend more time dead then alive.

At low levels (or before 50's existed) arsenal feels fine, if not somewhat OP. This is just like the wow hunter. Leveling a wow hunter they 3 shot people..but at 85 the tables are turned 180 degrees.

Damn sounds like Merc was a perfect choice for me given I got gladiator 3 times on my hunter. @OP, If you are high enough level to get the required arsenal talents then pyro may be better imo. However at lower levels its awful due to not having the pretty much core lower tier talents of arsenal.

DarthNofu
01.02.2012 , 04:15 PM | #5

I'm glad you read the whole post I said. I read this whole forum and I know your groups complaints. Can't 1v1. Can't survive. BLAH BLAH BLAH. The Arsenal is powerful with the right gear (AKA pvp gear) and has its own strategy. I also understand I will get roflstomped by a pre-made. Most people should. This game is team based, not everyone go be a hero.

Also, I have 20 valor. Not high but still takes a good amount of games to get to. I never have less than five medals and die like 4 times. One time I died ten but that is because my frustration got over me. I am fine with this. With three tracer missiles, rail shot, then heat seeking, it doesn't matter for me.

With melee, all I need to do is concussion missile them. Heal, then back up. They want to break it? Go for it. Electro dart! Then, I can get one more CC off and guess where my jet boost is going? RIGHT THERE! I am not worried about killing either.

Anyone else want to tell me they think it sucks needing strategy to win? Cuz that is my favorite part.

(Also have a level 32 Gunnery Trooper. Mirror class.)

Quote:
Damn sounds like Merc was a perfect choice for me given I got gladiator 3 times on my hunter. @OP, If you are high enough level to get the required arsenal talents then pyro may be better imo. However at lower levels its awful due to not having the pretty much core lower tier talents of arsenal.
I am already level 30. Eleven more levels and I have what I want. Arsenal was a great choice for me at first, I just want to know if Pyrotech MERCENARY was a better choice for PvP overall.

LarkBenson
01.02.2012 , 07:55 PM | #6
I've been playing pyro since about 25ish or so and I love it. It's a completely different playstyle though and not suited to everyone. With pyro you're perpetually on the move, and you really should only ever stand still for the occasional heal, conc, fusion missile and unload/power shot to set up rail. You're not going to burst people down like you would with arsenal, but you're able to put out much better sustained damage which is great as long as you know how to use it. Chasing down that ball carrier? Trying to kite melee? Pillar humping and using line of sight to harass people trying to capture objectives? Being able to mix instants and casts gives the spec a lot more versatility than arsenal in my opinion.

That being said, it's not all roses. Without dispel protection, good players can shut you down with properly used dispels. You can't stand toe to toe with other casters and you can't burst down healers (though you'll find that you can LOS casters and beat them that way instead). And your snare relies on proc'ing from your rapid shot, so it can be unreliable at times.

It really comes down to what you enjoy in PvP. If you're more of a 'kill everything in sight' kind of person, arsenal is likely your spec. If you're more objectives focussed, pyro might be for you.

DarthNofu
01.02.2012 , 10:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LarkBenson View Post
It really comes down to what you enjoy in PvP. If you're more of a 'kill everything in sight' kind of person, arsenal is likely your spec. If you're more objectives focussed, pyro might be for you.
What if I am both :O

TheJollyRogers
01.02.2012 , 10:07 PM | #8

Not crying. Not experiencing any of what you are saying. I play with my guild (zerodefect, a guild full of ex-WoW gladiators) vs. other big PvP guilds on a daily basis and I absolutely love this class.

Don't listen to these whiners.
Battlemaster Cocytus - Level 50 Pyrotech Mercenary Bounty Hunter - Battle Buddies - Rakata Mind Prison (PvP)
Slaughterhouse - Level 25 Dirty Fighting Gunslinger - Trained Professionals - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP)

LarkBenson
01.02.2012 , 10:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthNofu View Post
What if I am both :O
Well then just pick the one that suits your playstyle and try to adapt it to what you want to do. Or re-roll sorc.

Raideen
01.03.2012 , 02:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Moddim View Post

You got glad because you were carried by two FOTM classes...plain and simple. Even the korean dude that own the tourny made a ton of mistakes, but easily undone by the DK holy pally combo
[[||||||]()Ξ████████████████████████████████████████)